Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I sell a lot International and had to come up with a shipping and calculated risk plan that works best for my situation. Sending state to state you guys probably have no idea how good you have it.
I have had packages that didnt arrive in Colombia and Italy. I prefer to do states only but I had to add International to try and increase bids hoping they wouldnt actually win. I still eliminate Colombia and sometimes Mexico.. Colombia once returned my camera a year later and the box was full of ice pick holes. They also opened it up, ripped the packaging and put it all back in the box and returned it to me (a year later). I think it was a customs thing. I had refunded the buyer a year earlier.

I havent figured out how to save my settings on Colombia, Mexico and Italy. Im tired of having to scroll through the entire list of countries every listing so I just let it ride now hoping for the best. I sometimes eliminate the entire South America.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That's why you should talk to him! Most transactions that go wrong could have been avoided by communication. I very rarely would ever file on someone or leave a negative without talking to them first. If you don't, they are just going to react through the system like you did, and possibly leave a negative.

IP, he doesnt reply. He hasnt replied a single time. I cannot communicate if he refuses to reply. I keep trying every day. But then again he may think he has already paid.

If he doesnt respond in 4 days, I think I should start the cancellation process. What do you think?

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP, he doesnt reply. He hasnt replied a single time. I cannot communicate if he refuses to reply. I keep trying every day. But then again he may think he has already paid.

If he doesnt respond in 4 days, I think I should start the cancellation process. What do you think?

It is possible he hasn't checked his messages/email. If I was you I'd write him again and say that you are ready to ship, asking if he can send a direct payment from his pp balance. Of course it's unlikely he can, but the idea is to just get a reply and not look like the bad guy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It is possible he hasn't check his messages/email. If I was you I'd write him again and say that you are ready to ship, asking if he can send a direct payment from his pp balance. Of course it's unlikely he can, but the idea is to just get a reply and not look like the bad guy.
Yes thats exactly what Im trying to do. Now I have to go into my eBay setting and change the automatic report non payers from 4 days. I may have to give him more time to respond.

If he had paid, he would have received it Saturday. My research seems to tell me that when I cancel a PayPal echeck, it may be put into his PayPal account but other research says it goes back into his bank account. Either way I think its too late to admit I was wrong. I stated that I dont accept echecks and thats my story and Im sticking with it. :laughing9:

Last edited:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had packages that didnt arrive in Colombia and Italy. I prefer to do states only but I had to add International to try and increase bids hoping they wouldnt actually win. I still eliminate Colombia and sometimes Mexico.. Colombia once returned my camera a year later and the box was full of ice pick holes. They also opened it up, ripped the packaging and put it all back in the box and returned it to me (a year later). I think it was a customs thing. I had refunded the buyer a year earlier.

I havent figured out how to save my settings on Colombia, Mexico and Italy. Im tired of having to scroll through the entire list of countries every listing so I just let it ride now hoping for the best. I sometimes eliminate the entire South America.

I just don't ship internationally at all. While you will lose out on bidders, I'm just not interested enough to care I guess, haha. Too many countries don't offer any proof of delivery with shipping, so it's a crap shoot.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I just don't ship internationally at all. While you will lose out on bidders, I'm just not interested enough to care I guess, haha. Too many countries don't offer any proof of delivery with shipping, so it's a crap shoot.
I understand. Thats the way I was until my friend told me about the huge prices he received from Japan. Some Japanese collectors are crazy about American items. I have also got good prices from Australia.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand. Thats the way I was until my friend told me about the huge prices he received from Japan. Some Japanese collectors are crazy about American items. I have also got good prices from Australia.

Yeah, the Japanese will pay good money for stuff, as will much of Europe. But to me, the risk hasn't been worth the reward. If they want these items, they can still buy them and have them shipped through freight forwarders. I sell a few hundred items a year that get shipped to freight forwarders.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OK its looking up. The buyer was on a trip and he finally emailed me saying he was sorry that he hasnt purchased for a year and his registered card was expired. He has attached a new card and will pay PayPal in 2 days if we still have a deal. I guess I have to ship it out when he pays. He got a bargain.

Heres is one that payed off. Its not a great price but its good $40. If I had listed for 9.99 I would have lost it. Im listing all higher prices from now on! Antique SARGENT NO. 414 Woodworking Smooth Jack Plane same size as Stanley No 5 | eBay

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The item sold July 5. I promply cancelled the check and wrote back an explanation. I have since written back and sent an invoice every day and he has yet to reply. As a matter of fact all 4 of my sales that day havent replied. The new eBay kinda really suks so far.

He has a perfect feedback of 127. I knida hate to report him as no pay, but I think I have no choice.
How can you report him as a no pay ?...... He paid you with a echeck and you refused payment.... I don't under stand... He paid you refused and now you want to report him.???

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How can you report him as a no pay ?...... He paid you with a echeck and you refused payment.... I don't under stand... He paid you refused and now you want to report him.???

I do not accept checks of any kind and I state that in my listing. I ACCEPT PAYPAL ONLY. NO ECHECKS. If someone tries to pay by check it will be blocked or cancelled. I never wanted to report him as a nonpayer but I wanted to know how I should handle the situation. Thats why I started this thread. IP found a solution but it doesnt seem to be needed.. How do you handle non-payers and those that dont reply?

A few minutes ago, the buyer finally replied. He seems like a nice guy. He won the bid and I have to ship him the item. But I have one small request that he needs to pay first with Paypal and he says he will in 2 days so problem is solved. Do you understand now?

He said there was a problem with his PayPal account and he is very sorry he was on a trip. He seems like a great guy and he seems to agree with me that a bidder should have his PayPal in order before bidding.

I have 3 other non-payers and they dont bother to reply either. Im reporting them as non-pay in 4 days and they have 4 days to pay. Why should I fool with them Keppy?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I understand echecks have worked well for many people but from what I understand echeck payers may not have enough money in their bank account, arent backed by credit card or bank account or have expired, closed or cancelled and it could have been untold weeks before it was in my PayPal account. I have been burnt by a check that BTW can take over 2 weeks to clear, there are many scams involving echecks and its within my rights to refuse to accept them. It seems to be a trend that echeck sellers are more likely to be a problem or leave bad feedback.. I would imagine that is the reason we are allowed to cancel echecks.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im curious do you have PayPal and do you keep it updated before you bid?

I understand it happens. My credit card expired. It can be updated in 2 days. Its faster than waiting for an echeck.

If I hadnt cancelled his echeck he would have to wait longer for his delivery. Who knows it may never have cleared because the buyer didnt know his card had expired. So in this case i was correct by cancelling the echeck because the buyer had no idea it was bad.

Yes at first I wasnt sure what to do but after talking to IP, I had no intention of reporting him as no-pay. I was going to cancel the transaction.

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Im curious do you have PayPal and do you keep it updated before you bid?

I understand it happens. My credit card expired. It can be updated in 2 days. Its faster than waiting for an echeck.

If I hadnt cancelled his echeck he would have to wait longer for his delivery. Who knows it may never have cleared because the buyer didnt know his card had expired. So in this case i was correct by cancelling the echeck because the buyer had no idea it was bad.

Yes at first I wasnt sure what to do but after talking to IP, I had no intention of reporting him as no-pay. I was going to cancel the transaction.
My self i pay as soon as i win a bid.....if i am home the seller has there money within 5 minutes................ I use my paypal account to pay with...... I make sure i have enought money in my account when i bid..........With Echeck's i never had a problem with them i always have my money with in a week put in my paypal account from the buyer..............I have been selling & buying on Ebay for ever it seems like.......... And i have only ever had one sale that i never got paid for... I hear about ones not getting paid.....And problems with echeck ......... I must be lucky on Ebay all these years i have sold on ebay and only ever had one person not pay and never a problem with echeck...........

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
OK thanks. I may change my mind later. I posted here for advice. I think if they cant keep their PayPal updated, they shouldnt bid. I could have shipped it out and he would have recieved it yesterday and it would be done.

I actually have 3 other non-payers. 3 of 4 didnt pay at all and one echeck. Bad day.

Do you accept paper checks too?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OK thanks. I may change my mind later. I posted here for advice. I think if they cant keep their PayPal updated, they shouldnt bid. I could have shipped it out and he would have recieved it yesterday and it would be done.

I actually have 3 other non-payers. 3 of 4 didnt pay at all and one echeck. Bad day.

Do you accept paper checks too?
I did at one time but not any more never had a problem with them but i had times when it took the bank 3 weeks to put the check through.................. And i will take a US Postal money order also for any amount........... With the money order i take it to the post office and if they say it is good then i ship out the item...................I have a hard time turning down any type of payment ..... Because i really like money.........But there is some here that tell me they don't like money....... But like i said before the ones that say they don't like money I BET they check the stock on DOW every day.....

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I did at one time but not any more never had a problem with them but i had times when it took the bank 3 weeks to put the check through.................. And i will take a US Postal money order also for any amount........... With the money order i take it to the post office and if they say it is good then i ship out the item...................I have a hard time turning down any type of payment ..... Because i really like money.........But there is some here that tell me they don't like money....... But like i said before the ones that say they don't like money I BET they check the stock on DOW every day.....
I have accepted a USPS Money Order in the past but thats as far as I go. Sometimes its just not worth it Keppy to try to please everybody. If they want to buy from me and they want it shipped fast, they better open a PayPal account and keep it updated. To me its simple.

FYI one time the bank told me it cleared after 2 weeks and I shipped. Well guess what it bounced.

I dont turn down any payment either but to tell me it may clear in a week, or 2 weeks or it may not clear at all is not payment. That sounds like trouble. Besides that, Im moving in a month or so and I wont have internet..

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I have accepted a USPS Money Order in the past but thats as far as I go. Sometimes its just not worth it Keppy to try to please everybody. If they want to buy from me and they want it shipped fast, they better open a PayPal account and keep it updated. To me its simple.

FYI one time the bank told me it cleared after 2 weeks and I shipped. Well guess what it bounced.

I dont turn down any payment either but to tell me it may clear in a week, or 2 weeks or it may not clear at all is not payment. That sounds like trouble. Besides that, Im moving in a month or so and I wont have internet..
Yes it takes to long for a check to clear.............Like you said if they want there item fast ....Use paypal ..... Myself i like paypal i can pay fast and get paid fast........... The USPS money orders are good for you can take it right to thr post office and they can look at it and tell you if it is a good money order..............

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Keppy. A USPS money order is the only payment I accept besides Paypal.
And only if a potential bidder asks to pay that way. That way I can check their ebay profile before agreeing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread