How to destroy metal detecting for everyone.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
He's doing his thing on private property with the owners permission so far as I can tell. Except maybe that idiotic episode in Chicago.

But I can hear the screams from the annointed ones all over TV land every time the show is on, and that pleases me.

I wonder if Auction Hunters or Storage Wars is garnering the same contempt within those communities? I know how much some family and friends despised the Antiques Roadshow when it came out as it simply drove the old black powder market, especially Civil War era arms and equipment, into true nuttiness. Everyone not in the marketplace already thought their rusty old Enfield was a 10,000 dollar gun all at once.

Antique furniture went into lala land.

And don't even bring up American Pickers. The money those guys throw down on the stuff I used to find for fractions of that amount borders on some kind of mental illness and makes those military over-expenditures of fame look like bargain basement deals.

Not gonna watch anything but Paid Programming from now, that 's my favorite show....

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
spartacus53 said:
ticm, there's a line that forms around my house every morning to go detecting, feel free to join them :laughing7:

Actually, I don't detect as often as I should, but then again it's a hobby and I do have a few of them that keep me busy. I mainly detect now to entertain the people that watch me. I have a blast in driving them crazy :laughing7: All you'll ever come away with from detecting with me is a stomach ache from laughing too much. :tongue3:

And if you do find something of value, pass it to me, I'll hawk it and I'll give you a 60-40 split. That way you'll still have your integrity, I lost my integrity years ago and no detector made will ever find it. :laughing7:

As I said I don't do it for cash, so of I find something you like I'll give it to you. I do give some stuff away. Only if it puts a smile on your face.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find a nice gold bar, that would put a smile on my face when you handed it over. I'm not proud :laughing9:

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm said:
As I said I don't do it for cash, so of I find something you like I'll give it to you. I do give some stuff away. Only if it puts a smile on your face.

Hey im all about hand outs so feel free to throw some stuff my way..lol

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
I think the majority of us don't find enough valuble rings, coins or other things of value to say we are in it for the money. The rings I find I give to the wife if I cannot identify the owner. The toys I find go to the grand kids, all modern coins I sell once a year. I havent found many coins made of silver but if I did I would sell them to some one who appreciates them, since I am not a coin collecter. While you are entitled to you opinion, I really don't care. Some of us keep our finds some of us sell them. The majority of us will never get rich off of metal detecting. I hunt because I enjoy it as to finds I feel it is my right to do whatever I want with them. I hope you find alot of gold jewelry and relics. Keep them if that is your desire. I am sure whoever inherits them when you are gone will appreciate them as they head to the auctioner or the bank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
The wheats and double eagle in the milk jug were an epic fail. The cloth bag it was in, would of been soaked after being in that mud, even though it was in the jug. When they were walking back to the boat, they didnt even have it with them, lol. He said there was $400 in wheats there, but how could he know? It could just be bunch of 50's, no keys. hate the show, but like the idea.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey! You used my "Ric Sausage" picture! :)

that loudmouthed, fat,obnoxious douchebag has already caused me to have one door slammed in my face.
"Ain't no way, I seen what they do on TV" was the response and two homeowners ask me for a "split of the take." (facepalm)

TV ruins everything, but the people involved in it don't care, they get swept in their 15 minutes of fame and will ride that wave til the next "flavor of the week" comes along, who cares about what damage they did.

Leaving those of us who do it for the love, were here long before they were, and will be here long after, to pick up the pieces.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I do it for $$ and history too, however I think that the first thought in your head, should not be "What's it worth"

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know why but i really like money $$$$$$ the green stuff the gold stuff the silver stuff.... nice stones diamonds rubys ect ect...... Must be something wrong with me .... I like the the relics and the history items also........... as long as they bring in cash in to my hands.............

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Keep watching the show every body. Then start a new thread about it. We can make posts on it until next week. When that show airs we can start yet another thread about it. We can make posts on it until next week. ect., ect..

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ticm, not a bad idea, but I have watched that show only once and need to go no further. Besides, I think TVland will be airing the lost episodes of Taxi during that time slot and I can't miss that :laughing7:

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why but i really like money $$$$$$ the green stuff the gold stuff the silver stuff.... nice stones diamonds rubys ect ect...... Must be something wrong with me .... I like the the relics and the history items also........... as long as they bring in cash in to my hands.............

Keppy you forgot the crusty roasted and toasted brownish/green copper stuff!

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Keppy said:

So what if any thing do you want to sell.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
Rick Savage is a fat gosh pig who is doing nothing for this pastime. There is nothing entertaining about the show , other than seeing his fat arse get rejected at the door.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So what if any thing do you want to sell.
I don't keep any thing i sell it as fast as i get it............. The only thing i keep is scrap metal ... I have some now but i wait till i get a big enough load before i run it to the scrap yard.....

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
He's doing his thing on private property with the owners permission so far as I can tell. Except maybe that idiotic episode in Chicago.

But I can hear the screams from the annointed ones all over TV land every time the show is on, and that pleases me.

I wonder if Auction Hunters or Storage Wars is garnering the same contempt within those communities? I know how much some family and friends despised the Antiques Roadshow when it came out as it simply drove the old black powder market, especially Civil War era arms and equipment, into true nuttiness. Everyone not in the marketplace already thought their rusty old Enfield was a 10,000 dollar gun all at once.

And don't even bring up American Pickers. The money those guys throw down on the stuff I used to find for fractions of that amount borders on some kind of mental illness and makes those military over-expenditures of fame look like bargain basement deals.

Not gonna watch anything but Paid Programming from now, that 's my favorite show....
Lowbatts.... Every thing you said there was the truth about all those shows.................. They have did nothing but ruin every thing..... Any more you go to a flea market.......... Every one there thinks the junk they have is gold bars the price they ask ........... And that comes from all the shows like that we now have on TV ........ Not just one or two shows............ You name it garage sales , flea markets , second hand stores , antique stores........... They have all went crazy on there price's...... So like i said every one of those shows on tv has caused all of us problems one way or another.......... Oh yes and ....Lowbatts.... you made that post and put out the truth and you did not even have to resort to name calling :thumbsup: :occasion14:

ABruce

Apr 11, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

From what I've been hearing from fleamarket guys I knew who attended storage auctions, that game is now over. I live near a storage facility and rent a locker there. They used to get maybe 6 or 7 people at an auction and most lockers went for $10. to $150. NOW, since the multiplication and popularity of the storage auction shows, they get 60 to 70+ people at an auction and the neophytes are bidding these lockers up 1000% because they figure there are the same treasures in there as those A$$Hats from Auction Hunters always seem to find in every show. It seems that lots of broke and desperate people think that doing this is going to make them a fortune. They end up losing a bundle on urine stained mattresses, old dirty clothes, video tapes, broken furniture, bald tires, rusty tools, etc. When I see Allen and Ton or Dave picking through their latest purchases applying ridiculous values on common items, no wonder these people get lulled into the idea that they're going to make a bundle. Anyone who ever sold at a fleamarket knows it isn't that easy. There is no more easy money at storage auctions.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never sell ANYTHING I find. I have a job to earn money. Would I sell my Morgan, or keydate barber half? No way, what the hell for. Why would i sell something I searched so hard for, just for stupid modern money? It would be a waste in my opinion. When I die, I will leave everything that I have found to the local museum. I guess I would sell my finds if my family was starving or something...

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure enjoyed buying my new detector and some other cool things with the 1500.00 I got for my Frontier token when I sold it. Of course we are not all in it for the money, I wouldnt sell my silver dollar either but if I found a gold ring or a 20.00 gold coin I sure as hell will sell it. My rule is if its worth a few hundred sell it cause they may not want to buy it later. Rick doesent sell the things on his show really, I mean you can tell its all staged. He makes money putting on a entertaining ( even if poorly ) show. To each his own, we as a group are always about doing what we want with the things we have found weather it be selling, keeping or giving away. I keep some things and sell some things and if asked to do some features on Diggers Ill sure be there, probably wont ask for money to do the show but sure will ask for an all expence paid trip to the south east to detect some civ or cologne. HH to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread