Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ebay sucks for you because you are going about it all wrong.

The first thing is, I don't understand what's the big deal about an E-check? You wait, it clears, and it's the same as he paid you instantly. In some situations when the buyer draws from his bank account and not his PP balance it has to go as an E-check. That is what happens for me, so I make a point to always have enough money, but it's the back up if I run short. A few years back I had to send E-checks for a week straight for many items and never had a problem. I've also received my fair share too, and even shipped many things before they cleared, and still never had a problem.

Next... it's not too late, talk to the guy and figure it out. There's nothing worse than the other party acting in a negative manner and not explaining themself. It's not too late to take an E-check (write him and send another invoice saying you made a mistake)... but if you still don't want to, surely don't file a non paying bidder on the guy, just go through the same process, but cancel the transaction and you both walk away the same as before the transaction. But talk to the guy! Most people are reasonable.

I may have made a mistake but I have been writing to him and he doesnt respond.. He apparently doesnt have his bank or credit card as backup and that is the reason for echeck. If he listed his bank as backup I would have received payment instantly.

Are you saying I can cancell the transaction? How do I do that? As far as I know he has 32 days to pay unless I report him as a no pay. I dont want to wait 32 days. I have it set automatically to report all non payers in 4 days.

I have read a lot of bad about echecks. Google eBay echeck cancel and you can read them. I dont like any checks and that is why I stated in my listing that I do not accept them. I only received a check one time and my bank told me that out of town checks take up to 2 weeks to clear. I waited 2 weeks shipped it and guess what it bounced. I would imagine the same can happen with a echeck but I dont really know.

I could write him and tell him to send again but he is not responding. I think he is already pissed and I doubt any good will come out of this transaction. Tell me how I can stop the transaction without waiting the 32 days. Do I get my fees back? Thanks.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have been reading a lot about echecks. Google echeck scam and will will see there are several. I am also reading that some echecks can take 3 weeks and the buyer often complains about it taking so long to receive. . Here is a quote I read.

"I mentioned before how I hate e-checks.
When I was in the eBay business it seemed that a lot of the time all the scams and bad feedback were from people that sent e-checks
."

Maybe Im just paranoid but I have already spent way too many hours researching this mess. The buyer wont respond. I belive it will end badly.

I need to figure how to cancel this transaction without making it any worse because Im not leaving it open for 32 days and I think its too late to tell him I made a mistake especially if he doesnt respond. The last time I admitted a mistake I paid for it.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell under the same name. You can click see other items. I will relist some stuff today.
Antique patent STANLEY LEVEL No 1-3/4 Rosewood Marking Gauge No 104 Sweetheart | eBay

I havent put the best stuff on yet because Im learning still.

I hear you. I sold several average items for over $200 a few months ago and I was very happy. But before that it was years ago. Thanks IP.

I see you would have been easy to find. :laughing7:

It can be tough when deciding what to do because the listings fees start to add up when you start things high, but if it's stuff with not much interest you don't really have a choice because it can slip through for nothing. That's why fixed price listings for 20 cents a month aren't a bad idea, at least for me.

Last edited:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing I noticed is bidders dont seem to want USPS Priority shipping anymore. They seem to want whatever is cheapest which means I have to stockpile more boxes..

Don't give bidders the option of choosing the cheapest method. Choose what is the most convenient for YOU. I just list a flat fee for shipping on all auctions and tell bidders that it will go FedEx or USPS Priority depending on their location and my cost. I generally make $1-3 per shipment since I have a pretty sweet FedEx discount. If you are selling unique items, the buyers don't care if they pay $10.50 for shipping or $12.50. It's the combined cost of the item that they are looking at. Sometimes I price higher than my competition and list an item with free shipping. It all just depends on the item and what kind of buyers I'm looking at. A buyer for a common Fenton bell is much different than the buyer for a rare piece of EAPG.

And for larger items, don't use USPS Priority. Dimensional weight will kill you every time (unless it goes to your state or a neighboring state). Anything bigger than 12x12x12 will get hit with dimensional. And it's tough for me to keep most of my glassware under that size.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been reading a lot about echecks. Google echeck scam and will will see there are several. I am also reading that some echecks can take 3 weeks and the buyer often complains about it taking so long to receive. . Here is a quote I read.

Maybe Im just paranoid but I have already spent way too many hours researching this mess. The buyer wont respond. I belive it will end badly.

I need to figure how to cancel this transaction without making it any worse because Im not leaving it open for 32 days and I think its too late to tell him I made a mistake especially if he doesnt respond. The last time I admitted a mistake I paid for it.

You can google ANYTHING and find some kind of scam that can scare you away from it. Just because people get their CC #'s stolen by skimmers at retail locations hasn't stopped me from using mine. You can't live in fear because of a few bad apples. Generally, the scammers are going to focus on new sellers that are selling high end electronics. New sellers rarely know all of the little ins and outs of selling online such as signature confirmation, etc.

Oh yeah, another tip that most people, new and long time sellers don't understand: Delivery confirmation is not proof of delivery to address. It is only proof that it was delivered SOMEWHERE in that specific zip code. It won't stand up to a chargeback if the buyer claims non delivery. If anything sells for more than you feel comfortable losing, then get signature confirmation.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
but if you still don't want to, surely don't file a non paying bidder on the guy, just go through the same process, but cancel the transaction and you both walk away the same as before the transaction.
This is the best advice yet on how I can handle this situation and my fees are refunded. . I think I found it.
Canceling a transaction

The buyer has up to 7 days to respond to your case. If you haven't heard back after 7 days, you can close the case and you'll receive a final value fee credit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
It can be tough when deciding what to do because the listings fees start to add up when you start things high, but if it's stuff with not much interest you don't really have a choice because it can slip through for nothing. That's why fixed price listings for 20 cents a more aren't a bad idea, at least for me.
The listing fees have changed. Its now free to start high in auction and I get 50 free auctions a month. Im listing high now, no more 99 cents. . If it doesnt sell I keep relisting. Thats my plan. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIAMI-AMIGO...intage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item20c7b78c97

"As seen on Treasurenet" lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Another question for the pros. Does it help to to start a 7 day auction on Sunday evening so it will end on Sunday evening? What is the best time and day to end an auction?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another question for the pros. Does it help to to start a 7 day auction on Sunday evening so it will end on Sunday evening? What is the best time and day to end an auction?

I was once a firm believer in only ending on Sunday evening. Now, I believe in that a lot less. Now, the biggest factor is having an in demand item. With so many bidders using sniping software, it almost doesn't matter what night you end it on. I've seen auctions that end at 4am on Tuesday morning go for insane prices.

But, for me, I do not list Thursday/Friday/Saturday as the average person is less likely to be home those evenings compared to other nights of the week. Very few people stay out late on Sunday evening.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can google ANYTHING and find some kind of scam that can scare you away from it. Just because people get their CC #'s stolen by skimmers at retail locations hasn't stopped me from using mine. You can't live in fear because of a few bad apples. Generally, the scammers are going to focus on new sellers that are selling high end electronics. New sellers rarely know all of the little ins and outs of selling online such as signature confirmation, etc.

Oh yeah, another tip that most people, new and long time sellers don't understand: Delivery confirmation is not proof of delivery to address. It is only proof that it was delivered SOMEWHERE in that specific zip code. It won't stand up to a chargeback if the buyer claims non delivery. If anything sells for more than you feel comfortable losing, then get signature confirmation.

To add a little to that, it's not just a charge back, it's any Paypal claim. No signature is basically the same as you didn't send it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The listing fees have changed. Its now free to start high in auction and I get 50 free auctions a month. Im listing high now, no more 99 cents. . If it doesnt sell I keep relisting. Thats my plan. MIAMI AMIGOS 1979 Inter-American League LOUISVILLE SLUGGER 125 Baseball Bat 16" | eBay

"As seen on Treasurenet" lol

oh yeah, I forgot about that. I don't even know if I qualify, or the free ones I've had in the past was some kind of special offer. I think was was just an offer because I haven't had anything free for a while. It's tough to plan it for me anyway so I tend not to pay much attention. If I ever get super organized and things going great I might look into it, or watch for the free listing times for me when they come up.

Of course canceling the transaction is the best choice, or I wouldn't have said it. :tongue3:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add a little to that, it's not just a charge back, it's any Paypal claim. No signature is basically the same as you didn't send it.

I had put any PayPay claim in there, but edited it out. I seem to remember an instance in the past where I was covered by PayPal, but the buyer also got their refund. My assumption though is that it was based on my history with PayPal and eBay and they just sort of took one for the team. The last time I had a legit negative feedback had to be over 5 years ago. My only one in the past 5 years was over a person thinking the 20 plastic star wars lightsabers they bought for $2 each would shoot out actual beams of light that they could fight with. PayPal denied the buyer's claim on that one, but they still gave me a negative, haha.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Back to the echeck thing. The reason I was told its an echeck is because his credit card may have been cancelled or expired or he didnt list his bank account or he has insufficient funds.

I believe that all he has to do is list his bank account and repay. If he refuses to list his bank account or credit card with Paypal or make sure he has sufficient funds in PayPal, why is this my problem? Why should I have to wait for an echeck from Paypal or he may even need to deposit into his bank account? If he bids, he should be prepared to pay.

Now he is ignoring my emails but its possible that he thinks I accepted his echeck..

My payment instructions:

echecks.jpg

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think it matters too much, but most people seem to be on this forum on Sunday nights so I'm sure the same holds true for ebay as well. I used to stick to just Sunday night but now I don't care which night, just tend to wait until after business hours on the West coast. Will never know if all these little things matter, or make enough difference to think about, so you just go with your gut, because it's all you can do. I didn't include going with past experience because ebay is way too unpredictable, especially for auctions. I've had weeks where I didn't expect great things and I killed it (for what was on) and other weeks where I was pumped up for a great night, and it seemed like a bar that no one was sticking around at. That's why I just do the best I can and whatever happens, happens, because most of the time I do fairly well, and everyone is going to have some bad days. In other words I look at the big picture over a much longer time than just one sale, or one week.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I guess Delivery Confirmation is only good for tracking.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had put any PayPay claim in there, but edited it out. I seem to remember an instance in the past where I was covered by PayPal, but the buyer also got their refund. My assumption though is that it was based on my history with PayPal and eBay and they just sort of took one for the team. The last time I had a legit negative feedback had to be over 5 years ago. My only one in the past 5 years was over a person thinking the 20 plastic star wars lightsabers they bought for $2 each would shoot out actual beams of light that they could fight with. PayPal denied the buyer's claim on that one, but they still gave me a negative, haha.

Yep, that's another thing, you're going to get some real nutcases and I had the displeasure of dealing with one last week. You really can't win because they do always get you in one way or another.

For most lower end items I don't think a getting a signature is a big deal because most people are not going to try to rip you off for a small amount, and the post office doesn't lose very many. If every buyer was honest I probably would never insure a thing, or just the very high priced stuff, because I'd save way more money then what it would cost me in lost mail. Everyone has to look at their own situation because if you're spending $400 extra a month to cover yourself, and nothing gets lost for 3 months, you just wasted $1,200. Even if you got ripped off twice for a $100 a pop, you're still up a grand. I sell a lot International and had to come up with a shipping and calculated risk plan that works best for my situation. Sending state to state you guys probably have no idea how good you have it.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually, it's not even good for that. Sometimes it will get scanned, sometimes it won't. The USPS doesn't promise any tracking and basically tells you that you should be thankful if it does get tracked.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
oh yeah, I forgot about that. I don't even know if I qualify, or the free ones I've had in the past was some kind of special offer. I think was was just an offer because I haven't had anything free for a while. It's tough to plan it for me anyway so I tend not to pay much attention. If I ever get super organized and things going great I might look into it, or watch for the free listing times for me when they come up.

Of course canceling the transaction is the best choice, or I wouldn't have said it. :tongue3:
Im going to try to cancel the transaction but it will only be successful if the buyer agrees or if he doesnt respond in 7 days. If the buyer doesnt agree, Im back to square one with a very annoyed buyer..

My listings were free last week. I hope it wasnt a special offer. I only pay 10 cents for a colorful border.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/bigcypressh..._Sports_Memorabilia&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep. And just think how you'd feel if it showed delivered, and the person still filed a claim against you, and you lost. I think it's stupid and delivery confirmation should be good enough.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to try to cancel the transaction but it will only be successful if the buyer agrees or if he doesnt respond in 7 days. If the buyer doesnt agree, Im back to square one with a very annoyed buyer..

My listings were free last week. I hope it wasnt a special offer. I only pay 10 cents for a colorful border.

bigcypresshunter | eBay

That's why you should talk to him! Most transactions that go wrong could have been avoided by communication. I very rarely would ever file on someone or leave a negative without talking to them first. If you don't, they are just going to react through the system like you did, and possibly leave a negative.

I have an ebay store and probably why I don't get the free 50. Think you're fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread