Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Coil
deteknixXpointer Probe
Minelab Ex-Terra 70
White's Classic II
2014-2015 Colorado Gold Camp Prospector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plastic and paper grocery bags banned in Austin beginning in March 2013; $2 million to go for reusable bags for the poor, public awareness | Texas Watchdog
This is jsut now taking effect and being shoved down our throuts. Stores are going to CHARGE $1.00 per recycled bag OR paper bag at the grocery stores, or you can bring your own when you go shopping!
Just another BS scheme to rip off the consumer!!!

Carbondale, Colorado is on the road to and from Aspen. Aspen gets a lot of non-colorado visitors. Whom are not aware of Carbondale's paperless bag policy in one large store. If you can afford to feed the family in Aspen, good for you. The rest of the world enjoy a picnic and bag lunch weather permitting. The store in question is losing a lot of their plastic totes as those who don't carry bags of their own, and don't care for the paper bag surcharge just steal the plastic totes. :)
BB

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work in a grocery store in Austin,and some of our customers have told us that their going to go to Round Rock,TX or some place other than Travis county(where the band is in ),I doubt that most people will do this since gas is almost $4 a gallon,why drive to another county that still has plastic 1 time use bags,just so you can have a plastic bag.The bad thing is that they still will allow 1 time use plastic garbage bags.But if you know anything about Austin,this to will change.:icon_scratch:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cowboy: "Give me three packets of condoms, please."

Cashier: "Do you need a paper bag with that, sir?"

Cowboy: "Nah. She ain't that ugly.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well done Onfire!!!! :laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Dano Sverige

They can't "rip off the consumer" if the consumers stop being lazy @@@£££€€€s and take their own bags!!

Are you saying a lot of Brits take their wife's???

Ha ha ha now that's funny. However, IF he was refering to the British women he would have said, 'toothless wife'.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plastic bags (most plastics) made from oil. So don't whine about high oil prices if you want your disposable plastic bags.

Nothing wrong with using plastic bags or just about anything else as long as its recycled instead of disposed of.

If any of you have a deck made of TREX or done other composite lumber that is old grocery bags and sawdust. Trex is actually the largest recycler of grocery store bags in the country.

Besides new energy efficient technologies my other area of investment expertise was recycling. Lots of money to be made recycling just about anything.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Plastic bags (most plastics) made from oil. So don't whine about high oil prices if you want your disposable plastic bags.

Nothing wrong with using plastic bags or just about anything else as long as its recycled instead of disposed of.

If any of you have a deck made of TREX or done other composite lumber that is old grocery bags and sawdust. Trex is actually the largest recycler of grocery store bags in the country.

Besides new energy efficient technologies my other area of investment expertise was recycling. Lots of money to be made recycling just about anything.

Stocky: Nobody answered my question, perhaps you will. Does picking up my puppy's poop with grocery bags count as recycling?

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Dano Sverige

They can't "rip off the consumer" if the consumers stop being lazy @@@£££€€€s and take their own bags!!

Ha ha ha now that's funny. However, IF he was refering to the British women he would have said, 'toothless wife'.

Keep it up. Think i'm heading for the Guinness book of records for recieving the most insults and Nation bashing attacks in one week without a sign of authorative action from the powers that be!

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep it up. Think i'm heading for the Guinness book of records for recieving the most insults and Nation bashing attacks in one week without a sign of authorative action from the powers that be!

Dano,

You misunderstand. Americans show their love by insulting each other. You are the most loved member of TNET!

Crispin

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't joke, Dano Mate, that is exactly what my wife does. Gives me a list and then kicks me out the door. She never puts Guinness on the list; oddly enough, it always sneaks its way into the cart.

Crispin

Seems like a deal to me.............

You do the shopping, you get what you want.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin said:
Stocky: Nobody answered my question, perhaps you will. Does picking up my puppy's poop with grocery bags count as recycling?

I would say "reuse" as opposed to "recycle".

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Pretty sure the reusable bags are made from oil, too, in China. Just sayin'

Portland installed a bag ban last year and it really sucks when your debit card won't scan without being wrapped in one.

I hate grocery shopping, but my husband is fun to shop with, he likes it, so we go together - or he'll go alone to get the non-food items, because I make farm runs once a week for raw dairy, eggs, drug-free meat and produce.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dano you claim to have a sense of Humor,
& you don't hit report to Moderator.

So I for one figure you can take it as well as you hand it out,
So I can only surmise your joking here 8-)

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that they used old gallon milk jugs to make the plastic bags?

I know this would be kind of cruel and most likely wrong, but I would almost tempt to spend a whole weekend going to grocey stores load up about 2 carts piled up nice and high, let the cashier ring it all up, and while watching, see if they have the plastic bag surcharge of a $1.00 per bag, I would kindly say, "Oh never mind, I am not paying a $1.00 per plastic bag, and have fun putting away the items!" and then walk off. But that wouldn't be right because the employees would have to put it all back and the coporates honchos wouldn't even be effected by it.

Now on the other hand, If it was to be charged a consumer of the plastic bags, $0.05 would not be a bad price if one is to have to pay. But a $1.00 is just plain ridiculous!

I am glad I live really close to another county, (like I am almost right on the line), and you can bet, I will be going shopping there!!!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
This may shock some of you here worried about germs in the reusable bags...

But did you know that you can throw the cloth shopping bag in the washing machine?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This may shock some of you here worried about germs in the reusable bags...

But did you know that you can throw the cloth shopping bag in the washing machine?

This may be, but how does using all that soap, water, and electricity come out as better for the environment than using and recycling plastic bags???? I will continue to use plastic....

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
This may be, but how does using all that soap, water, and electricity come out as better for the environment than using and recycling plastic bags????

Assuming you wash your laundry ANYWAY- (clean underwear builds strong friendships) you simply toss in a shopping bag or two, since (I'm assuming here) you are doing a load of laundry in the first place...

And then the bad... these damn bags blow off the beach and into the ocean. I sail there. These stupid bags clog up boat intakes, propellers, sea strainers...

And then this, absolutely tragic-

Sea turtles see them as their favorite food- jellyfish. The plastic bag successfully kills the turtle.

When I see stupid people releasing hundreds of mylar balloons into the air- all that trash comes down somewhere, and is horrible for the environment. Have your balloons, just don't put helium in them. These kill sea-life too you jerks...

Ok- switching off now-
rant.gif

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Assuming you wash your laundry ANYWAY- (clean underwear builds strong friendships) you simply toss in a shopping bag or two, since (I'm assuming here) you are doing a load of laundry in the first place...

And then the bad... these damn bags blow off the beach and into the ocean. I sail there. These stupid bags clog up boat intakes, propellers, sea strainers...

And then this, absolutely tragic-

Sea turtles see them as their favorite food- jellyfish. The plastic bag successfully kills the turtle.

When I see stupid people releasing hundreds of mylar balloons into the air- all that trash comes down somewhere, and is horrible for the environment. Have your balloons, just don't put helium in them. These kill sea-life too you jerks...

Ok- switching off now-
View attachment 750693
LOL! ok time to settle down...just to clarify, I stated "This may be, but how does using all that soap, water, and electricity come out as better for the environment than using and recycling plastic bags
huh.gif
? I will continue to use plastic...."
I would never throw plastic bags into the ocean, or any other place but the trash or recycling. And to top it off we use them as liners for the trash cans in all the bathrooms.....If I were to use cloth bags I would be buying plastic "trash" bags anyways.....so how again would that help the environment? Again this is not intended as a argument but rather a discussion...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread