Z-Lynk WT users on the ATP

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Hi all,

Got some questions some of you might already have solved. Since Iā€™m not a believer in reinventing the wheel, here I go:

1. I have an ATPro so obviously have to use the two pin but the included attachment doesnā€™t have the O-ring. Did yours? Obviously I canā€™t take the WT-1 in the water but since this lack of an O-ring affects the water integrity of the detector itself, Iā€™m left wondering if they missed the part.

2. Does anyone wrap the WT in anything to give it some measure of water protection from rain or the wet grass? The unit itself looks fairly solid but the USB micro port and connection would obviously seem like a weak point.

3. Do I need to consider zip tying the cable to the rod for stability of the connection?

4. Anything I havenā€™t thought of yet?

Dig

Last edited:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Got some questions some of you might already have solved. Since Iā€™m not a believer in reinventing the wheel, here I go:

1. I have an ATPro so obviously have to use the two pin but the included attachment doesnā€™t have the O-ring. Did yours? Obviously I canā€™t take the WT-1 in the water but since this lack of an O-ring affects the water integrity of the detector itself, Iā€™m left wondering if they missed the part.

2. Does anyone wrap the WT in anything to give it some measure of water protection from rain or the wet grass? The unit itself looks fairly solid but the USB micro port and connection would obviously seem like a weak point.

3. Do I need to consider zip tying the cable to the rod for stability of the connection?

4. Anything I havenā€™t thought of yet?

Dig

Since the unit is not designed to be used in water I don't see the need for the o-ring as you should remove the cable prior to getting it wet. Of course adding one shouldn't hurt. I couldn't remember if mine came with one so I went and checked and there was none on mine either.

As for wrapping the unit I haven't tried it but I can't see a problem doing so. I used a velcro strap to secure the cable to the shaft. Most hobby shops will have them. So far I haven't seen any problem with the connections but it shouldn't be an issue if the cable is routed correctly and secured.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Since the unit is not designed to be used in water I don't see the need for the o-ring as you should remove the cable prior to getting it wet. Of course adding one shouldn't hurt. I couldn't remember if mine came with one so I went and checked and there was none on mine either.

As for wrapping the unit I haven't tried it but I can't see a problem doing so. I used a velcro strap to secure the cable to the shaft. Most hobby shops will have them. So far I haven't seen any problem with the connections but it shouldn't be an issue if the cable is routed correctly and secured.

Thanks for responding BT. I was thinking more about being in the rain or falling in a puddle. Super unlikely but youā€™d think for the penny it costs Garrett for that ring...

Great idea using velcro straps! I have rolls of them I bought for putting together internet cables and the top/bottom of my fishing rods. Canā€™t believe I didnā€™t think of that myself [emoji2359]

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Follow up questions/observations after first day of use:

Iā€™m left wondering why I didnā€™t trigger the purchase a long time ago. So nice to be able to cut that cord!

Observation 1: Because of the length of the connection cord, you have to have the jack pointing up. I would have preferred they had a little extra length on that cord so the unit could sit 180*. Seems like the current set up risks aiding gravity letting water in the WT if you get caught in a little rain.

Observation 2: A couple of times it seemed like a really trashy area the signals were too rapid to transmit. I suspect this was normal vs. wired and probably confirmation bias because I was paying attention to the behaviour more than I otherwise might have instead of just dealing with it.

Question: Recharge? Most of my hunts average 3 hours with 1-7 days between hunts. Do you usually recharge after each hunt?

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually recharge the night before. It does seem to lose a bit sitting in storage. It is easy enough to do so why not? I do the same with my Nox 800.

OP
OP
D

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
I usually recharge the night before. It does seem to lose a bit sitting in storage. It is easy enough to do so why not? I do the same with my Nox 800.

True enough BT. I was thinking from the stand point of shortening battery life over the long term if recharging too often but I suppose Iā€™d be way more annoyed having a dead head set in the middle of a hunt vs. having to buy a new set in 5 years.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True enough BT. I was thinking from the stand point of shortening battery life over the long term if recharging too often but I suppose Iā€™d be way more annoyed having a dead head set in the middle of a hunt vs. having to buy a new set in 5 years.
Most of the rechargeable items sold today are using lithium batteries which have no memory like the old ni-cad ones. They stay charged longer and last longer in use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread