onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You folks better do a much better job shopping if you are buying stuff that's leaking all over the place. Hopefully your returning or throwing away that food as there is a high likelihood of contamination or spoilage.

Stocky you been talking to the school kids (under the Kings other half on her botched food plan) I know they're throwing most of it away.

OP
OP
TheHarleyMan2

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say with total accuracy a plastic bag left in the sun breaks down very quickly. It does not take the hundreds of years some would have you believe.

On that note, generally from the grocery store employee putting a box like maccoroni and cheese in the bag tends to pretty much tears it anyway, so it is at its first stage of disentigration!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On that note, generally from the grocery store employee putting a box like maccoroni and cheese in the bag tends to pretty much tears it anyway, so it is at its first stage of disentigration!!

yes this is correct.
most grocery bags these days should not even be called plastic.
I'd swear they are rotting from the time they leave the factory.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some plastic grocery bags decomposing in my field, it only takes a couple years before they are in tiny pieces. Just so you know I didn't intend to "pollute" they blew into my field.

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It makes me so happy they are getting rid of that CRAP. Seriously folks, nice, well built reuasable bags are $1, let's start using them more:).
Next, please get rid of guns and soda pop, followed by the gov't sentancing all child rapists and murderers to death. Thank you:)!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It makes me so happy they are getting rid of that CRAP. Seriously folks, nice, well built reuasable bags are $1, let's start using them more:).
Next, please get rid of guns and soda pop, followed by the gov't sentancing all child rapists and murderers to death. Thank you:)!
Is this a joke? or a serious post? I can go along with your last part about death sentences, but please do not try to impose your thoughts into my life. If you want to use those reusable bags, fine go for it this is america. It's your choice, just like it's my choice not to....And as I am reading your post I am guzzling a HUGE soda as I just got home from work again and you have given me the urge to take out a few of my guns and clean them. You see that is my right as an American as well. It's comments like yours that make me even more set in my ways....

P.S. if this is a joke it's really not funny, as you are joking about the loss of American freedoms. It is no laughing matter. Really bad taste...........

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was a very serious post. Plastic bags and paper bags are a waste. They help nothing and are a waste of our already depleted natural resources.
I like having bags made from old junk stuff. It makes me feel like I'm cleaning up the waste left behind.
I also think that on most purchases(not huge ones)that we should be given the option of getting a receipt or not. Why do I need a receipt for just going in the gas station and buying a water? It's a waste. Tax write off stuff, sure I can understand that.
When the New York Governor put the ban on large soda I was like hellz yeah!!!
Sorry diesel but I'll never support guns. Seeing how I've been shot before, guns aren't really my thing. Am I proffesionally trained in firearms? Yes. Must I take annual courses for my job, yup.
Am I all for equipping peeps with less than lethal force. Oh hellz yeah!!! O.C Spray, taser, bean bag rounds, I'm all for the toys that make you feel like you wanna die.
Ever been sprayed by o.c in the face? Ever had a rubber bullet shot at you? It feels like the real thing to me. This is all required training btw, I'm not some criminal lol.
I'm getting so off topic lol. Diesel we must meet in person!! Our views are so seperate!! Your type of mindset intrigues me as it is something that I don't have myself. P.M me sometime and lets continue this banter, I won't ever curse or think less of ya.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a very serious post. Plastic bags and paper bags are a waste. They help nothing and are a waste of our already depleted natural resources.
I like having bags made from old junk stuff. It makes me feel like I'm cleaning up the waste left behind.
I also think that on most purchases(not huge ones)that we should be given the option of getting a receipt or not. Why do I need a receipt for just going in the gas station and buying a water? It's a waste. Tax write off stuff, sure I can understand that.

you have a choice on receipts, don't you ?

I do, I leave them throw them in the trash.
Support your local trash hauler.

as for ban on Big sodas , you can still buy 3 Large or 6 Mediums :laughing7:

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know that suuuuucks. Damn soda, damn pop. I wish I could buy a juicer for everyone.
Yes I have a choice, but it's normally after it's already been printed and I just say keep it.
Diesel, if I bought you some reusable bags, could I send them to you? Would you use them? I'm serious about this.
you have a choice on receipts, don't you ?

I do, I leave them throw them in the trash.
Support your local trash hauler.

as for ban on Big sodas , you can still buy 3 Large or 6 Mediums :laughing7:

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that suuuuucks. Damn soda, damn pop. I wish I could buy a juicer for everyone.
Yes I have a choice, but it's normally after it's already been printed and I just say keep it.
Diesel, if I bought you some reusable bags, could I send them to you? Would you use them? I'm serious about this.

L While your at it buying everyone a bag can you start with the homeless guys walking around picking up Alum. cans (I give them credit for that) Then you can get those chain gain people on the highways make sure they are pink (Joes favorite color) Then you can go to all the state fairs and make them big enough to fit a trash can. That's a lot of dollars. No offense but they are plastic is not going anywhere soon.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Sorry diesel but I'll never support guns. Seeing how I've been shot before, guns aren't really my thing. Am I proffesionally trained in firearms? Yes. Must I take annual courses for my job, yup.
Am I all for equipping peeps with less than lethal force. Oh hellz yeah!!! O.C Spray, taser, bean bag rounds, I'm all for the toys that make you feel like you wanna die.
Ever been sprayed by o.c in the face? Ever had a rubber bullet shot at you? It feels like the real thing to me. This is all required training btw, I'm not some criminal lol.
I'm getting so off topic lol. Diesel we must meet in person!! Our views are so seperate!! Your type of mindset intrigues me as it is something that I don't have myself. P.M me sometime and lets continue this banter, I won't ever curse or think less of ya.
Link, I just have to ask, how and why did you get shot? Did it involve a farmers daughter perhaps? :laughing7: I have never been sprayed or shot with anything but I have had several lunch boxes thrown at me, does that count? :laughing7::dontknow: I know you are not a criminal but you oversee criminals. I would think that is a depressing job.:unhappysmiley: As far as receipts when you pump your gas or diesel at the pump most pumps give you the option of getting a receipt.....I always do. I might need to blow my nose or something and it could come in handy LOL!:laughing9: As far as meeting in person, well I live about 3500 miles from you in mid coast Maine. Although I used to live in Washington state as well as Oregon and California. That being said what part of Washington are you in? By the way anyone want to buy a house on 5.17 acres in Maine? LOL!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

Paper Bags can be recycled; PLASTIC Bags cannot. Are there bio-degradable plastic bags...? Haven't seen 'em...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
LOL! This is kind of fun going back and fourth!! I must admit I am probably "addicted" to soda. If you don't drink soda what do you drink? Coffee, water, you mentioned juicer so I assume you drink fresh juice, perhaps beer? As far as the bags go I appreciate the offer but I must decline as I am more than able to afford to buy some if I wanted, and I don't think we would use them. I do admire how genuine you are in your beliefs though. Not many would put their money where their mouth is. Well the thread is back in your court now as I need a refill on my Pepsi! :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Paper Bags can be recycled; PLASTIC Bags cannot. Are there bio-degradable plastic bags...? Haven't seen 'em...
I can assure you Rebel the plastic bags are reusable, recylable and they do break down quickly if left in the sun so I would say they are biodegradable.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yet another angle. The store has already covered the cost of the bags in their profit mark up for their goods. By charging an additional 5 cents the are increasing the profit margin they get to keep, whichnto be competitive is too low to begin with.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stocky you been talking to the school kids (under the Kings other half on her botched food plan) I know they're throwing most of it away.

Wow you really have an Obama fixation don't you. Any discussion what so ever can be turned into something Obama related. They do have help for that.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

And for someone so paranoid about needing to defend oneself from random armed assailants you seem fairly cavalier to the fact that you are waaaay more likely to end up in the hospital from spoiled or contaminated food than some random attach.

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, as a clinical herbalist, I know too much about our food supply and don't drink soda, energy drinks, sports drinks, hfc, gmo, msg, funny fat, fake food, dead food, etc,

BUT, YOU are free to put whatever you want into your body. I won't be banning your stuff just because I don't like it.

That's the problem with some people: They think they should ban what they don't like so you can't have it either! Too bad those people gather in our state houses!

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Reb - paper bags can be recycled and will also degrade in the environment pretty quickly. Plastic bags can also be recycled but are not accepted at every recycling program. Many grocery stores will take them back. One of the biggest uses is composite / plastic lumber like Trex decking.

There are a variety of compostable and also BioBased (many are made from potatoes) plastics. Its debatable whether they work and are any more environmental.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread