Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Craig is right on the video that's why I never posted it. Think I had the Df less then a month.......And I figured just by using settings that I had got from CJC's book and Craig it was all I could squeeze out of it....But now, just like my learned skill with the Excalibur, there is so much more then just set it and forget it....I do think the excal would give the DF a run for the money on the wet sand on most beach's..with Doc's Amp...in the hands of the right hunter....But in the salt water the excal would not have a chance. That is PI territory...

On my trip up to visit Craig and Joe I do want to show them what is going on with the Amped Excalibur, using the PP mode..And by comparing settings with both, I can learn more about the DF and what it secrets are..........One being the repetitive fallouts of the threshold over a target...never heard anyone speak of them..until Craig, and the amazing thing is, they are not really that hard to hear, it's like a inverted signal that repeating itself on each pass.

Many may disagree but the Excalibur in the PP mode shows PI charteristics...Just like a PI you can hear the depth, the shape, and size of the target. There is a Oldtimer, one of Eric Fosters distant friends, Vlad who posted this years ago on a PI forum..kinda stuck with me because it's true of the excal and Doc's Amp

Quote VLAD
July 21, 2007
There is an old maxim in Stereo that to double your audio volume you are increasing power output by 8X. The detector still sees the small deep target-you just don't hear it.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
OldeBeechnut said:
But in the salt water the excal would not have a chance. That is PI territory...

I love to water hunt but digging down more than a foot in neck deep water is not my idea of having fun. I prefer to hit the fresh drops and they are usually not all that deep in the sand under the water. I have not found when running pin point with my Excalibur that there was anything all that deep in waste deep or deeper water. It's almost as if the rings or targets never really seem to sink deep in the sand like they do closer to shore where wave action seems to bury things under the sand. Of course it could be too that the Excalibur loses some sensitivity while in salt water. I'm no engineer so I am only guessing.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
OldeBeechnut said:
But in the salt water the excal would not have a chance. That is PI territory...

Why do you think that is? Do you think the excal looses depth in salt water? Does the DF handle the salt water well? I felt that my excal2 lost performance/depth in salt water.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Steve... most of my gold is either in the wet sand or knee deep water.. As Joe knows I do alot of research to find the old spots... also these spots have been hit and are still hit today by VLF users but their detectors just don't get the depth.. its really that simple...

the Excalibur is one of the best "all around beach machines" but its not the deepest... a good pulse machine will out hunt a Excalibur in the hands of a good hunter... some hunters are after fresh stuff... I am not but I will not throw back new stuff ;D

After doing some research I hit a beach and did ok the first day... it was all thick mud no sand to speak of.. but I like hunting mud and rocky beaches anyway...

all the gold from this beach that me and my friends found was in wet sand/mud and ankle to knee deep water... I pulled 15 gold my other two PI friends pulled another 8 and 5 gold... before the small depression in the water filled in with silt... this old link was from that hunt..

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,385872.0.html

steve from ohio said:
OldeBeechnut said:

I love to water hunt but digging down more than a foot in neck deep water is not my idea of having fun. I prefer to hit the fresh drops and they are usually not all that deep in the sand under the water. I have not found when running pin point with my Excalibur that there was anything all that deep in waste deep or deeper water. It's almost as if the rings or targets never really seem to sink deep in the sand like they do closer to shore where wave action seems to bury things under the sand. Of course it could be too that the Excalibur loses some sensitivity while in salt water. I'm no engineer so I am only guessing.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
The Excalibur is a vlf and all vlfs have issues with minerals and black sand more so than a pulse does... this is a very good reason to have more than one type of beach machine... this is why I have my GT for the iron infested beaches and my pulse for the beaches I can hunt that I don't have to worry much about iron... now if I was in New Jersey I probably wouldn't be using my DF all that much :wink:

Detector Wars said:
OldeBeechnut said:

Why do you think that is? Do you think the excal looses depth in salt water? Does the DF handle the salt water well? I felt that my excal2 lost performance/depth in salt water.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I agree that the Excalibur loses depth in salt water. Not really sure why. I've used an Infinium in the salt water and it just punches through as if it was nothing. I really do like PI machines but I sure hate digging trash. I may get a White's TDI as I hear it has a sort of discrimination.

I hunt mainly the beaches around Sarasota so mineralization is not a problem. But I do sometimes hunt other areas that it does become a problem.

I guess the answer may be a multi process detector. A combination PI/VLF machine that uses both at the same time. With today's computer processors, I would think it would be very possible to have such a machine. I wonder if it has ever been tried?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve from ohio said:
I agree that the Excalibur loses depth in salt water. Not really sure why. I've used an Infinium in the salt water and it just punches through as if it was nothing. I really do like PI machines but I sure hate digging trash. I may get a White's TDI as I hear it has a sort of discrimination.

I hunt mainly the beaches around Sarasota so mineralization is not a problem. But I do sometimes hunt other areas that it does become a problem.

I guess the answer may be a multi process detector. A combination PI/VLF machine that uses both at the same time. With today's computer processors, I would think it would be very possible to have such a machine. I wonder if it has ever been tried?

Personally I haven't noticed any loss of depth in the salt water, I hunt a lot in the knee to chest deep zone, pulled some really deep targets up there too........

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
ok craig an all...the story continues...i called kellyco to get a price on a whites DF....a female answered and thru the chat she says the excal is a deeper machine...so i asked if there was a policy where i could test drive it [like a car ] so i could check it out....she said at 30% of the cost i could check it out for 14 days and if i didnt like it send it back in time and get whacked for a restock fee??? the special price is $799...do the math...any thoughts are appreciated...HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
captain ack1 said:
ok craig an all...the story continues...i called kellyco to get a price on a whites DF....a female answered and thru the chat she says the excal is a deeper machine...so i asked if there was a policy where i could test drive it [like a car ] so i could check it out....she said at 30% of the cost i could check it out for 14 days and if i didnt like it send it back in time and get whacked for a restock fee??? the special price is $799...do the math...any thoughts are appreciated...HH

It is called a restocking fee, you can return any detector you buy from Kellyco within 14 days, but you have to pay the 30% restocking fee, any detector you return can no longer be sold as new by KellyCo......

I would not want to buy a detector "as new" that some one else has used for 2 weeks......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to try out a detector for free, find a buddy who will let you borrow thiers.

Secondly, if you want service after the sale you need a local dealer not a mail order company.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
I would never pay a restocking fee... she can say whatever she wants about depth... they also charge alot of money for detector like the Viper that couldn't see a volkswagen under a wet rug.. ::)

captain ack1 said:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craig-PI said:
I would never pay a restocking fee... she can say whatever she wants about depth... they also charge alot of money for detector like the Viper that couldn't see a volkswagen under a wet rug.. ::)

You may not want to pay a restocking fee, but show me a store that would let you try a new detector for 14 days and not charge you for it. Their restocking fee is just a way that allows you to return a detector that you change your mind about after buying it.........

Excal would rent for more than $50 a day if you were to rent it...... $50 x 14 days = $700

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
no need for 14 days...

But you only need to try it out for a day, you should find a store which will let you rent it or both detectors for a day.

Unlikely that you will be able to, so I guess you will have to rely on others' info. You will eventually get a PI, because that's the only way you'll know.

One thing that needs to be said regarding this debate;

If you're buying a water unit, you will want to use it in the water often, otherwise why buy a water unit? If you're using it in the water, you don't have to deal with as much junk. Sure, you will also want to use it out of the water, and in areas with lots of junk, vlf's are good for that (you mentioned you are ready to upgrade, so I'm assuming you already have an excal).

If you're going to spend most of your time out of water and wade occasionally, ask yourself if it's really worth getting a water unit at all, let alone another one. If you're a true water detectorist, you won't need to worry about discrimination, only depth.

It also amazes me how many people consider weight as an issue. Those problems can always be and are, easy to solve.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
I deal with local dealers and they have no issues with me taking out a floor model so it can be done... maybe the original poster can find a member here who would be wiling to meet him and let him try it out...

Treasure_Hunter said:
Craig-PI said:

You may not want to pay a restocking fee, but show me a store that would let you try a new detector for 14 days and not charge you for it. Their restocking fee is just a way that allows you to return a detector that you change your mind about after buying it.........

Excal would rent for more than $50 a day if you were to rent it...... $50 x 14 days = $700

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
captain ack1 said:
OH MY...i didnt mean to start a war..we are all friends here...bottom line is im in salt water...in new england...and waist deep ...looking to upgrade from an excal 1.6 yrs old...and just want to go deeper without hardwiring a sef or wot....thanks for the pros and cons...im not a big fan of whites or garret...1200 or less thanks ...

You have not bought yourself a Tesoro Sand Shark yet? Did you see all the machines and opinions posted above? What the heck are you waiting for? $600 out of the box with a 10.5" coil - that doesn't float!

Laughing out loud in New York! - T

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Craig-PI said:
I deal with local dealers and they have no issues with me taking out a floor model so it can be done... maybe the original poster can find a member here who would be wiling to meet him and let him try it out...

Treasure_Hunter said:
Craig-PI said:

Craig a local dealer may let you try a floor model for a day, ACK's comments was getting a new detector from a store (KellyCo) that does not know him and is mailed out to him.....He isn't local.....There is a restocking fee, just like there is at most parts stores when you return a part you bought.....

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Terry....

You gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside after I watched your video with a bunch of my deep old gold finds with my Dual Field ;D

I'm gonna give you 3 thumbs up :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman said:
captain ack1 said:
OH MY...i didnt mean to start a war..we are all friends here...bottom line is im in salt water...in new england...and waist deep ...looking to upgrade from an excal 1.6 yrs old...and just want to go deeper without hardwiring a sef or wot....thanks for the pros and cons...im not a big fan of whites or garret...1200 or less thanks ...

You have not bought yourself a Tesoro Sand Shark yet? Did you see all the machines and opinions posted above? What the heck are you waiting for? $600 out of the box with a 10.5" coil - that doesn't float!

Laughing out loud in New York! - T

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector Wars said:
But you only need to try it out for a day, you should find a store which will let you rent it or both detectors for a day.

Unlikely that you will be able to, so I guess you will have to rely on others' info. You will eventually get a PI, because that's the only way you'll know.

One thing that needs to be said regarding this debate;

If you're buying a water unit, you will want to use it in the water often, otherwise why buy a water unit? If you're using it in the water, you don't have to deal with as much junk. Sure, you will also want to use it out of the water, and in areas with lots of junk, vlf's are good for that (you mentioned you are ready to upgrade, so I'm assuming you already have an excal).

If you're going to spend most of your time out of water and wade occasionally, ask yourself if it's really worth getting a water unit at all, let alone another one. If you're a true water detectorist, you won't need to worry about discrimination, only depth.

It also amazes me how many people consider weight as an issue. Those problems can always be and are, easy to solve.
So your not a true water detectorist if you discriminate? HaHaHa :tongue3:...I dont discriminate, but you took a shot at a lot of people who do.

OP
OP
captain ack1

captain ack1

Sep 19, 2010
ack
Detector(s) used
technetics, fisher1280,excal11, whites dual field PI
ok craig this one is for you... after much debate im biting the bullet and getting a DF.. NOW...all you procrastinators can kiss my grits{what}...???? but i appreciate the banter and comments...you guys are of the same ilk as I...we share the same great hobby...I have no buddies to hunt with..competition i dont need...ive been hunting with a MD since 1978 land and water...and always ready to learn....im one of those guys thats up at 3am for the 5am low tide...HH to all...may gold fall into your scoop...

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Get yourself a copy of Pulsepower by Clive James Clynick...

The settings I use are gain set at 2 pm the pulse delay just clicked out of factory to 7pm and the threshold where you like it, I like it around 12:30-1pm

As with all detectors there is a learning curve... but think small try and picture the size of the target by its tone small is best over a wide sounding tone...

nails, wire, sparkler sticks and bobbiepins have a scratchy broken or double tone... they are not going to be a gold ring or chain they have been junk for me...

bottlecaps have a fuzzy tone... gold is a clean crisp round sounding tone...

If you read what Joe OBN said about the signal dropouts those at least for me have been very deep gold or old silver most of the time...

Just take your time after hunting with a VLF and you should do well... if you ever need to ask something just go for it...

Congrats on the new machine..

captain ack1 said:
ok craig this one is for you... after much debate im biting the bullet and getting a DF.. NOW...all you procrastinators can kiss my grits{what}...???? but i appreciate the banter and comments...you guys are of the same ilk as I...we share the same great hobby...I have no buddies to hunt with..competition i dont need...ive been hunting with a MD since 1978 land and water...and always ready to learn....im one of those guys thats up at 3am for the 5am low tide...HH to all...may gold fall into your scoop...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread