Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One never knows just what one little question might bring on. This has been a bushel of fun. And informative, to some extent. I've enjoyed all the pros, cons, banter, etc.

If we could train our dogs to take a 'dump' before we take them for a walk, would that solve the problem? I'll have to answer my own question. No! I used to try, and sometime succeeded in getting my two to do that before taking them for a walk. I often wondered if the walking caused them to need to 'go' again, or if the different area caused them to want to do so to possibly 'mark' some territory. Both would quite often 'go' before we left our yard; but would 'go' again before we returned home. Gender a difference? No, one was male and one was female. Of course, the male was always marking his territory with his urine; but that's a different area of conversation.

Back to the original question: And we are the crazy ones? No, definitely we aren't. And the ones that cause the question to be asked are not the crazy ones either. But the fault and blame lies with them. They are the ones that caused this thread to get so large. No, I'm not saying all dog owners. I'm saying that the ones that abuse dog ownership are the ones that are to blame. When you let your dog do their 'business' in someone else's yard, a park, or anywhere except your own property, you are abusing the property, the owner of said property, and even your dog if you don't clean it up to the best of your ability.

It's not hard to put a couple of baggies into your pocket or purse for 'in case'. I use the old style, cheaper style that have the 'tuck and fold over' type openings. I can put my hand into one, pick up the dropping, pull the top part down off of my hand, and close it without getting my hand 'dirty'. It is so simple, even a 'caveman' can do it! lol Then I carry it until I get to a trash can or dumpster and drop it in.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was more info than I needed. :tongue3:

Dave Rishar

Silver Member
Mar 6, 2008
WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, XP Deus, Vallon Gizmo
As one of the "anti-poop" crowd, I would never expect a dog to poop on command. I've owned dogs before and I own cats now. The animals will poop when they're good and ready, and not a moment before. No reasonable person expects a pet to poop in accordance with the owner's schedule.

That having been said, when the pet in question drops a two-flush corn log that apparently came from a Shetland pony on property that doesn't belong to the owner, the polite thing for them to do would be to clean it up. This is particularly appropriate when it happens in a park that provides all of the necessary equipment and a waste receptacle (as ours do), or if it's on someone's front lawn. The drop site will not be sterile, true, but the ground is not sterile. I'm merely concerned about stepping in a deuce so high that it goes over the top of my shoe or causes me to slip on it; never mind if any children are playing in the area. Again, it's about removing a problem before it becomes someone else's problem and complying with the law. That's it.

And yes, the geese and squirrels and wildebeest and platypuses will drop logs and/or pellets all over the place, but there's not much that can be done about that. They have no owners and are protected by law. They're animals. I can't expect them to clean up after themselves, but I can certainly expect pet owners to clean up after their charges. That's kind of their job, really. I'd prefer it if the wildlife didn't crap up a location, but when the seagulls decide to have at it with my car...well, that's that. I have no recourse. It's the same as a lightning strike. Nobody owns lightning, but if someone did, I'd expect them to pick up after it. That's part of ownership. If the owner of something is not willing to clean up after that something, they should own something else that doesn't make a mess. We own what our pets do.

I'm not squeamish. I knock dogrockets around with the coil of whatever machine that I'm using on a regular basis, as there always seems to be a good tone under Mount Doom. (I use the coil and not my shoe because the coil gets cleaned more frequently.) It annoys me though, as it's an environmental hazard that's easily correctable and the lack of correction implies laziness and/or irresponsibility, which are two of my pet peeves.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've trained all 7 of my dogs to GO TO THE NEIGHBORS YARD and drop their loads... Don't want it in my main yard. Besides it's only 250 yds. away through the woods and they have a hell of a path after 20 years of use. Besides I own the "neighbors" home, barn and the 8 acres, nobody lives their now and it's up for sale. I love my dogs....!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread