The Solution Rest Here.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The Lynchberg Virginian newspaper was purchased by John William Sherman, Nov 17, 1885, with money loaned from his cousin John Beverly Ward.
Adds for the Beale Papers began, April 14, 1886, ran 31 times, the last was run May 21,1886.
Sherman filed for bankruptcy, Nov 17,1887, ending his time as publisher and editor of the Lynchberg Virginian.
Are you seeing a connection or "connexion" in this timespan?

JOHN Beverly Ward...? ???

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The Lynchberg Virginian newspaper was purchased by John William Sherman, Nov 17, 1885, with money loaned from his cousin John Beverly Ward.
Adds for the Beale Papers began, April 14, 1886, ran 31 times, the last was run May 21,1886.
Sherman filed for bankruptcy, Nov 17,1887, ending his time as publisher and editor of the Lynchberg Virginian.
Are you seeing a connection or "connexion" in this timespan?

Eh...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
No doubting that, given his background, the theory that Sherman wrote the tale and used Ward as the agent is indeed the simplest and most obvious of all the theories. This making it just another in a string of dime novels that Sherman wrote. I've never stated otherwise. Now if ECS would have suggested that Ward was given ownership of the copyrights to deflect attention away from Sherman then I would have never argued this possibility. What I have argued is that Ward wrote the pamphlet which I'm sure he never possessed the ability to do. But even in this simplest and most obvious of theories there are some unresolved issues, not many, but there are a few.

PV has already stated that JB Ward had NO "creative-writing" ability; John W. Sherman could have been a "consultant" to the Committee of 1882, on "how-to-do" a "dime novel"; MAY have been in the Inner Circle... dunno.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
PV has already stated that JB Ward had NO "creative-writing" ability; John W. Sherman could have been a "consultant" to the Committee of 1882, on "how-to-do" a "dime novel"; MAY have been in the Inner Circle... dunno.
I only stated that Ward provided the loan for Sherman's purchase on the newspaper. :thumbsup:

O

Old Silver

Sherman could have been the author, who knows. Whoever it was, according to the Beale papers themselves, they did it to bring attention to any key that someone associated with Beale might have been holding. If in fact the author was Sherman, that doesn't prove, or disprove the story.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sherman could have been the author, who knows. Whoever it was, according to the Beale papers themselves, they did it to bring attention to any key that someone associated with Beale might have been holding. If in fact the author was Sherman, that doesn't prove, or disprove the story.

True. And of course, he was apparently fascinated by tales of treasure, as his previous dime novels would indicate. And since his uncle was Mexico Sherman one has to wonder what might have inspired John Sherman's fascination with treasure? And so, here we go.....

O

Old Silver

True. And of course, he was apparently fascinated by tales of treasure, as his previous dime novels would indicate. And since his uncle was Mexico Sherman one has to wonder what might have inspired John Sherman's fascination with treasure? And so, here we go.....

True. I know what inspired me to write about treasure. Good point.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

John Sherman...? ??? Mexico Sherman...? ??? GA (Go Ahead).

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
John Sherman...? ??? Mexico Sherman...? ??? GA (Go Ahead).
"Google":
Page 24: Beale Ciphers Analyses
Page 30: Beale Ciphers Analyses
???
John William Sherman is buried in Evergreen Cemetery in Roanoke, Va.
"Google" John William Sherman: Find-A-Grave

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Doesn't prove a French/Bonapartist/Lafitte connection,either.
Either the story stands alone, being a true account, or it is a compilation of many other stores to create an entirely new story to only sell in Lynchberg. It is amazing all the time and research that has been wasted over the years on trying to prove the 1885 Beale Papers are more than what they are.

O

Old Silver

Doesn't prove a French/Bonapartist/Lafitte connection,either.
Either the story stands alone, being a true account, or it is a compilation of many other stores to create an entirely new story to only sell in Lynchberg. It is amazing all the time and research that has been wasted over the years on trying to prove the 1885 Beale Papers are more than what they are.

Almost as amazing as the time some of you spend to try to disprove it.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Almost as amazing as the time some of you spend to try to disprove it.
Disproving what? I have always maintained that Beale was a western/treasure dime novel that sold for 50 cents in Lynchberg for entertainment purposes, with the possibility of a connection to the events at Danville, April 1865.
Those who insert a French/Bonapartist/Lafitte "connexion" into the mix are the ones who are truly trying to disprove it.

O

Old Silver

Disproving what? I have always maintained that Beale was a western/treasure dime novel that sold for 50 cents in Lynchberg for entertainment purposes, with the possibility of a connection to the events at Danville, April 1865.
Those who insert a French/Bonapartist/Lafitte "connexion" into the mix are the ones who are truly trying to disprove it.

You have a right to you're thought, and they have a right to theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions