Connecticut
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field White's IDX-PRO Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
PI JOE said:
Sandman said:
Hunting with a PI isn't easy but as Treasure Hunter said, it does leave some gold rings in the ground, expecially the white gold ones which hold the rocks more times than not. Rings also with a broken band will give a double bip. Also second guessing the target by taking a couple scoops off the surface wastes time which you can better use to sweep for the solid hit especially if you fill your holes as you should. An Excal with a larger coil than standard is as deep as most Pulse units and you won't scoop tiny iron. :coffee2:

I've done the PI thing and finally gave it up when I saw the light and the muscles were weaker.

Anyone who hunts with us who doesn't fill their holes won't hunt with us again..... believe it! Like I said before, A good hunter has to be in the same page with has detector to understand whats being said......with that said, I don't have to second guess, I am talking about a very very deep whisper/faint target...do you know what it is......I don't! Anyone here or any other forums that say they know, I'll be the first one to call them a liar...Believe it! I love the Excal, The best VLF on the beaches, But when its time to go in the water, PI's rule. One more thing, You go a head and keep Believing the Excal will go deeper with a larger coil then my PI or the DF......we CT. boys know better and so does Gary Drayton from FL., Is finds speaks for itself.....what you think he was using before the DF, You got it...........Excal.
Your the first person that Ive ever heard say they dig no iron with a PI. You should open a school.

I don't know if you are being a smart*** or just being sarcastic, But I will say this, Go back and read my posts along with Craig's post where he mentions me where he said "As Joe has said we may investigate a target that gives a iffy signal but for the most part we are listening for a short narrow signature" Not once did I said I don't dig iron. :tongue3:

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
OH MY...i didnt mean to start a war..we are all friends here...bottom line is im in salt water...in new england...and waist deep ...looking to upgrade from an excal 1.6 yrs old...and just want to go deeper without hardwiring a sef or wot....thanks for the pros and cons...im not a big fan of whites or garret...1200 or less thanks ...

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
captain ack1 said:
OH MY...i didnt mean to start a war..we are all friends here...bottom line is im in salt water...in new england...and waist deep ...looking to upgrade from an excal 1.6 yrs old...and just want to go deeper without hardwiring a sef or wot....thanks for the pros and cons...im not a big fan of whites or garret...1200 or less thanks ...

That pretty well narrows it down to a Sand Shark or a Headhunter PI. It lets out the other top of the line, an Aquasearch at $2,500.
Good luck on your choice.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
It lets out the other top of the line

Keep in mind "top of the line" doesn't mean best - it means the highest in cost. :D

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI JOE said:
lookindown said:
PI JOE said:
Sandman said:
Hunting with a PI isn't easy but as Treasure Hunter said, it does leave some gold rings in the ground, expecially the white gold ones which hold the rocks more times than not. Rings also with a broken band will give a double bip. Also second guessing the target by taking a couple scoops off the surface wastes time which you can better use to sweep for the solid hit especially if you fill your holes as you should. An Excal with a larger coil than standard is as deep as most Pulse units and you won't scoop tiny iron. :coffee2:

I've done the PI thing and finally gave it up when I saw the light and the muscles were weaker.

Anyone who hunts with us who doesn't fill their holes won't hunt with us again..... believe it! Like I said before, A good hunter has to be in the same page with has detector to understand whats being said......with that said, I don't have to second guess, I am talking about a very very deep whisper/faint target...do you know what it is......I don't! Anyone here or any other forums that say they know, I'll be the first one to call them a liar...Believe it! I love the Excal, The best VLF on the beaches, But when its time to go in the water, PI's rule. One more thing, You go a head and keep Believing the Excal will go deeper with a larger coil then my PI or the DF......we CT. boys know better and so does Gary Drayton from FL., Is finds speaks for itself.....what you think he was using before the DF, You got it...........Excal.
Your the first person that Ive ever heard say they dig no iron with a PI. You should open a school.

I don't know if you are being a smart*** or just being sarcastic, But I will say this, Go back and read my posts along with Craig's post where he mentions me where he said "As Joe has said we may investigate a target that gives a iffy signal but for the most part we are listening for a short narrow signature" Not once did I said I don't dig iron. :tongue3:
I was being both.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
DewGuru said:
Can Slaw said:
It lets out the other top of the line

Keep in mind "top of the line" doesn't mean best - it means the highest in cost. :D

Have you ever used an Aquasearch? If you had you wouldn't even make that kind of statement.

PI JOE

Feb 17, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field White's IDX-PRO Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lookindown said:
PI JOE said:
lookindown said:
PI JOE said:
Sandman said:

I was being both.

I will remember that! :-*

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone know how to close this "which ones better/deeper" Pandora's box? ::) :laughing7:

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
captain ack1 said:

If you don't like the Seahunter or the DF two deep PI's then go with a Headhunter PI from Dectector Pro... I find alot of gold with my DF up here in New England (connecticut) this means more for me :icon_thumleft:

As to a war? We are not at war we are giving the facts and not some rumor someone started and others picked up on it...

Do yourself a favor and before you purchase a pulse machine pick up a copy of Pulse Power its a good read... some vlf guys can't make the transition to a dig everything machine and they want to rap it around a tree... I started with a pulse machine and there is a learning curve with it, it takes time to discriminate by ear and its not 100% :icon_scratch:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
seeker41 said:
anyone know how to close this "which ones better/deeper" Pandora's box? ::) :laughing7:

Why?? The post does not have to be read if it is not a subject people are interested in. Personally, I am enjoying the comments about PI's and reading the comments from people that don't have a clue.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can Slaw said:
seeker41 said:

Why?? The post does not have to be read if it is not a subject people are interested in. Personally, I am enjoying the comments about PI's and reading the comments from people that don't have a clue.

I do have a clue that PI hunters have a bucket full of iron in their garage though...

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK ,This is for you guys that think I nuts .I hunt with the Garrett Sea Hunt only now.I know that the double beep is bobby pin or piece of wire.I know that real loud tone is a bottle cap ,that little blip is a Quarter 90% of the time.I know that Little blip that you can't find and it is cloudy means it is time to get out of the water ,Lighting is near by.I like to lissen to that slite change in the tone in Stander Trash Elimination,Elimination set at 1/2 to 2.I have found rings at 18 to 20" in this setting. I hunt nice and slow and make shore that I overlap my coil swing. You got to take your time, I watch a lot of everyones Videos and everyone uses the ( what I call ) BIG " V " swing,and missing all that GOLD.HH everyone.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biggmike , I recycle 2 to 3000 lbs. of steel Alum.and Copper twice a week, so a little iron doesn't hurt.!

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno what all the hoopla over iron is ... Go ahead and step over those double blips. I'm happy to dig them, as I know that roughly 10% of them are gold, and i'm happy to dig em right up.

Fact of the matter is that fewer and fewer items are even being made of iron any longer and are going to alternative alloys. Hairpins are an excellent example. If you purchased a machine based on that single feature, you did yourself an injustice.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DewGuru said:
Dunno what all the hoopla over iron is ... Go ahead and step over those double blips. I'm happy to dig them, as I know that roughly 10% of them are gold, and i'm happy to dig em right up.

Fact of the matter is that fewer and fewer items are even being made of iron any longer and are going to alternative alloys. Hairpins are an excellent example. If you purchased a machine based on that single feature, you did yourself an injustice.

Hairpins are not the problem, it is all those tiny pieces of iron about the size of a pencil eraser that is the problem. I have dug many of the nulls my Minelabs gave me when I first started just to see what they were, they were tiny pieces of iron,tiny pieces of wire from crab traps, and pieces of nails....

I prefer to not dig iron, nothing against those who do, but life is too short for me to even dig half a hole before I decide it is iron and move on....Of the hundreds of nulls I have dug when I first started out with my Minelabs they were all iron, a couple times the nulls followed by a good tone were gold.....

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
PI JOE and myself have hunted with our pulse machines for years... Everyone has their favorite machine and that is fine... some do not want to dig iron again fine... I won't waste my time digging a double scratchy tone because everytime I dug it in the past it was junk or a rusty earring... we all have dug iron but up here in CT where I hunt we don't have alot of iron.. the iron we do have has a long drawn out signature... this past spring I hunted a beach with my GT and found 8 silver coins and 1 gold ring hunting the wet sand and a little water but what I didn't hear was more than a couple nulls suggesting it was a very clean beach... my next 5 hunts I pulled 14 gold rings with my Dual Field alot of the same ground I hit with my GT... I have the best of both worlds with my GT and my DF.. if a area is iron infested I use the GT if I think its pretty clean I use the DF... here in CT depth matters especially for me as I am not a fresh drop hunter... I hunt spots that people do not have access for swimming... I hunt old beaches that get little use these days... most of my hunting is done when the snow flies when the sand moves out... I'll never post the numbers some southern hunters can and do I find the gold and that is all that matters to me... I hunt with some very good hunters and we all use pulse machines...

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok i will chime in..............anytime you do not dig something based on its tone or id or lack of tone or desirable id, you are taking the risk of missing something good! using any detector on planet earth. when you dont dig you are playing the odds, its your choice as to how much of a gambler you are.

i do own an excal and i also plan on getting a pi detector in the near future for its depth in salt , i dont care if i will be digging alot i expect that.

as for the original question....... a pi detector, from everything i have ever read is significantly deeper than vlf machines.
match a cz20 with a excal and you are equal on depth depending on each machines calibration.
match a good pi with either of these and the pi wins by a significant amount as far as depth is concerned.

anyone want to bring up the question of ..........."ability to detect micro-gold and very tiny gold items" which detector is better at that?

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
The ability for a detector to find small gold has alot to do with the pulse delay... Eric Fosters machines have a adjustable pulse delay getting down to 10uS (microseconds) the DF and Headhunter PI are in the 15 to 17 micro-second range, the Sand Shark is around 22uS meaning the detectors closer to the EF machine will pick up smaller gold deeper... some beaches have trouble though with a pulse delay of 10uS

Personally I have run a pulse for 8 years and found quite a bit of gold... I don't think I have missed much if any unless it was deeper than my detector can see... in the beginning I dug everything and got frustrated digging tiny staples down close to a foot but I became very good with my machine and know it very well so I can and do discriminate by ear as do my hunting friends... with the DF even though its a 1 tone machine there is subtle differences to that tone... iron for the most part is a long drawn out tone, gold... its hard to explain but the best way is its a clean round tone (smooth) I have been running a Whites for 8 years... I know it very well... :)

seeker41 said:
ok i will chime in..............anytime you do not dig something based on its tone or id or lack of tone or desirable id, you are taking the risk of missing something good! using any detector on planet earth. when you dont dig you are playing the odds, its your choice as to how much of a gambler you are.

i do own an excal and i also plan on getting a pi detector in the near future for its depth in salt , i dont care if i will be digging alot i expect that.

as for the original question....... a pi detector, from everything i have ever read is significantly deeper than vlf machines.
match a cz20 with a excal and you are equal on depth depending on each machines calibration.
match a good pi with either of these and the pi wins by a significant amount as far as depth is concerned.

anyone want to bring up the question of ..........."ability to detect micro-gold and very tiny gold items" which detector is better at that?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions