Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Fart in TN said:
found Polaroid sx-70 and purchased for 8 dollars sold on e-bay for $144.00
You have to be kidding. I see them all the time at yard sales. Good job. :hello2:
I was running a camera department when the SX70 came out. Polaroid even sent me to an SX70 class, early 70's if I remember. Brand new we sold them for $100 to $125. May add the to my list.

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida
In addition to the SX-70 cameras, add the Flash Bars these use and the Sx-70 Time Zero film to your lists. Check what they get on Ebay!

tech125

May 11, 2010
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: camera found at thrift store-sx-70 near miss

Was at an estate sale today and found a manual for the poloroid sx-70 on a table.Asked the slaes woman if they had the camera to go with it.She said someone just bought it a minute ago for $15 and went to give it to the new lucky owner.She asked me if the guy who bought it got a good deal, I smiled.....near miss....sigh

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
thats because -- the flim for them is not being produced anymore * --thus those that use it (often for "instant " adults only type pictures at home)--will have to pay more and more as supplies for them dry up

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, My dad had 2 of them and a newer type Polaroid. I will have to see what model it is. But when he passed away I got them. I have the cases, manuals, extra film, (probably bad being it is old), So I guess I could put them on e-bay and see what I can get for them!

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
The Polaroids are nerd gold mines, because they have a distance sensor inside. I've played with one, and you can use the sensor, aim it across the room, and determine distance down to the tenth of an inch. It's based on sound travel per second. Nerds (me) love these sensors.

C

Cappy Z.

Can someone post a list of what cameras to look for at thrift stores..My wife and I were at a store Monday and much to my surprise there was literally about 50 old cameras.

Thanks

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy Z. said:
Can someone post a list of what cameras to look for at thrift stores..My wife and I were at a store Monday and much to my surprise there was literally about 50 old cameras.

Thanks
Do a "completed listings" search on Ebay using the keywords "vintage camera" and it will give you an idea of what is selling and what isn't. Hope this helps.

C

Cappy Z.

Thanks dig,
I think I did it right..it seems the only expensive camera is the Polaroid SX-70. I wonder if the film is expensive?

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Cappy, the film for Polaroids is no longer made.
The only stuff left is being sold online for around $30 a pack last I checked.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Believe it or not, the camera SX-70 is a favorite with artists. Andy Warhol used one quite a bit and inspired others to do so. One of the reasons it is so desireable.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Ghondi said:
Cappy, the film for Polaroids is no longer made.
The only stuff left is being sold online for around $30 a pack last I checked.

...And, if anyone wants to sell a poloriad... I'll buy it from them. Again, the sensors are gold mines. You can use the sensors to point across the room and come within a quarter inch. Nerds (like me) love these sensors. Or, better yet, look on Ebay, nerds love these sensors.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might start buying up Kodiak Kodachrome film, too. Kodiak announced within the last week or so that the production of that type film has been stopped and won't be made again. I imagine that Ektachrome will be the same way, if it hasn't already been stopped. Ektachrome was the kind of slide film that you could develop at home and the Kodachrome had to be developed by a commercial developer.

For long term storage of all films, including Polaroid, put the film into a Ziplock bag, belch the air from the bag and put into the vegetable drawer in you refrigerator. That drawer is designed NOT to allow freezing of it's contents.

craig101

May 8, 2006
there's no use buying and storing kodachrome. currently there is only ONE place in the whole USA that still processes kodachrome and they will stop processing this film at the end of the year.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I just wanted to say thanks to the "Old Fart", because of you I picked up a Polaroid SX-70 at a yard sale for $5 today. I will post it tonight on Ebay. You folks that post this sort of info and help out us newbies are the best. My hat is off to you.

T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread