diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my Xterra Pro out for the first ever hunt in a very trashy park site. I have found some old jewelry there with my V540 but the pickings have been slim. Set up the XTerra Pro in Park 2, 5Khz frequency. Had three separate occasions of 94-96 VDI and high tones thinking I was on silver but when dug turned out to be fairly deep (6"-7") foil.

I'm new to Single Frequency and the XTerra Pro. Any ideas for a quick way to distinguish between this trash and a good target?

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe try the other 2 frequencies on foil to see what tone/ID you get?
A test garden is a good way to learn what the detector is telling you.
Depending on your soil mineralization where you are hunting, I have been seeing that 10 kHz seems to be the better frequency on these Xterra Pros.
I have yet to get mine out since I bought it. For some reason my grass keeps growing and needs mowed😆plus all the spring season yard work that has to be done.

OP
OP
diamonddave

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe try the other 2 frequencies on foil to see what tone/ID you get?
That sounds like a plan for the next time out. Agreed, I need to get that test garden planted. Thanks!

Forgot to mention that I was running sensitivity at 18 and recovery at 2. These foil signals sounded like a deep silver dime would squeak on my Vanquish. I even wondered if it was some kind of silver foil.

I will say that I dug very little, if any, iron or nails with the XTerra Pro and the pinpoint was spot-on. Dug lots of clad coins so not bad for the first time out.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like a plan for the next time out. Agreed, I need to get that test garden planted. Thanks!

Forgot to mention that I was running sensitivity at 18 and recovery at 2. These foil signals sounded like a deep silver dime would squeak on my Vanquish. I even wondered if it was some kind of silver foil.

I will say that I dug very little, if any, iron or nails with the XTerra Pro and the pinpoint was spot-on. Dug lots of clad coins so not bad for the first time out.
That’s good to know about the iron. I can’t wait to get mine out.😀👍

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread