Concealing Firearms While Detecting

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Of course we have all felt depressed. We are all adults! Lol! Mike, I'm not sure what your going through but brighter days are in your future if you choose to allow it to be. Dwelling on problems for months or years only hurts you. Life's too short for that...

sent from a potato...

No, no that's not what I'm saying, not dwelling on anything, just 25 years ago, was hospitalized for depression, and to this day in my state because of it I cannot legally own a gun..because I was depressed, everybody is depressed lol, why single me out ?

Mike

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have considered carrying but don't at this time. Personally, I would be more likely to carry in town where there are more people than in the woods.

Those of you who carry in the woods, why do you carry there? There shouldn't be any potential human threats there (if you're deep enough in the woods). I can understand why you would want to protect yourself against animal attacks. I'm not disagreeing with your choice, I just want to understand it.

There are lots of people in the woods with bad intentions. Growing pot is one of them. They her very upset when someone comes near...

sent from a potato...

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't carry in town often, but then I don't go to town often.. Always pack heat in the boonies...when I go shooting or sighting in my hunting rifles in the woods, I make sure to have a loaded gun on my hip when I check targets... You never know, some lowlife could be waiting in the brush at the rock pit for you to empty your gun and walk away from it! 10 miles from civilization some idiot may think he can get away with murder... Let me tell you, I ain't going down easy!

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
I have considered carrying but don't at this time. Personally, I would be more likely to carry in town where there are more people than in the woods.

Those of you who carry in the woods, why do you carry there? There shouldn't be any potential human threats there (if you're deep enough in the woods). I can understand why you would want to protect yourself against animal attacks. I'm not disagreeing with your choice, I just want to understand it.

I'll answer your question with my opinion...

Most violent crime attacks don't occur with 1,000 witness around. Most occur with little to know witnesses around. City or country, doesn't matter. Most criminals do not want to be caught immediately.

For instance, last few summers I hunted some old decayed parks/schools in Flint with a few buddies. I was packin', the 2 older gents with me didn't. There was literally NOBODY around. I'm talking 100 houses within eyesight of this Flint school...maybe 3 were lived in. Like 2 streets you could make a getaway on. All the other streets were piled so high with trash, couches, mattresses, garbagem etc, you could not possibly drive a car down it. Burned out houses, etc. Anyway, my buddy said...why would you ever feel the need to carry around here? Theres hardly anyone around.

I told him...that's exactly why I'm carrying...no witnesses either. We are the perfect targets. 2 older guys and fat kid...nobody around to help us. Sure enough...around 2pm there were 2 younger males who walked down the street past us. Then 10 minutes later they came back and there were 4 of them. Then they came back another 15 minutes and there were 6-7 of them. I told my buddies...yeah its time to go. Each time they passed us, they had a few more guys and were walking closer to us.

Now, I have no idea if they were out to cause trouble or not...but I had no intentions of sticking around to find out. Its not worth it to get a few coins. That was the last time I went "beeping" in Flint.

I don't usually carry beeping when I'm in my hometown, small town areas, or buddies houses, but in Urban areas or out in the middle of nowhere...I always carry.

This is my theory...

In Urban areas, there are more POS people out there...the higher the population of an area...the higher probability you eventually cross paths with a few bad seeds.

In the middle of nowhere/little population...less chance of someone else being able to help me if I needed it.

Therefore, I'll choose to do what I can to be able to defend myself.

Hope that never happens, but if so...at least I'll stand a fighting chance.

DH24

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
021.JPG All I pack is a sawed-off.The only protection I need "where I go anyway!".If it is not a bear and doesn't have a gun,I don't think it is gonna be very happy.I hardly see anybody except what lives in the woods,where there always a tree I can go up if need be .To me it would just be something else to haul through the woods.My pants are usually hanging off my ass enough as it is.But the way some people are today, I can see why allot of people do.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's my point TH, I believe we all have felt depressed, and for that reason alone I cannot legally carry, so much for rights.

Mike

BC, I have never sought help, there in lies the problem... There is nothing wrong with seeking help but when someone does it is a flag...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, on occasion. If I'm not, another in the group is. If I hear banjos, I'm shootin'!

If you have Pirana digging tools, you won't need a piece!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That's my point TH, I believe we all have felt depressed, and for that reason alone I cannot legally carry, so much for rights.

Mike

What do you mean you can't legally carry? Are you on meds? Either way thats bullsh1t, if you're a law abiding citizen without any felony convictions you have 2nd Amendment rights.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Mike

Gun board consulted with your psychiatrist and turned you down explaining it is because of an event in your mental treatment 25 years ago? No recent care under a psychiatrist for a mental condition? You can appeal but you know that. Defend your right by having a psychiatrist declare you suitable to carry if you are. When did you apply and when is your appeal? Multiple causes of depression as you know. Multiple reasons a person can not obtain a permit in Mi..its not a right here even though progress has been made in boards having to issue unless there is a serious reason not to.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gun board consulted with your psychiatrist and turned you down explaining it is because of an event in your mental treatment 25 years ago? No recent care under a psychiatrist for a mental condition? You can appeal but you know that. Defend your right by having a psychiatrist declare you suitable to carry if you are. When did you apply and when is your appeal? Multiple causes of depression as you know. Multiple reasons a person can not obtain a permit in Mi..its not a right here even though progress has been made in boards having to issue unless there is a serious reason not to.

I will never understand why good folks in the northern states allow their rights to be trampled by the government. Stand up and fight!

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't carry in town often, but then I don't go to town often.. Always pack heat in the boonies...when I go shooting or sighting in my hunting rifles in the woods, I make sure to have a loaded gun on my hip when I check targets... You never know, some lowlife could be waiting in the brush at the rock pit for you to empty your gun and walk away from it! 10 miles from civilization some idiot may think he can get away with murder... Let me tell you, I ain't going down easy!

I always do the same at the public shooting range. It's unsupervised and you never know if someone will go crazy there. In fact someone did go nuts and killed a couple of people there some years back.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a firearm in my vehicle at all times, unless it's on me when I'm out of the vehicle. When I'm in the house, I have a 12 gauge pump, a double barreled 20 gauge, and several other firearms available. I carried a small pistol in my hip pocket starting in 1976 until the mid 1980s when I was carrying deposits from stores that I worked for to the bank. Sometimes this was after dark and dropping the bags into a night deposit box that was in an area that a person could have hidden in easily. It was about 40 to 50 feet square, inside 4 walls, with a drivein ramp going from the street into it with a night deposit box on one wall. I never understood what the idea was for that set up. When going into this area, I always had the firearm on the seat beside me. After changing jobs, I still had one with me, either on me or in the vehicle. This was in Texas. There were several ideas about carrying like I did because I wasn't licensed to carry. One state patrolman told me that I should carry a shotgun with me. I asked him how to use a shotgun while driving if someone is trying to stop me and rob me. He just said that it was better as far as the law was concerned to carry a shotgun than a revolver. I asked him how much trouble would I get in if I continued to carry the revolver. He replied that it would depend on which officer stopped me. Most of the officers that I knew had no problem with my ways of carrying. I moved to Idaho in 2007. I lived here for a couple of years and decided to apply for a concealed weapons license, even though it's an open carry state. Now I can legally carry concealed or open. If I go to some of the local businesses, I (most time) leave the weapon in the vehicle unless it's after dark. I try to use common sense about when I need to carry. It's not hard to carry concealed or open; but not that easy either. One man that lives here always has a revolver or pistol attached to his belt everywhere you see him. That's his privilege. I just do it when I think it's necessary. Yes, I know someday I may wish that I had been like him. I don't hunt anymore; I just go out to a spot that I and other people can shoot their guns and enjoy themselves. If I see a 'critter' or two, I don't try to shoot them. If someone wants to do so, if it's just a wild thing, I can't tell them that they're wrong. I just haven't the hankering to do so anymore. As for shooting a brick or two, I don't have that much ammo. I hope in the future to have that much. Now I go out and shoot a hundred or so rounds and save the rest. I keep hoping to get enough ammo ahead to go back to an outdoor shooting range about 30 miles from where I live. I love to go there and spend most of a day shooting targets. Lotsa fun!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eureka!
I found a solution to my situation!
My wife will be obtaining a cpl, though a redhead strapped scares me lol.

Mike

Did you say strapped or stacked?

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Eureka!

Mike

Lol! I HOPE you mean strapped with a gun for a strap on...Lol! Just joking!

sent from a potato...

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Eureka!

Mike

Be careful what you wish for. If Ex-Mrs Boatlode had a gun when we were married, she would have used it on me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread