Aug 25, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum SL
Primary Interest:
Other
Rhodium Plated Sterling Can Fool Magnet Test
(sorry about typos in heading)

Last night I was looking at an old necklace I though was fake silver. It was from my early days of silver searchingI when I thought anything attracted to an earth magnet was fake.

Later on I read that rhodium covered sterling silver, especially from Italy, is sometimes barely magnetic in nature.

So, I scratch test the "fake" necklace and it turns out to be sterling as marked. The necklace had been stowed back in a drawer for ages, and last night was the first time I had ran across it after having my acid testing kit.

If any of you have Italian silver you have cast off as fake due to a very weak magnetic draw, you may want to re-examine it with an acid testing kit.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Why would anyone cover silver with a cheaper metal? If you want a rhodium finish you would use a cheaper metal as the base. What type of magnet attracts metal other than iron? Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
K

kenscott

Aug 25, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum SL
Primary Interest:
Other
First, rhodium is not a cheaper metal. It's current spot price is $1150 making it more expensive than palladium and extremely more expensive than silver.

As for the magnetic part, I need to add something. From what I understand, the silver is first coated with a layer of nickel to protect it from the sulfuric acid in the rhodium bath. Herein lies the slight magnetism. Though nickel is not highly magnetic, it does have some magnetic properties.

The reason for coating silver or gold pieces, is to improve their look and protect them from scratches and the like. Some rhodium coated pieces have to be re-coated every two to ten years depending on use.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I really can't see the logic here. If someone went into a jewelry store, they are going to be looking for gold or silver items not rhodium. Also, why use silver as a hidden base instead of some cheaper metal. I have not found nickle to be even slightly magnetic. It would be far cheaper to rhodium plate a SS base. You would wind up with the same finished appearance.
Also on your pricing you are missing the fact that the rhodium is a thin plating, but the silver content is much greater. hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

OP
OP
K

kenscott

Aug 25, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum SL
Primary Interest:
Other
I can understand your points, but I have read that some manufacturers are rhodium plating their jewelry.

Personally, I am not saying it is the most logical move. Yet, they are doing it. Also, I did not think
nickel to be magnetic either, but I have read that it is slightly magnetic. I have also read that some sterling items
can be slightly magnetic due to the nickel content.

Also, I have necklaces that are just the tiniest bit attracted to an earth magnet but which test out as sterling on my acid test.

Google rhodium plating and magnetism.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Kenscott, I use to make jewelry many years ago, mostly enameling, and they had rhodium plated clips and links that were much cheaper than sterling. That is what I was going by. Also in physics class we were taught that only iron or iron alloys are magnetic. I have a small piece of nickel that I tester with a 20# pull shop magnet and got no attraction. That's what my statements are based on. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 5,511

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the reason for the rhodium plating over silver is that the jewelry won't tarnish as just plain silver will, and it tends to have a shinier finish than silver too.

OP
OP
K

kenscott

Aug 25, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum SL
Primary Interest:
Other
@Frank,

I did not think nickel was supposed to be magnetic either. I had been taught the same as you.
It turns out it is most commonly found with iron and is ferromagnetic at room temperature.

Nickel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@SusanMN,

Yes, those are the main reasons I have read as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions