Gods country gone to hell and turned into a garbage pile in less than 200 years

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing good that comes from this situation (either to the victims or the perpetrators).
Being wrongly convicted..that would be horrible. I'm not sure what can be done to eliminate that from ever happening.

I still have no problem having prisoners do public service while serving time.
In fact I feel there should be more of it with vocational training as a goal.

Arguing different aspects of the legal system..that's a conversation for a different day and probably a different forum.

I have no issue with prisoners being put to work on road gangs to help pay for their imprisonment.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no issue with prisoners being put to work on road gangs to help pay for their imprisonment.

In my area, pre-release inmates work at many fast food joints. Those prison buses are not dropping people off for breakfast at McD in the morning! From what i hear, picking up litter from highways is choice duty - fresh air, exercise, and they find paper money.

They are also used by gov'ts at all levels for janitorial type work, landscaping, painting, etc.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well anyone else would have to do it for free and as we can see, it doesnt get done except a random boy scout troop or a church group.
Get those prisoners out there and make them work.
They need to be useful for something.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great thread with some great advice... exercise personal responsibility in all aspects of life (reduce, reuse, recycle properly, etc.), contact decision-makers, make your feelings on pollution and litter known. How’s that saying go? “Do not accept the things that you cannot change. Rather, change the things that you cannot accept.” Something like that.

As far as inmate labor goes, I’m all for it when it comes to non-violent offenders. I’ve recruited inmate crews for my projects, instructed them, and worked side by side with them. They’re just people who (for the most part, excepting wrongly convicted folks) made poor choices or got caught doing something that may not be wrong, but is presently illegal. I think it’s a good way for them to pay off their “debt to society,” rather than just sitting around, getting 3 hots and a cot on the taxpayer dime. Of course I’m talking about the low risk short-timers... jail inmates... not the serial murderer, rapist, whatever... scary documentary type criminals. I’ve never been inside, but the inmates that I’ve spoken with were thrilled to get out and work, eager to learn, and were good laborers. They say it gives them a break from the boredom of the jail. I don’t know about the documentaries, but I’d say that it’s largely sensationalized for ratings.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a great thread with some great advice... exercise personal responsibility in all aspects of life (reduce, reuse, recycle properly, etc.), contact decision-makers, make your feelings on pollution and litter known. How’s that saying go? “Do not accept the things that you cannot change. Rather, change the things that you cannot accept.” Something like that.

As far as inmate labor goes, I’m all for it when it comes to non-violent offenders. I’ve recruited inmate crews for my projects, instructed them, and worked side by side with them. They’re just people who (for the most part, excepting wrongly convicted folks) made poor choices or got caught doing something that may not be wrong, but is presently illegal. I think it’s a good way for them to pay off their “debt to society,” rather than just sitting around, getting 3 hots and a cot on the taxpayer dime. Of course I’m talking about the low risk short-timers... jail inmates... not the serial murderer, rapist, whatever... scary documentary type criminals. I’ve never been inside, but the inmates that I’ve spoken with were thrilled to get out and work, eager to learn, new good laborers. They say it gives them a break from the boredom of the jail. I don’t know about the documentaries, but I’d say that it’s largely sensationalized for ratings.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Well said Kantuck!

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I run asphalt crews during the summer all over the state. We cant ever find enough help so we have to hire guys from the bottom of the barrel and most cant even drive, some have ankle bracelets for monitoring. Most have extensive schedules of court dates, parole stuff, pee tests, probation stuff and you cant keep up. Makes it real tough to travel for work.
We have mental cases, anger management problems, problem children/men, all the felons you can think of, even rapists.
I always get my own hotel room needless to say. I wouldnt ever room with any of them and my boss wouldnt expect me to. Not that I'd worry of being raped but just saying.

We had a guy the was in jail for throwing a bag of kittens in a fire at a party. He was also an escapee and was locked up for that, all by the age of 22 or so. Had another kid that went to prison fighting over a girl and shot another kid in the neck.
Most are from the bottom of the barrel but when you need bodies you need bodies and we need laborers.
If they arent 18 yr old kids straight out of high school then they are fresh out the penn.

A few of us are like the guards and we work them hard and keep an eye on things for the boss and he pays us well for it.
It can be done and I dont even get a cool horse and a shotgun.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run asphalt crews during the summer all over the state. We cant ever find enough help so we have to hire guys from the bottom of the barrel and most cant even drive, some have ankle bracelets for monitoring. Most have extensive schedules of court dates, parole stuff, pee tests, probation stuff and you cant keep up. Makes it real tough to travel for work.
We have mental cases, anger management problems, problem children/men, all the felons you can think of, even rapists.
I always get my own hotel room needless to say. I wouldnt ever room with any of them and my boss wouldnt expect me to. Not that I'd worry of being raped but just saying.

We had a guy the was in jail for throwing a bag of kittens in a fire at a party. He was also an escapee and was locked up for that, all by the age of 22 or so. Had another kid that went to prison fighting over a girl and shot another kid in the neck.
Most are from the bottom of the barrel but when you need bodies you need bodies and we need laborers.
If they arent 18 yr old kids straight out of high school then they are fresh out the penn.

A few of us are like the guards and we work them hard and keep an eye on things for the boss and he pays us well for it.
It can be done and I dont even get a cool horse and a shotgun.

Yikes! Sounds like a different situation. If your "bottom of the barrel" hires are out on parole, wearing monitors, heading to court and whatnot, that's a different situation. The guys that I and others were talking about are those that are currently serving short sentences in jail for stupid stuff... non-violent minor drug crimes, non-payment of child support, theft, et al. They head out in a van for the day and return to jail after the day's work is done. I'm sorry that you're forced to hire the dregs of society. I think I'd try sticking with the "straight out of high school" employees... even though turnover would be high.

The difference in your situation is that it's a for-profit business, so you can't get the crews that we were discussing. It would give your for-profit company a competitive advantage over other for-profits that couldn't get inmate crews, so you'd be able to underbid other contractors. We're able to get them because they're public works project, often undertaken in cooperation with the state or county government.

Have you tried using a staffing company? Write the job description, duties, travel, physical requirements, wages, and tell the staffing company that you won't accept felons who have violent crimes convictions on their records. Might be something to explore if you haven't done that already...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes it really SUCKS sometimes and it's a super high stress work environment, more than I've ever experienced by far.
I dont have a problem working with them because we are just there to do a job and we arent friends. I'm the boss and if they cant commit then they need to call their moms to come get them or I call the boss to come get his employee. They have that choice before we leave town. I'm there for a job and not to play games or to hear their prison drama or how tough they are.
I've never spent a day behind bars, never had a DUI or been arrested becuase ive always had a family to feed, or I was in the military or doing what I needed to do in life. I've never had the luxury of acting like a child as a grown man to that point at least.
I do act like a child often but not a criminal child.
Oftentimes they are guys that made stupid choices and they want to stay clean and straight and we dont have problems. Sometimes there are problems and TVs go flying out of hotel windows when they drink too much after work and the cops come. There are numerous hotels around Colorado where we are banned also.
Weve had needles dropped from bags in the back seats of work trucks, had customers catch dudes smoking weed on the jobsite, had a new guy doing meth in a portapotty at an airport.
As I mentioned, theres some stress haha. We work 60-70 hr weeks, lots of overtime, but I do get 4 months off paid so that's nice. I still wonder if it's worth it sometimes, dealing with all the children and their drama.

Other than that, those guys like hard work, being outside, using their hands and brains, feeling useful, seeing progress of their work and making money.
The prisoners dont make much but they get out and get to do something and it cleans up our roads anyway. It doesnt matter what they think, they are prisoners.
I wouldnt expect prison guards to bring out crews like I have to work with. That would be unreasonable!
There are enough non violent offenders to do practically anything. They may as well be doing something for the 150k it costs to mother them every year.

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes!!! Burning kittens!!! What happened to the crying Indian?
Moved from Florida to Maine (temporarily in my eyes, wife.., not so much) some 7 years ago. I used to go to the dump in FL to drop off "stuff" but they also allowed me to take things, including paints, chemicals, pesticides, etc. They would rather have them used up and not having new ones bought than to have to incinerate it all. Didn't cost me a dime dropping off or taking. Here in Maine, costs me $$$ to do it all. When we moved here I asked about the hazmat materials to get rid of and was told they don't have anything like that and would have to travel and pay to get rid of it at some distant location. I was shocked!!! Lots of poor people up here who can't afford doing that. Ergo, everything gets dumped in the woods. I don't understand how this state operates the way it does and can't see the repercussions of their decisions. I know all states have these issues but it has to be made easy for people reuse, recycle and/or dispose of. There are sooo many facets to this pollution problem that even a little Swedish girl yelling "How dare you!" gets drowned out.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prime example how a simple post of pollution got turned into the subject it has, we the people are responsible for the travesty we created not about who’s cleaning it up. Appreciate the opportunity to express your opinions which we are still aloud so far.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
not much point in talking about pollution without identifying the source, scope, impact, and specific responsibility

for the challenged: the responsibility is not with the prisoners of the state (unless they were the polluter)
and as usual, individuals will be targeted while 'industry' will get a pass

a good thread

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I agree.....Garbage everywhere but the Native American commercial is propaganda promoting plastic bottles and Coca Cola was also behind it.
They were making the transition from glass bottles (truly recyclable and reusable) to plastic crap and put out that commercial together with plastic industry.

Yes, there's scum in jail but in America, jails are a private industry. There's people in there who got convicted for having a cannabis roach in their pocket. Bad hippie!!!!
They want you in jail because it's more profit for the private "jail" corporation and more profit for the shareholders.

Lots of pigs in Canada! I used to think it had something to do with the IQ level of those who ate at McDonkeysmells because most of the litter on the side of the road was McDonald's bags.
Now, it's equally shared by Sh*t Horton's garbage as people line up in cars (idling and polluting) at the drive through to buy crappy coffee instead of making it at home.

20 years ago, my G.F. and I were visiting a Provincial park in B.C during the off season. The gates were closed and you had to park to walk in.
We were walking for awhile and I started to get emotional seeing all the garbage strewn on the side of the road and in the "pristine" rain forest.
I got my G.F. riled up and she helped me pick up all the garbage and I told her to pile it right in the middle of the road.
I was dragging tires, mattresses, car parts...you name it.
We were so passionate that we went for three days straight until the park police finally showed up. Dude in the truck was pissed!
Him and his partner asked what the hell we were doing and I yelled...."The pigs want to litter, then they can drive right through their own filth!"
Dude was threatening me with a littering fine and I freaked! "You can't charge me with littering as it was already here!
We're here visiting from Manitoba and are disgusted with the garbage in your provincial park and plan to write a letter to B.C.'s minister of the environment to complain."
He eased up and said "O.k. we won't charge you. Here's some garbage bags for you to start filling them.....
"EXCUSE ME? That's your effing job buddy! We did all the hard work, all you have to do is bag it and load it up."
He could see how pissed I was and both of them hung their heads down and started filling garbage bags. We left never to return again.
Small battle but it felt like a victory at the time.

Yeah, welcome to Canada....beautiful nature everywhere. Go see the nice waterfall only to find broken beer bottles, fishing garbage and graffiti sprayed on the rocks. :BangHead:

I still do that garbage in the road thing but now there's so many dog walkers leaving doggy doo on my boulevard that I scoop it up and leave it right in the middle of the sidewalk.
Every dog owner walks by hanging their head in shame. It wasn't me, I'm a good dog owner. I know, you're all good dog owners and yet there's dog crap everywhere!
Someone makes a mess and we all wallow in filth together.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaks volumes, human beings, dam human beings, it’s matter when, don’t matter the catastrophic event is already in progress and all in due time, actually even now and yesterday the cancerous events are taking place, enjoy your life folks, the quality of life is much shorter than you think, regardless of what you believe in. Dam shame, arrogance is for the weak

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes!!! Burning kittens!!! What happened to the crying Indian?
Moved from Florida to Maine (temporarily in my eyes, wife.., not so much) some 7 years ago. I used to go to the dump in FL to drop off "stuff" but they also allowed me to take things, including paints, chemicals, pesticides, etc. They would rather have them used up and not having new ones bought than to have to incinerate it all. Didn't cost me a dime dropping off or taking. Here in Maine, costs me $$$ to do it all. When we moved here I asked about the hazmat materials to get rid of and was told they don't have anything like that and would have to travel and pay to get rid of it at some distant location. I was shocked!!! Lots of poor people up here who can't afford doing that. Ergo, everything gets dumped in the woods. I don't understand how this state operates the way it does and can't see the repercussions of their decisions. I know all states have these issues but it has to be made easy for people reuse, recycle and/or dispose of. There are sooo many facets to this pollution problem that even a little Swedish girl yelling "How dare you!" gets drowned out.

My county division of solid waste has an old landfill (dump) and about a dozen "convenience centers" - essentially compactor sites with receptacles for different recyclables, including rigid plastics and metals. These convenience centers are well sited so just about any driving takes you past at least one. They publish a schedule at the start of the calendar year for specific for hazardous waste drop-offs and shredding events. It is well run and convenient with helpful and always polite workers. Its financed by a solid waste fee ($142 for 2019) on my annual property tax bill. Despite the convenience, some selfish, lazy idiots continue to dump their trash - including appliances along rural roads in otherwise beautiful places.

Last edited:

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only skimmed the thread so if this was already mentioned I apologize for repeating it...

Fun Fact:

The Indian in the commercial, "Iron Eyes Cody" wasn't an Indian at all. He played Indian roles in movies and portrayed himself as an Indian but he was an Italian American. His name was Espera de Corti.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go into a store, buy a cup of coffee. Sounds good. Single use cup lasts hundreds of years. Ditto on:
Lid
Stirstick
Stirstick wrapper
Cream container
Plastic wrapper for sweetcake

So something that is done literally millons of times a day creates a huge mountain of non biodegradable trash. One little innocent thing. BTW:
All these items are easily made out of biodegradable materials. We just don't give a damn.
Also all the history mentioned in this thread is useless...unless we learn from it.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
. . . . We just don't give a damn.
Also all the history mentioned in this thread is useless...unless we learn from it.

and here we have the crux of the issue; history
mankind, in general, is too stupid to learn from that which has happened over and over and . . . . .
look at war, look at currencies, look at religion, and on and on and . . . .

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only skimmed the thread so if this was already mentioned I apologize for repeating it...

Fun Fact:

The Indian in the commercial, "Iron Eyes Cody" wasn't an Indian at all. He played Indian roles in movies and portrayed himself as an Indian but he was an Italian American. His name was Espera de Corti.

EXACTLY!!! Plastic companies are nothing but Money hungry, Murderous Liars...
They have done ZERO good for this world. a small clean up in my eyes in not GOOD by any standard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread