Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to All, :hello: :hello: :hello: :hello:

I found these a few years back and I am not sure if they are Folsom, Clovis, or what? Any input would be greatly appreciated. The middle one is approximately 6" in length. Thanks for looking. :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

H_S

artifs[1]A.jpg

Upvote 0

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Havilah_Springs said:
Hello to All,
I found these a few years back and I am not sure if they are Folsom, Clovis, or what? Any input would be greatly appreciated. The middle one is approximately 6" in length. Thanks for looking.
H_S

You found them?

I would very much like to hear some of the details of such a discovery.

11KBP

OP
OP
Havilah_Springs

Havilah_Springs

Oct 23, 2011
VENTURA COUNTY, CA
Detector(s) used
WHITES EAGLE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
11KBP said:
Havilah_Springs said:
Hello to All,
I found these a few years back and I am not sure if they are Folsom, Clovis, or what? Any input would be greatly appreciated. The middle one is approximately 6" in length. Thanks for looking.
H_S

You found them?

I would very much like to hear some of the details of such a discovery.

11KBP

Well, to start with, let me clarify that these were not found all at one time nor at the same sites. I was a Fire Fighter in Las Vegas, Nevada, and my Engineer and I would always go treasure hunting on our days off (every other day). We have both been retired now for several years, he moved to Arkansas and I to California. We both share the same birthday so we make it a tradition to met somewhere once a year in February and Treasure Hunt.

The point on the far left was found in a boxed canyon East of China Lake (Naval Station), California. The middle point was found near some stone hunting blinds on top of a cliff along the Muddy River in Nevada. This site also had human figures made out of stacked stone to resemble hunters. The last point (far right) was found on the edge of a mesa South / East of Trinidad, Colorado.

We have been picking areas that might produce some ancient finds as we only get together once a year. We have a neat dry cave East of Alamo, Nevada picked out for our next birthday (snow permitting). We have found a lot of Paleos here in the Southern California desert as well.

Thanks for looking and asking.

H_S

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Was there someone else hunting with you or possibly in front of you?

I hate to be the naysayer here but they mostly look to be reproductions. Like Joshua has said, the one on the right is almost certainly a McCormick folsom. Marvin McCormick made thousands of Folsom points like that one mostly of colorful Alibates flint. That one is almost certainly a McCormick.

Here's a link to the McCormick story: http://ele.net/mccormick/mccormick.htm

The one in the center is not made like any folsom or clovis points. The edgework looks like something you would see on slabbed flint pieces. The flutes don't look correct at all in my opinion.

The one on the left could be legit but based on the others I'm fairly skeptical.

Hippy

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece in the middle is a killer. I would like to see the tools, and other artifacts in association with your finds.

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Id be very suspicious of the middle point ,although it does resemble a redstone,its hard to believe it was found,or even authentic for that matter,if so we are talking a 5000 dollar point,just alot for me to swallow :-\

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
WV sifter said:
Id be very suspicious of the middle point ,although it does resemble a redstone,its hard to believe it was found,or even authentic for that matter,if so we are talking a 5000 dollar point,just alot for me to swallow :-\

An eastern Redstone made from Texas flint found in Nevada should be very hard to swallow.

N

natchitoches

lol
you got real pro. here, telling you it not real.
you have ears and can't not hear

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
i know not material. i only know western and paleo points by what i see and read. books Tnet-AIA forum and last and some say least projectile point .com. if i had found those three points here in Tennessee i would have called them all [Plainviews] they fit the plainview out lines and few points that could find with so calledgood ID, and if i had got these comments i would be on my way to a friend in another area to check them out if i had not allready done so befor i posted. Terry

latrans

Apr 9, 2009
Hippy said:
Was there someone else hunting with you or possibly in front of you?

I hate to be the naysayer here but they mostly look to be reproductions. Like Joshua has said, the one on the right is almost certainly a McCormick folsom. Marvin McCormick made thousands of Folsom points like that one mostly of colorful Alibates flint. That one is almost certainly a McCormick.

Here's a link to the McCormick story: http://ele.net/mccormick/mccormick.htm

The one in the center is not made like any folsom or clovis points. The edgework looks like something you would see on slabbed flint pieces. The flutes don't look correct at all in my opinion.

The one on the left could be legit but based on the others I'm fairly skeptical.

Hippy

To my the one on the left is the one that is most obviously a modern repro but otherwise I agree completely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions