How to destroy metal detecting for everyone.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
There was a thread going called "tell Ric savage what you think...". His email was posted, he wants feedback.

[email protected]

Thanks J. Cache, I sent an email to this address inviting him and his team to come join treasure.net and discuss his show. I don't do facebook but if anyone who does would like to see if they have a page and invite them to Tnet from there that would be great.

Charlie

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that ...Michigan badger... said lets talk real world not dream world.............

Hey you get a BIG at-a-boy for that one, now give yourself a pat on the back also.
You are CORRECT, The Real World.
If you want to sell everything you find? That is Fine with Me.
If you want to hunt land without Permission? That is up to You. You have to live with that Choices.
You see my avatar? That Is ME, that is Reality!!!!!
I am Not the one living in a Fantasy World!!!
I will Ask for Permission, I will offer the Property owner any thing that I Find. I will Not hunt ANY Land with out Permission.
If you can not Accept that? Sorry about your Loss.
I do not sell anything other then the scrap that I find, look at the avatar, I am not Starving to death!
That is Reality!!!
You Do Not Speak for Me, and I do not Speak for You!!!
Hey man its 8:30 it is time to Wake Up Now.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nobody said that they detect for a living, but you guysassumed so. Nor did anything about obtaining permission come into play till you said it real world man. You shouldnt associate selling finds with not obtaining permission. The real world is nobody makes a living doing this and i dont believe anyone ever said that. But a bunch of us sell things to buy things we want, no problem with that right?

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Keppy said:
WELL THIS SUBJECT IS GOING NOWERE FAST......I LKE THIS I DON'T LIKE THAT ECT ECT...... I LIKE YOUR IDEAS SO I WILL HUNT WITH YOU ...i DON'T LIKE YOUR IDEAS SO I WOULD NOT HUNT WITH YOU........ iT IS GETTING TO CHILD LIKE SO ..... THIS THREAD AND SUBJECT I AM GONE........I ALWAYS SAY I AM NOT GOING TO GET INTO THESE NO WERE POST'S AGAIN........... THEN I DO ..........NO MORE.....

Good, it will be a better thread without you laughing at every ones opinion.

OP
OP
MrSchulz

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't mind selling the finds, but just to make the point clear, I don't think your first thought should be "whats it worth" before "Wow this is a cool piece"

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last hunt, I came home with a few wheats, an obliterated V nickel a .32 Henry Rimfire shell, and a neat lock plate for a pocket door (plus a lot of trash). I could sell the lock plate for around 5 bucks if I spent the time to clean it up, that would be around 2 hours, add in the 6 hours we spent on the site and think of working an 8 hour day for 5 bucks. I'm not unhappy with it, I like the things I dug, but as far as trying to make money out of it, well I'd rather have a job.....

I don't care if people sell their finds, you found it, what you do with it is up to you, but to say that you are detecting a tot lot "for the money" is asinine. When I go out of my house to make money I call it going to work..... when I go out detecting I call it a nice day outside. I'll admit I would not complain if I hit a jar full of double eagles, but I'm not expecting to find one, or anything other than what I find for that matter. If you go out with "I'm going to get a big score this time" in your mind, you may as well stay home and get a lottery ticket..... the odds are about the same, and you won't be tired from walking all day.

By the way.... I have hit a big cache.... but with a crowbar not a detector, I still don't go thinking to myself every time I tear out a wall that I'm going to find something valuable, because I know that most likely I'll get nothing more than plaster dust and a mess to clean up before I leave the jobsite.

As far as "treasure", it's what you want it to be. A coin might be treasure to someone who has no concern for old bullets, and an old bullet might be more prized to someone than a gold ring. We're all in this for our own reasons, and I really don't care about yours, I just like to see what pops up next.

Last edited:

ZINCLID

Apr 2, 2010
ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Mostly Tesoro units-I've owned five of them--but I've used Whites,Fishers,Garretts,Nautilus, Minelab, and Detex.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't judge anyone one way or the other about what they do with their "TREASURES". I have sold a lot of my finds over the years simply because I needed the spare cash--PERIOD! It wasn't my top choice to do so, but it helped me through some times where I had to have money and selling off some of my collection felt like the only way to achieve my goals at the time. Treasure is treasure--which means something of value. What is treasure if it can't help you out in financial binds? What is a pile of silver and gold rings worth just sitting in a drawer or can? Of course, I'd rather have kept all of my old and valuable finds--but the sale of these items helped me when I needed the help. Treasure is nothing if it can't help you out in life sometimes!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What someone does with their finds is their business. If someone sells every single item they recover, that is their right and it does not make them any less of a person or detectorist than the person who keeps everything they find..... Everyone of us enjoys this hobby for different reasons as is our right, and NO ONE should be attacked for it on either side..................

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
What someone does with their finds is their business. If someone sells every single item they recover, that is their right and it does not make them any less of a person or detectorist than the person who keeps everything they find..... Everyone of us enjoys this hobby for different reasons as is our right, and NO ONE should be attacked for it on either side..................
TH ... You are right on there...... Like i said i don't collect any thing..... But i know collectors that buy some of the things i find......... That is good for both of us.... They like to set it on a shelf and display it......... And i just want to get rid of it ... For myself it does me no good to display anything....... It just sets there and takes up space.......... And if some one ask me were is that find at you have .....I just tell them who bought it and they would be more than happy to show it to them......... And they are always happy to show it.......... And me i can't help it i am a $$$$$ lover..............But to put things stright ..... I do love my family first...........I had to say that about family first for i know some one will take that $$$$$ lover saying wrong..........

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
The problem with Ric Savage and his show is that they PURCHASE most of what they find for the show. I have this information from a participating relic shop!

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't sell anything or cash in on anything unless it was jewelry or modern clad. I will pass all of my historic items down to my daughter then she can do what she wants with it!

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Savage does this as a business, so every thing is sold to pay for overhead..... I sell some stuff (gold/silver) to buy more equipment (another detector, coil, pinpointer, etc). I have given stuff away to friends, I have donated too. Some stuff I keep and will never sell.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
So did anybody click the link I posted and check it out? Some of this stuff is crazy...is this proof that Frank Huguelet (aka Ric savage) got caught selling fake Civil War relics?
Well i guess that does put a different twist on .................... And has me thinking this guy savage is not on the up & up..........
Well i guess we all get fooled at one time or another..........But was there any proof or just hear say ??

Last edited:

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Did you all hear there is a new show coming on tv. It's called Canadian digger.

Last edited:

JasonFleck

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree completely with you. I have never sold a thing I have found and display much of it as well. I certainly do not consider displaying my artifacts the same as selling them for a buck. That is just ridiculous to compare the two. I enjoy the hobby, history and the appeal of possessing items you just do not see anymore. I have put out so much effort in finding and accumulating these relics that it does not even interest me to sell. Each piece I find represents a memory from a previous hunt and/or a shared moment with a hunting friend. Money??? I detect for the history, joy and passion of finding things from yesteryear. I have a job so I do not need to metal detect for profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread