GROCERY BAG BAN?????

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, as a clinical herbalist, I know too much about our food supply and don't drink soda, energy drinks, sports drinks, hfc, gmo, msg, funny fat, fake food, dead food, etc,

BUT, YOU are free to put whatever you want into your body. I won't be banning your stuff just because I don't like it.

That's the problem with some people: They think they should ban what they don't like so you can't have it either! Too bad those people gather in our state houses!

Should my tax dollars pay for someone's triple bypass that gets covered my Medicare if they choose to continually eat an unhealthy diet? Or needs extensive hospitalization from chronic smoking. I completely agree that the government should not be telling people how to live, but then don't come with a hand out to the government looking for them to cover your medical bills. Maybe we have a live however you want and opt out of Medicare programs? That seems like a good solution?

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If the environmenalists would rather use renewable resources for their goods, forest products and hydropower are truly renewable, efficient and cheap.

But they don't like those either, so...........

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Should my tax dollars pay for someone's triple bypass that gets covered my Medicare if they choose to continually eat an unhealthy diet? Or needs extensive hospitalization from chronic smoking. I completely agree that the government should not be telling people how to live, but then don't come with a hand out to the government looking for them to cover your medical bills. Maybe we have a live however you want and opt out of Medicare programs? That seems like a good solution?

I agree. I don't subscribe to socialized disease care either. I HATE the fact that I'm paying for the candy and chips that the welfare card buys, then paying for the health consequences from the lifestyle.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the environmenalists would rather use renewable resources for their goods, forest products and hydropower are truly renewable, efficient and cheap.

Sustainable forestry is starting to gain acceptance. The problem is that most industrial forest land is not very diverse at all and does not really benefit the ecosystem.

I think the issues surrounding large hydro are pretty well understood as it changes the entire ecosystem of a river. What we call run of river hydro is much less intrusive and is gaining in acceptance.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Every energy source has its own issues and nothing is perfect. In the end the best place to start is with conservation.

KarenD

Feb 15, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nothing comes to us without a price. Nothing.

The clinical herbalist is mainly an educator, so my job is teaching people what healthy choices look like and encourage them in making good choices.: only IF they want to know. I don't force anything on anyone. I simply tell them how they got to where they are and how to get to where they want to be. They pay me to do this. Then, THEY decide how much they may want to use the information to adjust their diet and lifestyle.

Wait! I have to make a correction. ---> "Force empowers no one." <--- is wrong.

Heat and pressure make diamonds, and necessity is the mother of invention.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

NOT EVERYONE is eligible for Medicare, and those gov't funded programs... WHAT the worry? It is where Tax dollars are going...? So much for the GOLDEN RULE, eh?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The clinical herbalist is mainly an educator, so my job is teaching people what healthy choices look like and encourage them in making good choices.: only IF they want to know. I don't force anything on anyone. I simply tell them how they got to where they are and how to get to where they want to be. They pay me to do this. Then, THEY decide how much they may want to use the information to adjust their diet and lifestyle.

Force empowers no one.

Unfortunately, not many have the DISCIPLINE to "follow through"...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I can say with total accuracy a plastic bag left in the sun breaks down very quickly. It does not take the hundreds of years some would have you believe.

The problem lies not with bags "left in the sun", it lies in the billions of bags churned and ploughed under the soil at millions of municipal dumps, and those dumped by the barge load under the sea! Like zombies, one day future generations will find all these bags surfacing to cause immense problems!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The problem lies not with bags "left in the sun", it lies in the billions of bags churned and ploughed under the soil at millions of municipal dumps, and those dumped by the barge load under the sea! Like zombies, one day future generations will find all these bags surfacing to cause immense problems!
Dano, I don't think many municipalities are still burying trash. Maybe someone has some figures on this?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I ran into it at a grocery store in PA. Walked out with my arms full. I have a small trash can in my MH. I use those bags in it. You don't want to keep that stuff around in a MH for long. Also use them for dog cleanup, where required. At BJ's I grab a couple of boxes. I take the heavy duty meat boxes and use them to store things at home. Frank

rose on ice 700 this one.jpg

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOT EVERYONE is eligible for Medicare, and those gov't funded programs... WHAT the worry? It is where Tax dollars are going...? So much for the GOLDEN RULE, eh?

I have no problem with folks treating themselves however they want - just don't ask me to pay for it. I think that's fair don't you think?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have no problem with folks treating themselves however they want - just don't ask me to pay for it. I think that's fair don't you think?
I agree 1000%...

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dano, I don't think many municipalities are still burying trash. Maybe someone has some figures on this?

Most trash is still land filled as a lot of incineration facilities are being shut. Big difference is that the old "town dump" is no longer used. Modern landfills are massive serving entire regions /states. A lot of trash is even sent to facilities out of state.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Most trash is still land filled as a lot of incineration facilities are being shut. Big difference is that the old "town dump" is no longer used. Modern landfills are massive serving entire regions /states. A lot of trash is even sent to facilities out of state.
Any figures? Source?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yep this is our closest legal landfill at the moment I think.
& they get allot of New Yorks trash which is cool with me.
brings $$$ into the area. & if I ever gett Really really Hungry.... :tongue3:
I only wish I could search it & clean out the Mobsters pockets
before they cover them over:laughing7:

Untitled.jpg

and of course one of our many free landfills :laughing9:

Untitled.jpg

Untitled111.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in N Calif and we have landfills here....dumps. They try to separate batteries, household paints/chemicals, tires and appliances such as tv's, refrigerators etc.
There is one site that converts clean, untreated or painted wood into energy and a place that burns tires for energy. Most everything else gets put in the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread