OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What makes plants lean towards the sun ?
Not just sun flowers follow the sun. All flowers crave the sun, but how do they do it?
Well, there is a certain chemical called auxin which makes the stem grow faster on the dark side. since now there are more cells on the dark side, the plant naturally will grow towards the light. This is called phototropism. Now there is a tidbit that I always wondered about.
Frank...-
five star.png

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey... Had a thought today... There are NO SEAGULLS in or around the Hawaiian islands. And if anyone says I just learned this because I was picking up my daughter moving back to this area is mistaken. FYI... I already knew this.... Move on quickly.... PLEASE!!!!! She said no native snakes either on islands... but I knew this also.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember being in one of those bouncing walkers that you put little kids in before they can walk.I burnt my hands on the old heater that was part of the oven.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Origins of Measurements

In ancient times, the body ruled when it came to measuring. The length of a foot, the width of a finger, and the distance of a step were all accepted measurements.

Inch: At first an inch was the width of a man's thumb. In the 14th century, King Edward II of England ruled that 1 inch equalled 3 grains of barley placed end to end lengthwise.

Hand: A hand was approximately 5 inches or 5 digits (fingers) across. Today, a hand is 4 inches and is used to measure horses (from the ground to the horse's withers, or shoulder).

Span: A span was the length of the hand stretched out, about 9 inches.

Foot: In ancient times, the foot was 11 1/42 inches. Today it is 12 inches, the length of the average man's foot.

Yard: A yard was originally the length of a man's belt or girdle, as it was called. In the 12th century, King Henry I of England fixed the yard as the distance from his nose to the thumb of his out-stretched arm. Today it is 36 inches.

Cubit: In ancient Egypt, a cubit was the distance from the elbow to the fingertips. Today a cubit is about 18 inches.

Lick: A Lick was used by the Greeks to measure the distance from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the index finger.

Pace: The ancient Roman soldiers marched in paces, which were the length of a double step, about 5 feet; 1,000 paces was a mile. Today, a pace is the length of one step, 21/2 to 3 feet.
Measurements

Inch = 0.083 feet
Foot = 12 inches
Yard = 3 feet or 36 inches
Mile = 5,280 feet or 1,760 yards

Near and Far

Around the earth (at the equator): 24,901 miles
Across the continental U.S.: 3,000 miles
From the earth to the moon: 238,854 miles
From the earth to the sun: 93,000,000 miles

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The distance from my residence to my workshop is 1000 spans.

QUESTION: How many yards is this?

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think so.... unless I did it wrong (very possible).

I just did it another way and got the same answer as I got the first time. I think that's wrong Chris.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think so.... unless I did it wrong (very possible).

I just did it another way and got the same answer as I got the first time. I think that's wrong Chris.

20.833333333yrds. Maybe TO many coffees this morn.:laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe I'm wrong (again) but I just refigured another way and got the same distance I know to be correct. I think your wrong... I'll PM what I'm doing Chris. See if another gets the answer I'm getting.

PM your math to me please. Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I'm wrong (again) but I just refigured another way and got the same distance I know to be correct. I think your wrong... I'll PM what I'm doing Chris. See if another gets the answer I'm getting.

PM your math to me please. Maybe I'm missing something.

Guess 2 wrongs don't make a right!:laughing7:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years, the largest living thing in the world was thought to be a grove of Aspen trees spread across Canada. Their roots are all connected, so it is one living organism.

Until one day someone figured out that it was not the biggest. The mold that covered the roots, (covers all roots), would be a fraction of an inch bigger on each end, so the root mold on the Aspen grove is the largest living thing.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Can the Headless survive?

Unlike the vertebrate animals, insects have no spinal cord to form a central nervous system. Instead they have little knots of nerves called ganglia, connected to paired nerve cords at the underside of there bodies. Each ganglion controls a certain phase of activity and is often capable of functioning by itself. To prove this, it was shown that ants, with there heads cut off were able to continue to walk and live on for some time. One ant lived for over a month in the laboratory where he was beheaded.
Hay, roaches can do the same thing!
Frank...-
five star.png

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey... Had a thought today... There are NO SEAGULLS in or around the Hawaiian islands. And if anyone says I just learned this because I was picking up my daughter moving back to this area is mistaken. FYI... I already knew this.... Move on quickly.... PLEASE!!!!! She said no native snakes either on islands... but I knew this also.

What about other birds crapping on your head??:laughing7:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don & Worldtalker.... Like most typical 18-22 yr. olds most of us think we really do know a lot more then we really do. Now that we've gotten older (and wiser) we realize like worldtalker said "What we don't know". It's not that we're just forgetting were actually wiser... and that's called EXPERIENCE!!!! And you don't read or are told about it you actually went and got it.
Old Proverb tidbit.Proverb 19:27,If you stop learning,you will forget what you already know.That is the contemporary english version anyway.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Maturity, what sets it off?
Most mammals have different waiting periods for maturity to arrive.
Monkeys 3 years, Lions 2 years, Bears 30 months, Dogs 7 months,
Cats 10 months, and Man 13 years. What interests scientists is the thing that sets off the change. They believe the process starts in the nervous system, with the
hypothalamus gland playing the greatest roll. It acts as a biological timer, by turning
on the production of hormones that starts sexual maturity.
frank...-
five star.png

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maturity, what sets it off?
Most mammals have different waiting periods for maturity to arrive.
Monkeys 3 years, Lions 2 years, Bears 30 months, Dogs 7 months,
Cats 10 months, and Man 13 years. What interests scientists is the thing that sets off the change. They believe the process starts in the nervous system, with the
hypothalamus gland playing the greatest roll. It acts as a biological timer, by turning
on the production of hormones that starts sexual maturity.
frank...-
View attachment 1032065

"On the day I was born... they said leave this one alone".

JUBLIN: 250 yds. is correct!!!

Worldtalker: My daughter said there may not be any seagulls at all but the big island is overrun with pigeons.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fast Food!A bat can eat as many as 1,000 insects an hour.:clock:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread