The Solution Rest Here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Old Silver

The point I was making is if the ladies found Beale handsome, would their exist collaborating information from Bedford county residents about this good looking stranger outside of the Beale narrative? Or does the relationship of Beale and Morriss only appear in the 1885 Beale Papers.

The only thing I can think of for such conversations would be in letters the gals would write to each other. Since all the gals were in the same little town, then why would they write to each other? Even if they did, such letters could possibly exist.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
And if Robert Morriss was a bank president then this might explain the use of the word "deposits" and the "iron box" might then become a lock box. This, or course, would then make the deposits a trust. This could also explain the description of the "vault". Just saying.....

WASN'T MORRISS; Robert MORRIS!

O

Old Silver

bigscoop there are too many connections to the truth and many papers were destroyed by Wilkenson himself the month before his trial. and did include the link to where the authors information was based on and that was the War department. Was Wilkenson a spy for the Spanish? yes did he plot to take Louisiana territory , yes. read the book about General James Wilkenson being an Artist in Treason. that is true and was there a payment from Spain of 10,000 dollars in gold that never got to Wilkenson and was lost in Virginia or Kentucky yes. So facts may have been altered so it is rated as fiction. How many of the facts have been embellished? we do not know, but there are true facts in the book based on historical knowledge? The Spanish records were lost when Santa Anna fled Santa Fe with all the money and records when the US Army Captured him just north of the present day border. Somewhere between Santa Fe and his Capture point he burred the gold and documents. it is believed that is the treasure Doc Noss stumbled on in Victorio Peak.

I don't think it was Virginia or Kentucky.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beale-codes/442791-burr-wilkinson-treasure-buried-1813-a.html

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thing I can think of for such conversations would be in letters the gals would write to each other. Since all the gals were in the same little town, then why would they write to each other? Even if they did, such letters could possibly exist.
During his say in Bedford with Morriss, Beale had to have come into contact with the other residents of the county,especially if he was the subject of gossip amongst the local girls.The point being the only source of the Morriss/Beale encounters only come from the story in the 1885 Beale pamphlet.

O

Old Silver

During his say in Bedford with Morriss, Beale had to have come into contact with the other residents of the county,especially if he was the subject of gossip amongst the local girls.The point being the only source of the Morriss/Beale encounters only come from the story in the 1885 Beale pamphlet.

Yes, you said that. I'm wondering what reason would people have of writing down such gossip. The Beale story was not a story at that time (if it's true).

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, you said that. I'm wondering what reason would people have of writing down such gossip. The Beale story was not a story at that time (if it's true).
...But a handsome unknown stranger would be the talk of the close knit families that lived in Bedford county.People in those times kept journals and diaries and passed down family lore. When the 1885 pamphlet came out, don't you think there would be talk among the families, like "granny remembers that fellow", and so on.Many of these journals and diaries have been posted on family genealogy sites and provide an interesting look into the past as it was lived.
When the adds for the Beale Papers appeared in the Lynchberg Virginian newspaper, one would expect a sidebar article about an old timer saying he knew that Beale fellow and new he was up to something.
...and who was the publisher and editor of the Lynchberg Virginian in 1885?

O

Old Silver

...But a handsome unknown stranger would be the talk of the close knit families that lived in Bedford county.People in those times kept journals and diaries and passed down family lore. When the 1885 pamphlet came out, don't you think there would be talk among the families, like "granny remembers that fellow", and so on.Many of these journals and diaries have been posted on family genealogy sites and provide an interesting look into the past as it was lived.
When the adds for the Beale Papers appeared in the Lynchberg Virginian newspaper, one would expect a sidebar article about an old timer saying he knew that Beale fellow and new he was up to something.
...and who was the publisher and editor of the Lynchberg Virginian in 1885?

Maybe, and maybe not. But we don't know that such things are not in existence. I'm finding some really interesting things that seems to be seen for the first time in many many years. I would have thought these things would have already come out, but they hadn't. I'd say keep looking.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The Lynchberg Virginian newspaper was purchased by John William Sherman, Nov 17, 1885, with money loaned from his cousin James Beverly Ward.
Adds for the Beale Papers began, April 14, 1886, ran 31 times, the last was run May 21,1886.
Sherman filed for bankruptcy, Nov 17,1887, ending his time as publisher and editor of the Lynchberg Virginian.
Are you seeing a connection or "connexion" in this timespan?

Last edited:
O

Old Silver

The Lynchberg Virginian newspaper was purchased by John William Sherman, Nov 17, 1885, with money loaned from his cousin John Beverly Ward.
Adds for the Beale Papers began, April 14, 1886, ran 31 times, the last was run May 21,1886.
Sherman filed for bankruptcy, Nov 17,1887, ending his time as publisher and editor of the Lynchberg Virginian.
Are you seeing a connection or "connexion" in this timespan?

That's not a new theory. True or not, that's all it is. A theory.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not a new theory. True or not, that's all it is. A theory.
I didn't post a theory, just a question based on the fact Sherman was publisher and editor during the initial publication of the Beale Papers, and his cousin, Ward fronted the money for that newspaper's purchase.

O

Old Silver

I didn't post a theory, just a question based on the fact Sherman was publisher and editor during the initial publication of the Beale Papers, and his cousin, Ward fronted the money for that newspaper's purchase.

But you wanted me to believe that that is 100% sure the source of the Beale story. Maybe it is. But as of now, there is no hard proof.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubting that, given his background, the theory that Sherman wrote the tale and used Ward as the agent is indeed the simplest and most obvious of all the theories. This making it just another in a string of dime novels that Sherman wrote. I've never stated otherwise. Now if ECS would have suggested that Ward was given ownership of the copyrights to deflect attention away from Sherman then I would have never argued this possibility. What I have argued is that Ward wrote the pamphlet which I'm sure he never possessed the ability to do. But even in this simplest and most obvious of theories there are some unresolved issues, not many, but there are a few.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
But you wanted me to believe that that is 100% sure the source of the Beale story. Maybe it is. But as of now, there is no hard proof.
There is NO "hard proof" on any of the theories, only speculation, and forcing that speculation's facts to fit a pet theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread