need advice fleamarkets

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do numerous flea markets and craft shows all year, but mostly in the winter. What exactly are you wanting to know?

empty_pockets

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take along a couple of friends to help watch LL-Klepto-featured.jpg , treat them to lunch and watch out for this person......

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
how should I display things, and what are tricks that people do that I should keep an eye out for, I'm more worried about people stealing from me than anything else as I'll be selling a lot of small gold and silver items

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
lol yeah maybe I can get another person to help out by offering them one of my tables so they can put out there own stuff, and just the both of us keep a close eye on everything

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glass case lock and key, one customer at a time or friends keeps an eye on them when handling items

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small items of value should be displayed in cases with the clasp or lock facing you. I've never had a need to actually use locks, a simple clasp is probably all you'll need depending on how spread out you're going to be.

PS: These cases can be made pretty cheaply and easy or you can buy commercial cases.

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
ok I wouldn't have thought about havering the clasp facing me thanks!

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
the fleamarket is a few weeks away so I should be able to make a couple display cases before then, I do have some bladed items that I'll be selling, should I post a sign stating that I'm not liable for any harm that people cuase themselves?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's generally how it works, though most vendors don't realize it. When you rent space you're basically liable for anything that happens in that space, sign or no sign. This is why a lot of market vendors spend the $35 a month or so for liability insurance, because you can't defend against stupid. The markets will have their own liability insurance but it will probably only come into play if the vendor fails to have it, and then of course the vendor is in a real messy situation. But this is only "if" something happens in your rented space. This is also why a lot of vendors arrange their space so all of the product is around the outside edges, so customers can't physically enter the rented space and then trip and fall or something. But honestly, I've sold all kinds of stuff, been around hundreds of vendors, and if you just use common sense you should have no problems, people don't come to the markets looking to get injured.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think outside the box display cases can be made real cheap. This was an old silverware box, bought a dozen of them at a flea market and converted them into small display boxes, then quickly sold six of them the next week for $25 - $30 each. I like the smaller ones because they are easy to transport and to store. Sometimes I'll put a rolled up towel under the back side so they lean forward so they are easier to see into. Keeping it simple keeps things simple.

case.jpg

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A razor knife to cut the opening, a few lengths of 3/8" x 3/8" glued to the insides to hold the plexiglass (offset to thickness of glass), trim on top to secure the glass in place. Then just a simple clasp. The one in the picture has some of that egg-foam with slots cut into it to hold rings, but watch the heat factor as it can get quite hot inside if left in the sun and the foam will melt to the rings. I also left the spoon rung in this one, makes for nice ring stands for some of those larger rings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
thank you for the tips and instructions I'll be making a few if those this week!

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
I started to put all of my small pendants and well anything small in those cardboard cellophane coin holders, they are perfect I can write prices and info on them plus it makes the smaller things harder to lose if they are dropped and people can still see both sides of what I'm selling and clearly see any markings and hallmarks

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
so my booth did ok but I was a lil disappointed, not a lot of people seemed interested in what I was selling, I'm thinking I should try a booth at a coin show instead, being that mostly what I'm selling is sterling silver and gold. most of what people where buying at this flea market seemed like projects thing that they wanted to restore and fix up

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
I'll have to do the cards! I think I'll give it another go in the fall when I won't have garage sells to compete with

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big black-faced German Shepherd that loves to make acquaintance by forcing his nose into a human crotch might just persuade the sticky hands group to move on elsewhere, lol. Get the better model that responds to "hold" by clamping down on nearest appendages too! Money well spent!

OP
OP
willis7

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
lol I thought about bring my dog with me I didn't know the rules so I didn't but I would like to

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions