whitch is deeper

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would love to find a goldscan 5 or even better the waterproof version of the goldscan 5 what i may end up getting is a whites tdi and waterproofing it. dont know if i could ever become confident enough to skip over/not dig a target. but the excessive deep digging might help.
chuck

Craig-PI said:
The ability for a detector to find small gold has alot to do with the pulse delay... Eric Fosters machines have a adjustable pulse delay getting down to 10uS (microseconds) the DF and Headhunter PI are in the 15 to 17 micro-second range, the Sand Shark is around 22uS meaning the detectors closer to the EF machine will pick up smaller gold deeper... some beaches have trouble though with a pulse delay of 10uS

Personally I have run a pulse for 8 years and found quite a bit of gold... I don't think I have missed much if any unless it was deeper than my detector can see... in the beginning I dug everything and got frustrated digging tiny staples down close to a foot but I became very good with my machine and know it very well so I can and do discriminate by ear as do my hunting friends... with the DF even though its a 1 tone machine there is subtle differences to that tone... iron for the most part is a long drawn out tone, gold... its hard to explain but the best way is its a clean round tone (smooth) I have been running a Whites for 8 years... I know it very well... :)

seeker41 said:
ok i will chime in..............anytime you do not dig something based on its tone or id or lack of tone or desirable id, you are taking the risk of missing something good! using any detector on planet earth. when you dont dig you are playing the odds, its your choice as to how much of a gambler you are.

i do own an excal and i also plan on getting a pi detector in the near future for its depth in salt , i dont care if i will be digging alot i expect that.

as for the original question....... a pi detector, from everything i have ever read is significantly deeper than vlf machines.
match a cz20 with a excal and you are equal on depth depending on each machines calibration.
match a good pi with either of these and the pi wins by a significant amount as far as depth is concerned.

anyone want to bring up the question of ..........."ability to detect micro-gold and very tiny gold items" which detector is better at that?

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
biggmike said:
Can Slaw said:
seeker41 said:
anyone know how to close this "which ones better/deeper" Pandora's box? ::) :laughing7:

Why?? The post does not have to be read if it is not a subject people are interested in. Personally, I am enjoying the comments about PI's and reading the comments from people that don't have a clue.

I do have a clue that PI hunters have a bucket full of iron in their garage though...

That is not a 100% correct. I have a PI and the only iron in my garage are my tools and cars. I use the PI in deep water where trash is at a minimum and the Excalibur in shallow water where the trash is most common. Again, it comes down to the right tool for the right job. Both detectors are in my truck and hunting conditions will dictate which detector gets used for the day.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look, I use the CZ21 and I have a bucket of iron in my garage. I just can't pass up some nice sounding low tones but I guess it's whatever makes you happy. If I could afford it I probably would have about 5 different detectors. If I was at a clean beach then I guess of course I would want the PI. Trashy beach maybe something different. If I was hunting a wreck then PI would probably be best but there are places I go that I have a very limited time to hunt where I try to skip all but middle tones so it is just what works best for you. :icon_pirat:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
CS
Again, it comes down to the right tool for the right job.
:thumbsup:

And Research on your locations................ special, if your hunting for the Old Gold..

My Honest opinion................................Someday this maybe the best hunting, or the only if you still want to find Gold

Good Luck on your choice

My Excalibur's Back ups..........

Attachments

• SNAG-0005_(2).jpg
    SNAG-0005_(2).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 681
  • SNAG-0005_(2).jpg
    SNAG-0005_(2).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 669

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
CS

And Research on your locations................ special, if your hunting for the Old Gold..

My Honest opinion................................Someday this maybe the best hunting, or the only if you still want to find Gold

Good Luck on your choice

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about OBN :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my water arsonal, the only change is the Excal second from the left now has the SEF 12"x15" Butterfly coil...

DSCF2033.jpg

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Joe... When you finally retire and you make your trip to connecticut leave the Excal home because I am going to take you to my gold beach :laughing7: you won't need discrimination there but you will need that extra depth ;D PI JOE and I are going to tire you out :thumbsup:

OldeBeechnut said:
CS

Good Luck on your choice

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
For a while Whites was toying with the idea of waterproofing the TDI, I recently spoke with them and that isn't going to happen but its my understanding its going to be upgraded...

seeker41 said:
i would love to find a goldscan 5 or even better the waterproof version of the goldscan 5 what i may end up getting is a whites tdi and waterproofing it. dont know if i could ever become confident enough to skip over/not dig a target. but the excessive deep digging might help.
chuck

Craig-PI said:
The ability for a detector to find small gold has alot to do with the pulse delay... Eric Fosters machines have a adjustable pulse delay getting down to 10uS (microseconds) the DF and Headhunter PI are in the 15 to 17 micro-second range, the Sand Shark is around 22uS meaning the detectors closer to the EF machine will pick up smaller gold deeper... some beaches have trouble though with a pulse delay of 10uS

Personally I have run a pulse for 8 years and found quite a bit of gold... I don't think I have missed much if any unless it was deeper than my detector can see... in the beginning I dug everything and got frustrated digging tiny staples down close to a foot but I became very good with my machine and know it very well so I can and do discriminate by ear as do my hunting friends... with the DF even though its a 1 tone machine there is subtle differences to that tone... iron for the most part is a long drawn out tone, gold... its hard to explain but the best way is its a clean round tone (smooth) I have been running a Whites for 8 years... I know it very well... :)

seeker41 said:
ok i will chime in..............anytime you do not dig something based on its tone or id or lack of tone or desirable id, you are taking the risk of missing something good! using any detector on planet earth. when you dont dig you are playing the odds, its your choice as to how much of a gambler you are.

i do own an excal and i also plan on getting a pi detector in the near future for its depth in salt , i dont care if i will be digging alot i expect that.

as for the original question....... a pi detector, from everything i have ever read is significantly deeper than vlf machines.
match a cz20 with a excal and you are equal on depth depending on each machines calibration.
match a good pi with either of these and the pi wins by a significant amount as far as depth is concerned.

anyone want to bring up the question of ..........."ability to detect micro-gold and very tiny gold items" which detector is better at that?

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
I like what you did with your GT there :thumbsup: I have been thinking about doing that or finding a older Excal NY... I know a guy in CT but he doesn't want to part with it...

Treasure_Hunter said:
Here is my water arsonal, the only change is the Excal second from the left now has the SEF 12"x15" Butterfly coil...

DSCF2033.jpg

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from what i understand, eric foster has given whites all of his "recorded knowledge" on pi detectors!! so they will probably have some great machines in the near future.
chuck.

Craig-PI said:
For a while Whites was toying with the idea of waterproofing the TDI, I recently spoke with them and that isn't going to happen but its my understanding its going to be upgraded...

seeker41 said:
chuck

Craig-PI said:

seeker41 said:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe... When you finally retire and you make your trip to connecticut leave the Excal home because I am going to take you to my gold beach you won't need discrimination there but you will need that extra depth PI JOE and I are going to tire you out

Sounds like a deal, I've got my Mustang Survival Suit ready(MSD900)

Watching and Advice from you will prepare me for the Bay here..I see only the PI's being used then and I just hope I can be as successful as you.... With over "60" old beach's in the Bay I see another PI coming soon to the herd.......Maybe the Detector Pro HH? or a aqua sound..

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure Hunter, You have a great looking arsenal, no wonder no one is finding any gold in Florida..

Question for you....Not looking for any ship wrecks, and Unless you have a big storm would coverage (big coil) be the most important thing around where you hunt since there are so many hunters and fresh drops would be the targets. Or are there possible targets that have been passed by and sunk deeper and one would need a PI....I guess alot would have to do with the weather, location and sand conditions?

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
The Detector Pro Headhunter and the Dual Field have the same pulse delay setting as well as depth... If I wanted to add a detector and it was another PI I would try and find a old Barracuda they are sweet...
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/anchor-electronics-barracuda

OldeBeechnut said:
Joe... When you finally retire and you make your trip to connecticut leave the Excal home because I am going to take you to my gold beach you won't need discrimination there but you will need that extra depth PI JOE and I are going to tire you out

Sounds like a deal, I've got my Mustang Survival Suit ready(MSD900)

Watching and Advice from you will prepare me for the Bay here..I see only the PI's being used then and I just hope I can be as successful as you.... With over "60" old beach's in the Bay I see another PI coming soon to the herd.......Maybe the Detector Pro HH? or a aqua sound..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
Treasure Hunter, You have a great looking arsenal, no wonder no one is finding any gold in Florida..

Question for you....Not looking for any ship wrecks, and Unless you have a big storm would coverage (big coil) be the most important thing around where you hunt since there are so many hunters and fresh drops would be the targets. Or are there possible targets that have been passed by and sunk deeper and one would need a PI....I guess alot would have to do with the weather, location and sand conditions?

Currently on the east coast beaches I hunt we have a lot of fresh sand, poles on the beach that use to be over my head by a couple feet are now waist to chest deep....

I can not stand to hunt with 8-10 inch coils, I want hunt with less than a 15 inch coil...... There are a lot of tiny pieces of iron on the beaches here, as far as PI, I personally have no desire to dig for iron, you would have to ask someone who owns one......I know I am getting 15-18 inches easily on my detectors and digging no iron so I am happy with that......

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Mr.Bill is a friend of mine and we talk quite a bit... I was going to send him my DF but with the way I am finding gold I decided not to.. its my understanding that he can tweak it to see very small gold but I have found gold rings that weigh less than a gram at considerable depth.. who knows maybe someday I'll have him tweak it but right now I'm good...
Jason in Enid said:
Craig-PI said:
The Detector Pro Headhunter and the Dual Field have the same pulse delay setting as well as depth... If I wanted to add a detector and it was another PI I would try and find a old Barracuda they are sweet...
http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/anchor-electronics-barracuda

Have you ever sent your PIs to Mr. Bill to tweek them?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In my way above post I said we tested my White's against a Garrett and an Aqua Pulse, it wasnt an Aqua Pulse, that one wasnt working too well so it wasnt used, it was a J W Fisher Pulse 10. They felt the J W Fisher wasnt as good as the old Garrett mark II, but it sure wasnt as good as the White's. I would have neither of those, but the Aqua Pulse looked good, but I dont know anything about its pulse rate or power or anything. It had a probe, a 15" coil and an 8" coil. It wasnt working so good though. I will stick with my 15 year old White's. Never once a problem and it finds the gold. It beat the others I tested hands down. I dont know who would buy a J W Fishers, they are weak, have low pulse rate, and definitly arent made to find gold jewelry. You can use one right next to another Pulse 10, and it wont get noisy unless real close.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I don't know. PI is great. But an Excalibur with a treasure amp would be pretty hard to beat.

Thanks Joe / aka OldBeechnut for this link.......

I need to get one of those amps and give it a try.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be interesting to try it on my Sovereign GT with a large coil..............

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
I respect Joe and like him alot... at the time he did this test he didn't have the time in with the DF... bottom line... I have spoken about repeatable signal dropouts in the threshold which are very deep targets... he knows now as he has heard them.. a pulse machine isn't a turn on and go machine... it has a learning curve for sure...

steve from ohio said:
I don't know. PI is great. But an Excalibur with a treasure amp would be pretty hard to beat.

Thanks Joe / aka OldBeechnut for this link.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8v0lBff1lU

I need to get one of those amps and give it a try.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread