Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parks being a separate conversation. But when it comes to private property with permission, I think most of us already do have metal detecting insurance of sorts, its called personal liability and comes with your homeowners or renters insurance. Some people don't realize this coverage extends beyond your home and covers you off your property in the event you damage someones property in a manner that does not involve a motor vehicle. At least from what I understand. lol.

I would think that in the more simple situations of detecting Neighbor Nancys lawn this would serve as proper piece of mind should the question arise. However for commercial properties Im not sure there would be enough coverage on most standard policies to qualify.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
To get permission to hunt on private,city or state lands...It makes it Much Easier for detectorists to get permission if Bonded and Insured. No Doubt.

It's also So Affordable to Be Bonded and Insured. I have it and believe that allows me into places that otherwise would be denied. I have it personally, not only because of metal detecting, but other types of hunting and fishing. If you have a business that requires you to be on others property it's unheard of not to be bonded/insured, for all concerned.

The cost typically can be as low as .75% or as high as 10% of the bond...For a personal bond the cost is usually depending on credit. You can buy it for a year at a time...So if you really want permission to Detect and dig places that are notorious for saying NO...Show them you're bonded/insured for $25k, 50k, 100k or $1m in case of any damage or injury that could happen to you or others. Even if it cost someone $100 for a year to put the city,state and private land owners at ease....That's nothing and will pay for itself quickly.

If you hunt farmland or woods and there's cattle, horses or other livestock around...landowners worry about holes left...The detectorist is in control of fillling their holes...But the land owner doesn't assume they won't be burdened with an animal with a broken leg. Same with any water lines. Or sued because someone got hurt on their property...Being B/I reassures them.

If by accident a sprinkler line, a cable or fiber optics got cut or nicked, the detectorist is covered and the property owner has No Worries. Nobody wants a $5k-$10k bill for repairing anything like that.

The state lands are always worried about reclamation.. If they know you're B/I... it shows them you're prepared to take any responsibility for that.

I hope that insurance is never legally required...We never know, but showing those who's lands we want to hunt on that not only are we protected, so are they, is a sign of respect and appreciation for the privilege of hunting...especially as affordable as it is.

Just My Opinion,

Kace

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why go to a real estate agent that doesn’t own anything?

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we should get insurance to play catch with our kids when we go to the park. You know someone could get hit with a ball or something.

Oh, also covered under your home owners or renters insurance liability policy. So, you're likely already covered.

Yeah, to the point of an overly litigious society, yes its disgusting. And such is protecting yourself.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunted all over Europe for nearly 20 years, never once heard of insurance for MDing, infact I never even heard of strict laws on MDing. Either you could or could not, but mostly could.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted all over Europe for nearly 20 years, never once heard of insurance for MDing, infact I never even heard of strict laws on MDing. Either you could or could not, but mostly could.

Great, right!? Thats kinda the point, we don't need it specifically for metal detecting in most cases. But, speaking to personal liability coverage, due to some people being jerks, its wise to be covered. What if two weeks from now that permission has somehow tracked you down and said you damaged his sprinkler head and wants $2500 to have it fixed? What if someones dog goes off on you at the beach and chews your $1500 detector in half, ruining it? You would want to file a claim, no? This is standard coverage with your homeowners or renters policy. (coverage may vary by state.)

But but, as its been stated above to have happened, if it can help to get some special permissions than I would be willing to have a little extra coverage if it can be provided for an affordable cost. And such is the reason I did a search for the topic and resurrected this thread because I've been presented with an opportunity where coverage is being requested.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Had two GPZs, two CTXs and some yaks stolen out of my boat house on the beach in Italy. My insurance was ready to cover them, but we recovered them before they had a chance. However the GPZs would not turn on, insurance rep had someone pick them up, someone who had no idea what they where doing, that someone said they could not be fixed. Insurance ordered me two new ones and gave me back my old ones, contacted Minelab, they said no worries and to send them in.

I am not the sort of person who worries about an affordable monetary cost.

However I do believe that integrity or a lack of can not be substituted with insurance. People these days look for back up protocols in situations they create them selves.

Just not that guy and see no need for it. I see need for tough laws against people who lack integrity; used to back in the day a good firm whoopin or hospitalization would cure dramatic situations, these days far too many want that fall back. This is from the generation that over medicated.

When it is all said and done, I either own every place I hunt or it is perfectly legal with no need to ask permission. If for some reason I where to damage something then I would step up, but I have been MDing for decades and yet to screw something up thus far, never even had someone make accusations against me.

I say if we can not have more integral core values as humans and treat people how we would like to be treated; then take away all these meds and falls back and start promoting suicide because troll is not the new fashion, its a cancer on society.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info never accured to me

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to get Metal Detecting Insurance but was refused because of my preexisting condition, pinpointer elbow.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Had two GPZs, two CTXs and some yaks stolen out of my boat house on the beach in Italy. My insurance was ready to cover them, but we recovered them before they had a chance. However the GPZs would not turn on, insurance rep had someone pick them up, someone who had no idea what they where doing, that someone said they could not be fixed. Insurance ordered me two new ones and gave me back my old ones, contacted Minelab, they said no worries and to send them in.

I am not the sort of person who worries about an affordable monetary cost.

However I do believe that integrity or a lack of can not be substituted with insurance. People these days look for back up protocols in situations they create them selves.

Just not that guy and see no need for it. I see need for tough laws against people who lack integrity; used to back in the day a good firm whoopin or hospitalization would cure dramatic situations, these days far too many want that fall back. This is from the generation that over medicated.

When it is all said and done, I either own every place I hunt or it is perfectly legal with no need to ask permission. If for some reason I where to damage something then I would step up, but I have been MDing for decades and yet to screw something up thus far, never even had someone make accusations against me.

I say if we can not have more integral core values as humans and treat people how we would like to be treated; then take away all these meds and falls back and start promoting suicide because troll is not the new fashion, its a cancer on society.

OJ...Everything you said comes from the position of being a stand up guy with the extra funds to fix anything you might damage because some contractor didn't bury the fiber optics cable 2' down and only went 8" down. Even though the contractor didn't do the job right, you would still be held responsible for the $5k-$10k repair if it was cut. That's just one example of something a detectorist could be blamed for.

I've never had any mishaps either, but I'd rather pay 1% of a bond to be B/I a year to cover myself and the owners on anything that 'could' happen because someone else took a shortcut on it. I have it separate from business and homeowners even though Obsessive is right about being covered with that insurance. If someone has any assets and an accident happens, being B/I is a buffer for anyone who tries to sue you personally...They've accepted it.

It also is a Huge benefit at a small cost to accessing places. I never felt I needed it...Until I realized that in the city proper, property owners in the last 10-15yrs are Really Leary of being sued. There's No Worries by them when personally being B/I. I truly believe it opens more doors on private, city and state lands as well by both parties being protected.

But I'm one of those that's big on insurance because so many either don't have insurance or only have minimum liability and I've been hit 3 times by those that carry minimum. I pay to have large Un and Under Insured too on my vehicles. I've never been in an accident that was my fault but I don't want to pay out of pocket when my insurance coverage is so cheap.

That's Just My Thoughts...Not everyone is stand up or have the funds to fix an accident that might happen or that they were accused of.

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions