Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MY sea hunter will go 10 to 12" deeper than an excal. By Garrett

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, any PI will be deeper than an Excal. But you dont know what you are finding. I tested an old Garrett Sea hunter 500, I dont know which model you have Ron, but it was weaker than my White's Pi Pro, and even weaker than a stock white's PI. By about 4-5 inches less on everything. Plus it would not hit very good on gold jewelry (had to be right near it, if it even would pick it up at all)and nothing on stainless steel. That is why we tested it, because I got a huge hit, and was fanning, and scraping with my hands, and my buddy who had the Garrrett could not hear it at all. I dug down another foot and it was a thin piece of stainless pointing straight up. He could not get the stainless to beep even right on it. That is when we did a side by side test.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
My Sea Hunter will go about 2-3" deeper than my excal but not 10-12". HH

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know but I am happy with my Ecal. If I want a change I go out with my Whites Surfmaster II.....Matt

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one is the deepest. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

OKM eXp 4000 Pro
Ground Penetrating Instruments and Metal Detectors. Built with German Precision - Backed with American Support
okm
The eXp 4000 is the successor of the eXp 3000. Advanced technology allows measurements in brilliant resolutions up to depth of 25m (Over 80 feet). The handling is easy and possible without the need of a laptop. The measurement unit of the eXp 4000 includes a pc-module where the data will be displayed immediately on the color screen. All measured data will be stored in the internal memory and can be transferred to a normalokm eXp 4000 computer to evaluate and determine depth, size and position of targets with our optional software Visualizer 3D.

The eXp 4000 has many different functions especially for treasure hunters.

image.php

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want to go deeper than the Excal 1000, put a larger coil on the Excal. I have 2 Excals one has the WOT coil hard wired on, the other has the SEF 12"x15" Butterfly coil hard wired on it. I get a good 15+ inches on both. I also have a Sovereign GT with the SEF 15"X18" Butterfly coil on it and the depth is amazing....

Your going deeper, but still not digging any iron trash, no bobby pins, no fish hooks, no iron trash...... :icon_thumright:

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
ron lord said:
MY sea hunter will go 10 to 12" deeper than an excal. By Garrett

Maybe 2 to 3 inches but not a 10 to 12 no way... maybe on iron ;D I hunt with both my DF and GT, I know the capabilities of both... ;)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all detector of the same brand are made equal, just like not all Blondes are the same. As Treasure Hunter said a larger coil not only covers more ground but goes deeper too.

PI's are deeper than most Excal's, but how much time are you wasting digging all those hairpins at over a foot? :laughing7:

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sandman said:
Not all detector of the same brand are made equal, just like not all Blondes are the same. As Treasure Hunter said a larger coil not only covers more ground but goes deeper too.

PI's are deeper than most Excal's, but how much time are you wasting digging all those hairpins at over a foot? :laughing7:

I keep reading about hairpins and such... if you are a good hunter... you won't dig those double beeps or stratchy tones... I dig only narrow sounding tones or whispers... a person good with his PI will out hunt a vlf user most times including the Excal and dig no more trash than he does...

There is room for both the PI and the VLF on the beach..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craig-PI said:
Sandman said:

I keep reading about hairpins and such... if you are a good hunter... you won't dig those double beeps or stratchy tones... I dig only narrow sounding tones or whispers... a person good with his PI will out hunt a vlf user most times including the Excal and dig no more trash than he does...

So your saying all bobby pins, fish hooks, iron trash and tiny pieces of iron wire from crab traps will always give you a double beep or stratchy tone?......I have hunted with other hunters who used PI's on the beaches and they were still digging deep holes for tiny pieces of iron that I could tell with one sweep of my Minelab was a piece of iron... On a clean beach a PI is the way to go, but on most of our beaches here there is a ton of iron trash.....

PI JOE

Feb 17, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field White's IDX-PRO Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Craig-PI said:
Sandman said:

So your saying all bobby pins, fish hooks, iron trash and tiny pieces of iron wire from crab traps will always give you a double beep or stratchy tone?......I have hunted with other hunters who used PI's on the beaches and they were still digging deep holes for tiny pieces of iron that I could tell with one sweep of my Minelab was a piece of iron... On a clean beach a PI is the way to go, but on most of our beaches here there is a ton of iron trash.....

Treasure Hunter, Craig and I will only START to dig the trash you mention if we get a very deep whisper/faint sound.....no one knows until one,two or more scoops later. Once we know is trash, We move on. I hunt with the DetectorPro HH PI for the past seven yrs. with over 1000 hrs of used. As you know, A good hunter has to be in the same page with has detector to understand whats being said.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
I have to be honest where I hunt in Connecticut I never dug part of a crab trap or lobster trap so I have no idea what it sounds like... but fish hooks, wire, nails and bobbiepins are a scratchy tone or double hitting tone and I don't dig them... I have read where some say can be a ring on end I have never found anything good on these double or scratchy tones....in the beginning I dug everything.. I have really learned my pulse machine as have my hunting partners... we all use pulse machines in the water here... As Joe has said we may investigate a target that gives a iffy signal but for the most part we are listening for a short narrow signature... even the deep whispers have to have a small signature for me to dig it.. it hasn't hurt my gold totals especially up here where we don't enjoy water temps over 75 and our swim swim season is very short... some of the beaches I hunt on if they have a 100 people on it... its crowded...

I'd be cleaning up if I was down south but I don't care for sharks ;D

Treasure_Hunter said:
Craig-PI said:
Sandman said:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting with a PI isn't easy but as Treasure Hunter said, it does leave some gold rings in the ground, expecially the white gold ones which hold the rocks more times than not. Rings also with a broken band will give a double bip. Also second guessing the target by taking a couple scoops off the surface wastes time which you can better use to sweep for the solid hit especially if you fill your holes as you should. An Excal with a larger coil than standard is as deep as most Pulse units and you won't scoop tiny iron. :coffee2:

I've done the PI thing and finally gave it up when I saw the light and the muscles were weaker.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sorry but that info on white gold is wrong... they bang the same as yellow gold does... I have never had a double tone digging a broken gold ring with my Dual Field or PI PRO... pulse hunters are going to find the gold a vlf user can't even here... I don't care if you are running a WOT... I know quite well what a Excal can and can't do as I ran one... don't get me wrong its a very good machine.. :icon_thumleft:

Sandman said:
Hunting with a PI isn't easy but as Treasure Hunter said, it does leave some gold rings in the ground, expecially the white gold ones which hold the rocks more times than not. Rings also with a broken band will give a double bip. Also second guessing the target by taking a couple scoops off the surface wastes time which you can better use to sweep for the solid hit especially if you fill your holes as you should. An Excal with a larger coil than standard is as deep as most Pulse units and you won't scoop tiny iron. :coffee2:

I've done the PI thing and finally gave it up when I saw the light and the muscles were weaker.

PI JOE

Feb 17, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field White's IDX-PRO Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:

Anyone who hunts with us who doesn't fill their holes won't hunt with us again..... believe it! Like I said before, A good hunter has to be in the same page with has detector to understand whats being said......with that said, I don't have to second guess, I am talking about a very very deep whisper/faint target...do you know what it is......I don't! Anyone here or any other forums that say they know, I'll be the first one to call them a liar...Believe it! I love the Excal, The best VLF on the beaches, But when its time to go in the water, PI's rule. One more thing, You go a head and keep Believing the Excal will go deeper with a larger coil then my PI or the DF......we CT. boys know better and so does Gary Drayton from FL., Is finds speaks for itself.....what you think he was using before the DF, You got it...........Excal.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI JOE said:
Sandman said:

Anyone who hunts with us who doesn't fill their holes won't hunt with us again..... believe it! Like I said before, A good hunter has to be in the same page with has detector to understand whats being said......with that said, I don't have to second guess, I am talking about a very very deep whisper/faint target...do you know what it is......I don't! Anyone here or any other forums that say they know, I'll be the first one to call them a liar...Believe it! I love the Excal, The best VLF on the beaches, But when its time to go in the water, PI's rule. One more thing, You go a head and keep Believing the Excal will go deeper with a larger coil then my PI or the DF......we CT. boys know better and so does Gary Drayton from FL., Is finds speaks for itself.....what you think he was using before the DF, You got it...........Excal.
Your the first person that Ive ever heard say they dig no iron with a PI. You should open a school.

digging41

Sep 7, 2008
After only having the Sea hunter for a short while I have come to the conclusion that it is pretty much a beep and dig machine.I do not discriminate any signals and you can definitely hear the double beep of hair pins which seem to fall off so frequently in the lakes I go to.Having said that, the other day I was out at the lake and got a double beep and it turned out to be a split silver ring. If I had any intentions of not digging the double beep I think they are all gone.The Seahunter is sometimes frustratingly deep especially when I am in a rocky area trying to retrieve a target. I would like to have the money to try out an excal because it must make hunting a little easier in trashy areas.
Since I am am in an area where there is very little hunting pressure, I can hunt at my leasure just enjoying the outdoors and the sounds of silver, gold and coins going in the scoop. While I dont get out as often as I would like and have not found a lot of gold with the Seahunter. I have found some :hello2: The anticipation of the next find is what keeps me wanting to go out.This is a great hobby with a place for us all. So have a good day of digging/wading and I will be checking to see who found what after I get home from work.

Digging41

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
You're a brave man hunting a pulse machine... I tried that just 1 time and never again ;D... You don't have to spend the money on a Excal to find good stuff in a lake... the Tereso Tiger Shark is a very good machine for freshwater and is very good on small thin gold...

digging41 said:
After only having the Sea hunter for a short while I have come to the conclusion that it is pretty much a beep and dig machine.I do not discriminate any signals and you can definitely hear the double beep of hair pins which seem to fall off so frequently in the lakes I go to.Having said that, the other day I was out at the lake and got a double beep and it turned out to be a split silver ring. If I had any intentions of not digging the double beep I think they are all gone.The Seahunter is sometimes frustratingly deep especially when I am in a rocky area trying to retrieve a target. I would like to have the money to try out an excal because it must make hunting a little easier in trashy areas.
Since I am am in an area where there is very little hunting pressure, I can hunt at my leasure just enjoying the outdoors and the sounds of silver, gold and coins going in the scoop. While I dont get out as often as I would like and have not found a lot of gold with the Seahunter. I have found some :hello2: The anticipation of the next find is what keeps me wanting to go out.This is a great hobby with a place for us all. So have a good day of digging/wading and I will be checking to see who found what after I get home from work.

Digging41

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On my above post about the Garrett PI, it was a Mark II, not a 500. I have not used a current model of Garrett, so I really cant say how they are, but both White's Surfmaster PI and PI Pro, went much deeper than the Garrett Mark II. Plus like I said earlier, the Garrett could mainly find iron or un-alloyed metal and could not find some alloy stuff, even if it was scraped across the coil. An Aqua Pulse also just as bad as the Garrett. Maybe worse. The owners of the Aqua Pulse thought the Garrett was better than the Aqua Pulse. But it was still bad. I do have an Excal, and I do have both the 8" stock coil and a 15" by 12" butterfly DD coil, and I do know that the 10" coil on either of my PIs will go deeper on a target than the Excal, but, you can tell what most of the targets are before you dig, mainly iron objects, which I wont dig. Unfortunatly it will sound off on aluminum, as will the PI. If I am on a shipwreck, I will use the PIs, if looking for gold jewelry on a beach or in the water, the Excal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions