Rather Ugly Encounter with a Property Owner (A Builder)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
- who knew? ....

And that's just the point. You're right: No one WOULD have known, before giving it a try. But there are no shortage of people here who would quickly say "you shouldn't have done that!" (and point to the results, as their proof-positive).

I'm not a pyschologist, except as it pertains to the subject of permission and metal detecting :) As for the career pscyhiatrist, you may be right about their general attitudes, personas, etc.... I read a statistic once, that ..... the hightest suicide rates "amongst professionals", that psychiatrists was near the top of the list (near or next to law enforcement, etc...). Amazing when you go to think that .... aren't these the very people who are supposed to be able to help you solve your problems, blah blah. So yes, most pyschiatrists are quacks.

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are to good of a hunter to let one no shut you down. Move on :thumbsup:.

Thank you and it has not shut me down in the least--I just posted the story because I thought it was a bit bizzarre and would spur a meaningful debate and it has in many ways. I also wanted to see how others handle the "I'll be responsible for you if you get hurt" lawsuit paranoia that I didn't have a good answer for at the time.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here is some light hearted humor,
[video=youtube;ajCYQL8ouqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ajCYQL8ouqw[/video]

OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe "Mean Mister Mustard" off of Abbey Road would have been more appropriate or even "Nowhere Man" off of Yellow Submarine! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erik in NJ

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't Bother Me, I'm a Loser :laughing7:

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you and it has not shut me down in the least--I just posted the story because I thought it was a bit bizzarre and would spur a meaningful debate and it has in many ways. I also wanted to see how others handle the "I'll be responsible for you if you get hurt" lawsuit paranoia that I didn't have a good answer for at the time.

It is bizarre the way he acted from the start but no telling the problems he may of had before with trespassers before you showed up with good intentions. Anyone that says it is better to ask for forgiveness then ask for permission is nuts. Not trying to be a "pundit" but as one that leases over 4000 acres in several tracts it is better to ask permission as you did. You are in such a good area with old history I would also covet and want to keep any places I had in the past. We all are losing hunting grounds every day it seems.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
.... All i can say is that if it was my land and i told you no................ Then i would see you standing across the street watching me............... I would tell my workers that i have to get rid of that guy ..... He might get dangerous or be a nut case ............ We have a bad enough name as it is with most people ........... They think we are jerks , idiots , you name it... Could be you shook him up watching him ... It would bother me....

Rogerv

Jan 25, 2013
Beltsville Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garret GTA-1000
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco)
AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hear! Hear! My sentiments exactly! I just went back to hand him a card that I did not have with me the first time. I didn't bother him while he was working--I stood off the property waiting to see if he would take a break. Heck, I had no intention of asking him for permission a second time unless the conversation naturally turned around. Anyway to those who say I didn't "manage" the situation correctly--sorry, I don't tolerate rudeness. The guy obviously has issues and his demeanor bears that out!

I have the same problem in the Washington DC area it seems that a lot of the foreigners have an attitude problem and act like they are talking down to you they are very rude especially in Costco they will run into you with their cart and then make a rude remark or just walk away with a smile or cut in front of you in line and dare you to say something. They come to our country and act like they own it. And they will rip you off in a heartbeat.

Dan-Pa.

Oct 30, 2010
Liability is getting to be a real problem with ambulance chasers advertising on TV.
Have a dictionary handy ...well look up NO and just move on....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread