First Post

abn-rgr

Mar 6, 2010
This is my first post here. I must say, I have enjoyed myself immensly surfing this sight. I decided to try my hand at CRH yesterday. I called my local country bank to see if they had any halfs. No luck, but the manager did throw me a line. A customer had come in the week before and mentioned he had about 20 silver dollars from the late 1800's and early 1900's he was going to take to the pawn shop. The manager, who is a good friend of mine, said he would call them and see if he would sell them to me instead. I know this is a vague question, but what would be a good price for me to throw at him having no knowledge of years or conditions. I dont want to insult the guy, but I figure I could do better than a pawn shop. Thanks for all the help and Im looking forward to posting my first "find".

Upvote 0

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
Get a coin magazine and look up the retail prices. Have a list with you.
The prices in the magazine are retail prices. A lot depends on the condition
of the coins. Most common dates are in the $20 plu range. Hard to tell.
The other this is to have the guy find out what the Pawn shop offers and then
offer him a little more.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
:hello: Welcome! I think you need a little more info before you make a educated bid. I agree with the pay a little more than the pawn shop. They won't give as much as a coin shop.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Ho Silver! said:
:hello: Welcome! I think you need a little more info before you make a educated bid. I agree with the pay a little more than the pawn shop. They won't give as much as a coin shop.
I watched an auction end on Ebay last nite, 20 common date Morgans sold for an average of $16.45 ea, that included shipping. I see offers of $12 ea. on Craigslist all the time. Personally, I would give $14 ea, more for better dates. Seems like silver dollars always sell for a premium over melt.

OP
OP
A

abn-rgr

Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of offering $10 a piece, so I wasnt too far off. Ill let you all know the outcome.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The current melt value according to coinflation.com is $13.26. So I'm afraid that $10 is going to be an insult unless they really have no idea what they have. Most people around here are trying to get $18-$20 for common dates which I think is way too high. If you can get them for $15-$16 then you are really doing well for yourself in my opinion. I'd start at $15 and work my way up. But unless they are in really good shape I wouldn't pay more than $18 for them because you are paying a huge premium over melt at that price.

The best way to get a good price is to tell him to take them to the pawn shop first and see what they will pay. Then tell him that you will give him more for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread