Penny dream box? you decide, with pics.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I don't know what the exact definition of "Dream Box" is but this has got to be close. I picked up a box of pennies last Thursday and started going through it that afternoon and started to find these really great new looking pennies right off the bat, and as I got in to the box more I realised that they were all 1961, 1961D, and 1963, was getting some in almost all the rolls, sometimes 2-3 in each roll, I took a roll to the coin shop and the owner said they looked to be between AU/BU!, they are sharp! sadly my pics do not do them justice but hopefully it will give you an idea, has any one run into anything like this before? any ideas as to the how and why of it let me know your thoughts, also went back yesterday to get another box, telling myself the whole time that it was a fluke etc, well after going through about 20 or so rolls I have found 26 more of the same! the only thing I can figure is someone was hoarding these and for some reason dumped them at face, again your thoughts please and thanks for reading, HH!
101_0628.jpg

101_0639.jpg

Chuck.

Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny you post this. I got a box the other day and finished last night had about 25 61D's in AU shape. Was weird because I usually dont see this number in one box. They were all 61D's, so I assumed someone was dumping them into circulation.

OP
OP
Tattooguy67

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
AGCoinHunter said:
Funny you post this. I got a box the other day and finished last night had about 25 61D's in AU shape. Was weird because I usually dont see this number in one box. They were all 61D's, so I assumed someone was dumping them into circulation.
So is this some kind of odd coincidence or something more sinister! muhuhahaha! seriously is this as unusual as I think it is? I am in Kalamazoo MI and it says you are in the Southeast, to me that seems like a pretty big spread unless you are talking about a huge hoard of these puppies! and if I may ask what company did your box come from? and does anyone know what the supply chain looks like?, as in penny goes in here and comes out there kind of thing, let me know, and thanks.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tattooguy67 said:
AGCoinHunter said:
So is this some kind of odd coincidence or something more sinister! muhuhahaha! seriously is this as unusual as I think it is? I am in Kalamazoo MI and it says you are in the Southeast, to me that seems like a pretty big spread unless you are talking about a huge hoard of these puppies! and if I may ask what company did your box come from? and does anyone know what the supply chain looks like?, as in penny goes in here and comes out there kind of thing, let me know, and thanks.

The box was a NF String box. I live in GA so there is definately a big spread between us. Would be interesting to see how these things trickle out.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One possibilty is that someone raided several mint sets for the silver and dumped the pennies...probably the nickels too. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Tattooguy67

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
AGCoinHunter said:
Tattooguy67 said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Well ok now it is getting odder! mine came from Brink's boxes, do they all get coin from the same main supplier? as far as raiding mint sets I guess that's possible, but right now I am sitting at around 140 of these, AGCoinHunter says he found 26, not only is that a lot of sets, but don't those sell for more then the sum of their parts so to speak?

Chuck.

The box was a NF String box. I live in GA so there is definately a big spread between us. Would be interesting to see how these things trickle out.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I wouldn't call it a dream box. If they were wheats all in that good condition it would be different. But finding memorials in good shape? Nice to find, but not a dream box, even though they are copper.

I have kept a few boxes of good looking (red) memorials from my copper stash, but now don't even keep the 1959D's I get that are in UA shape. Just not worth it to me.

Those would go into my copper box, just like dirty 1963s would. Just me, but I don't see them as special, and definitely not a dream box. BUT - I don't want to rain on your parade entirely, so YES they are a nice find. Just not a dream box. :-}

(I hate saying that, as normally I'm very positive on finds, but that's my honest opinion.) :-)

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Like jrf said.
100+ wheats= dream box.
But...

it's a dream box for you!
Congrats! :icon_thumright:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2008 I was on business trip in Philly, I got two penny boxes; Each had 50+ wheaties; 98% of copper; all the coins were old than 1982 except a few 08 new pennys. Nothing between 82 to 08.

IMO, more than one wheat per roll would consider as "dream penny box".

OP
OP
Tattooguy67

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
jrf30 said:
I wouldn't call it a dream box. If they were wheats all in that good condition it would be different. But finding memorials in good shape? Nice to find, but not a dream box, even though they are copper.

I have kept a few boxes of good looking (red) memorials from my copper stash, but now don't even keep the 1959D's I get that are in UA shape. Just not worth it to me.

Those would go into my copper box, just like dirty 1963s would. Just me, but I don't see them as special, and definitely not a dream box. BUT - I don't want to rain on your parade entirely, so YES they are a nice find. Just not a dream box. :-}

(I hate saying that, as normally I'm very positive on finds, but that's my honest opinion.) :-)
Heck don't apologize for being honest there jrf30, I have never read one of your posts to be mean or nasty/rude and took no offense, oh sure I cried a bit but that has now mostly passed so it's ok, lol. And the reason I titled it the way I did was to leave myself an out! But to me in a way it is some what of a dream box really, how often do you read posts about finding 111 AU/BU coins all with only 2 years and one mint mark? and also I am sure that these coins were all together somewhere and for some time and that gets me real curious as to how the journey went for them, routes of travel, that sort of thing, and now I have been dreaming about them, seeing them shine in my sleep so there you go, dream box! thanks for the comments about this everyone, and just as an update I am about half way through the second box and already filled another tube and then some, plus tonight I found an 1963 Canadian penny in about the same shape as the Lincoln's are, so whats going to be next I wonder, I think some one out there dumped a huge hoard and it is now in the pipeline, of course I have been wrong before a time or 2 so ? HH all and thanks for reading this!

Chuck.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
dasherhunting said:
Id throw them in my copper bag and sell them on feebay aas bullion. Been doing 35 lbs a week on there.

How are you doing on prices these days? I'd guess about $70 - $80 for $50 worth? I'm waiting and hoarding right now, looking for it to rise back over $100 for $50 bags. Sold some at $130 last year, but not since then. Just hoarding away.

Do you use a Ryedale?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you have enough, I would roll a few up and try to sell them on ebay as Uncirculated. Who knows, you might sell a few.

dasherhunting

Jul 8, 2008
ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
im avging about 72.00 for 35 lbs I figure that is that many I dont have to run and dump so I can search more :headbang: have fees but still save gas and making a little. Last week a guy met me in town hes from close by and he saved shipping and I saved paypal.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
AGCoinHunter said:
Since you have enough, I would roll a few up and try to sell them on ebay as Uncirculated. Who knows, you might sell a few.

Sell em on Ebay, but don't list them as uncirculated. You pulled them from circulation, so to advertise them as otherwise would be unethical, don't ya think??

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPURS said:
AGCoinHunter said:

Sell em on Ebay, but don't list them as uncirculated. You pulled them from circulation, so to advertise them as otherwise would be unethical, don't ya think??

So sell them as AU/BU. You get my point.

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
Say what ya mean buddy :dontknow:.. There are young folks here who may think you know what you are talking about and try to sell those coins as uncirculated on ebay. Big difference to the buyer...

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GPURS said:
Say what ya mean buddy :dontknow:.. There are young folks here who may think you know what you are talking about and try to sell those coins as uncirculated on ebay. Big difference to the buyer...

I did. I said what I meant. Do what the heck he wants to with them. I dont really care. I was just offering him some advice. What someone does on ebay doesnt really concern me. If they think they know what I am talking about then thats up to them. Obviously you just want to nit-pick about something. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread