Rather Ugly Encounter with a Property Owner (A Builder)

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With all due respect, folks from different cultures have differing views, and foreigners like my own grandfather are keenly aware of the risks of lawsuits, so a firm no means no. Returning just set the busy guy off. Getting mad at him makes us all look bad- he was just out doing his business. No need to return fire.

Let's get one thing straight here--I never would have gotten angry if the guy didn't lay into me first...I don't care what country he's from...rude is rude (universally), both of my late parent were from Norway and they never would have treated anyone like that. I don't see that anything I did makes anyone look bad except him. He was obviously an ignorant man.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to give him my card in case he was a reasonable man and would have a change of heart at some point. I felt he'd been abrupt and maybe I just caught him at a bad time. I had some relics in my pocket in case he struck up a conversation, but I did not go there to try and talk him into detecting there again. He verbally attacked me first in a very rude way. I live in this town, he's just someone who is here to try and make a quick buck. He knocked down a 150 year old house and cut down several trees that are that age as well. He's within the law there unfortunately, but once he got in my face, I got in his. I don't often avoid confrontation when it's provoked by another party :)

I'm not asking people to judge my actions here because to be quite honest I don't care if someone thinks I shouldn't have gone back--I thought it was a good idea and I'd do it again--I was just wondering what is the best response when someone says no because they are afraid of being sued just because I'm on their property. I didn't have a good answer for him--wish I did. But he seemed like an ignorant man anyway, so perhaps logic was irrelevant.

Understood :thumbsup: I still think you were wrong first :laughing7:
But as you said your not asking for judgement.

On your question
when someone says no because they are afraid of being sued
?
9 out of 10 it's an excuse that is easy to come up with these days, when grabbing at straws . it's easy to tell if they are full of crap. say you will sign a waver.
IF they don't even want to hear it, it was an excuse.

thanking them for their time, apologizing for bugging them, handing them a card
are all possibilities. that may calm them down, & give them reason to reconsider,
but there is no firm answer.

Other then Don't fire back if you can help it :laughing7:

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Understood :thumbsup: I still think you were wrong first :laughing7:

I just thought my post would entertain and possibly provoke a good healthy debate.

In fact I'm considering taking a poll asking people whether they think I should go back a THIRD time! :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This guy was busy trying to make money...time is money. Returning the second time in any situation like this is bound to set someone off. Especially if it's hot out! I think if you had just handed him a card at the first meeting and left it alone you would have been far better off. Best thing to do is just let it go as the owner is completely in the right. Whether you like it or not, it's his land. Period. Besides what is there to gain by yelling back?????:dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get peddlers at the door and i say im moving out and im not working and i aint buying .

I Fire back at Peddlers, Jehovah's & even my Insurance agent last time they showed up at my house to
try and get me to increase my Life insurance.
I do not tolerate Anyone knocking at my doors unless they have a Package for me, are a Friend,
neighbor,
look like Nicole Kidman 25 years ago, are in need of assistance. or all of the above.

I have no problem being an Arse to people who waste my time.

this is why I do not Knock at doors, to ask permission.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I Fire back at Peddlers, Jehovah's & even my Insurance agent last time they showed up at my house to
try and get me to increase my Life insurance.
I do not tolerate Anyone knocking at my doors unless they have a Package for me, are a Friend,
neighbor,
look like Nicole Kidman 20 years ago, are in need of assistance. or all of the above.

I have no problem being an Arse to people who waste my time.

this is why I do not Knock at doors, to ask permission.

If I put a Nicole Kidman wig on would you let me detect your yard Jeff?? :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Absolutely nothing, but it sure as heck felt good! :laughing7: BTW, it wasn't that hot out in the greater New York area today :)
I agree it can feel good, but it could have escalated much higher and this story could have had a much worse ending. :occasion14:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I put a Nicole Kidman wig on would you let me detect your yard Jeff?? :laughing7:

Just let me know when , So I can be busy away from home that day.
Especially if your wearing a Dress & Bending over :laughing9:

the neighbors may watch though

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Just let me know when , So I can be busy away from home that day.
Especially if your wearing a Dress & Bending over :laughing9:
LOL!

I bet it would end up on Youtube and go viral!!

junkhunter

Oct 4, 2010
If site is not posted.Then just try it when no one is around.I am not referring to this one.No means no.And most demo guys always say no.If you go into unposted place after hours no problem.Or you get run off with a warning.Everyone is worried about getting sued.Give people a chance to screw you and they will.

farmdump

Mar 5, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oneshot, You are the first person to put this situation in the best possible wording, "Don't return fire!"

crazydigger

Jan 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
I went to the local history museum in my town. I donated a few relics I found in my back yard. The care taker at the museum gave me a bunch of local names to call and assured me I'd get permission. Just a thought

John_Deere

Mar 7, 2013
Fredericksburg
Detector(s) used
Personal: Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Family: White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owner sounds like a butthead. Honestly, I'd probably have web less luck from the start, due to the stereotype of kids my age. I actually tried something like this once, to no avail. I asked a guy who lets us hunt on his property if I could try metal detecting very politely, and he gave me an earful on how I'm a stupid teenager and how I would destroy his crops and kill the history of his property. I wanted to detect in some woods about 2 acres from his actual farmland. And now he is hesitant to let me hunt there.

In short, people suck and we just gotta deal with it sometimes.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
LOL! I love the poll questions!!!

Do keep us posted on which option you choose! :laughing7:

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's too late for this property but you may consider doing what I did for future properties. I went online and found a legal form releasing property owners from liability for accidents and damages caused by visitors/users. I rewrote it quite a bit to fit my needs and made sure it was legally binding when signed. When I'm approaching someone for permission to look on a demo site or a large piece of property, I always offer to provide them with this form signed and dated. More than probably it would have to be notarized to be legally binding in court but just the form itself and my willingness to provide it has helped in some cases. If I get a chance I will upload my form and make it available to others who may want it. Otherwise, anytime someone tells me no I don't usually continue to pursue it. Good luck in the future and Happy hunting.

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One big no no is going back. Should handed him a card the first time. Remember there other yards out there to play with. Trust me I've been there before it sucks but later it pays off.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure how legally binding it is even if signed, but I wouldn't mind having a copy if it would put a property owner's mind at ease in bizzarre cases like this. It's not like I was going to sue this dolt anyway if I tripped and bruised my shin :laughing7:

It's too late for this property but you may consider doing what I did for future properties. I went online and found a legal form releasing property owners from liability for accidents and damages caused by visitors/users. I rewrote it quite a bit to fit my needs and made sure it was legally binding when signed. When I'm approaching someone for permission to look on a demo site or a large piece of property, I always offer to provide them with this form signed and dated. More than probably it would have to be notarized to be legally binding in court but just the form itself and my willingness to provide it has helped in some cases. If I get a chance I will upload my form and make it available to others who may want it. Otherwise, anytime someone tells me no I don't usually continue to pursue it. Good luck in the future and Happy hunting.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how legally binding it is even if signed, but I wouldn't mind having a copy if it would put a property owner's mind at ease in bizzarre cases like this. It's not like I was going to sue this dolt anyway if I tripped and bruised my shin :laughing7:

I know what you mean. I once got booted off of a large muddy field because the property owner had someone warn him about liability. (in this case the release of liability form didn't do me any good) I kind of scrached my head wondering how I was supposed to get hurt out there in the middle of a big 10 or 12 acre field of nice soft mud! LOL but I said okay, thanked him for letting me look up until then, shook his hand and left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread