Penny dream box? you decide, with pics.

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I don't know what the exact definition of "Dream Box" is but this has got to be close. I picked up a box of pennies last Thursday and started going through it that afternoon and started to find these really great new looking pennies right off the bat, and as I got in to the box more I realised that they were all 1961, 1961D, and 1963, was getting some in almost all the rolls, sometimes 2-3 in each roll, I took a roll to the coin shop and the owner said they looked to be between AU/BU!, they are sharp! sadly my pics do not do them justice but hopefully it will give you an idea, has any one run into anything like this before? any ideas as to the how and why of it let me know your thoughts, also went back yesterday to get another box, telling myself the whole time that it was a fluke etc, well after going through about 20 or so rolls I have found 26 more of the same! the only thing I can figure is someone was hoarding these and for some reason dumped them at face, again your thoughts please and thanks for reading, HH!
101_0628.jpg

101_0639.jpg

Chuck.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(DELETED) due to forum rules violation.

Tom
Wreckdiver1715
Global Moderator

OP
OP
Tattooguy67

Tattooguy67

Sep 26, 2009
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT & Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
AGCoinHunter said:
Since you have enough, I would roll a few up and try to sell them on ebay as Uncirculated. Who knows, you might sell a few.
Hi was this directed at me AG? if so what do you think I could get per roll? I doubt I would ever sell them any way, the mystery behind them is what I like, I did end up giving out 4 of them though, gave one to each of the tellers who lug those heavy boxes out of the vault for me! and as an update to the original post, finished the second box and ended up with 215 plus the one Canadian 1963 that was in identical shape so it must have come from the same place right? or well maybe not but it's fun to speculate about to me. And didn't you say you had found 26 of the same year, the 1961D right? have you found any more since then? let me know will ya, I love a good mystery! HH

Chuck.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just deleted the text of some of the posting in this thread for Forum Rules Violations. I would suggest that y'all go back and review our forum rules at TreasureNet. Personal attacks and name calling are not tolerated here.

Thanks for your support!

Tom
Wreckdiver1715
Global Moderator

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tattooguy67 said:
AGCoinHunter said:
Since you have enough, I would roll a few up and try to sell them on ebay as Uncirculated. Who knows, you might sell a few.
Hi was this directed at me AG? if so what do you think I could get per roll? I doubt I would ever sell them any way, the mystery behind them is what I like, I did end up giving out 4 of them though, gave one to each of the tellers who lug those heavy boxes out of the vault for me! and as an update to the original post, finished the second box and ended up with 215 plus the one Canadian 1963 that was in identical shape so it must have come from the same place right? or well maybe not but it's fun to speculate about to me. And didn't you say you had found 26 of the same year, the 1961D right? have you found any more since then? let me know will ya, I love a good mystery! HH

Chuck.

Chuck, I was just offering my 2 cents worth before your thread go sidelined. If you sold them I assume you could get 5-10x face for each one. I am hanging on the ones I found because you dont find them in this shape very often. Yes, I found approximately 25 or so of them in one box, but havent seen one since. The first few really supprised me after that I figured maybe I could get enough for a full roll. Being we have over 1000 miles seperating us it would be interesting to find out where these came from and how they got distributed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread