TO ALL THE PROFESSIONAL HERES ONE FOR YOU!

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TO ALL THE PROFESSIONAL HERE'S ONE FOR YOU!

This one is a hard one for all the true PROFESSIONAL is this specimen,

A: Chalcopyrite ??
B: Iron pyrite ??
C: Gold ??
D: Mica ??
E: Hematite ??
Or
F: All of the above ??

And why did you come to this conclusion?

Answer:

Hint: Weight of specimen = 84.25 grams and it has the measurements of 2" 3/4 L - 2" 1/4 W

Good Luck!
Thanks!

IMG_20130208_162320.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
R

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
inherited them from someone who did some 45 years ago good guess any other guesses on the darker one?? and any one know what kinda price i could put on the quartz one?? thanks much appretiated. thanks r4real.

OP
OP
R

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi there does pm mean "payment method" or "preciouse metal" sorry lol i am new to the forum. thanks ryan.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In this case it means private message

Usually pmg would refer to "precious metals group" elements

OP
OP
R

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi there yes i would like to sell this piece is there an offer on the table

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not allowed to buy or advertise for sale on this particular forum. You need to PM (private message) anyone who might be interested. TTC

OP
OP
R

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
opps I did not know this but thanks for the info

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I don't have time to look at all of the posts that I should be looking at where people are actually asking for help. So my honest opinion is that this is a waste of time, sorry but that's it. Mining isn't a guessing game, we guessed the first time because it was posted, this time, no thanks, my time is needed elsewhere.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LP 13 you need to do a simple specific gravity test. It's not completely accurate all of the time but it will give you the idea of what you have for the ratio between the weight of gold over your host rock. You will have to look up your host rock and use the weight ration for that and the gold when doing the water test. Here is the basic link to the page that use to help. I will do a video on this for everyone soon enough as this comes up a lot. ¬¬ specific gravity test for gold nuggets
Basically you want to weigh the piece dry on your scale and then weigh it suspended in water. Depending on the size this can be done by zeroing your scale after adding the wire needed to hang your specimen off of the scale into some water. I use a coat hanger and bent it so it holds the specimen while touching nothing else with a pan of water below the scale to put the nugget into. It's an easy test and if you need more info, send me a pm.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's an ok video that shows the test. Both of you need to do this to weigh your gold.
For 4real ¬¬ I would cut a lot of the quarts off of that specimen or at least put a flat surface on the bottom so it will stand like a volcano. There's not much gold in that quartz, so do the test, put down the, results of the test in your add and sell it on ebay. You get a fair price there for what you are selling. As is right now I wouldn't consider buying it because it looks like it's mostly quarts and quite possibly a man made nugget. Specimen nuggets need to look like good specimens and this one doesn't. It's not pretty, it doesn't have a figure like a horse or anything naturally made into it and it's just not appealing to the eye. It's obviously mixed with some other metal that will also devaluate it more. I would melt this one down and take the gold out of it and go from there. Someone may buy it as a specimen but probably not for what you might think that it's worth. You may have an ounce of gold there but there's only one way to tell.

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Reed. I am familiar with a specific gravity test, however in this situation I can't see how I can accomplish it. The total amount of gold is around 8 to 10 grams. The pieces are mostly largish flakes. Some of them may appear to be solid gold flakes but in fact may be gold entirely covering a smaller piece of rock inside. There are some larger pieces around 1/4" too. So unless I can get an accurate volume measurement (this is less than 1 cm. cu. total) and know what % is rock and what % is gold, I'm not seeing how I can use a simple specific gravity test. If it was solid gold it would be simple. Furthermore the larger pieces of rock may additionally have gold inside them, not just on the outside. Of course I could crush it all up and get rid of the rock, but in this case I would prefer not to. But maybe there isn't any other way.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea it would probably not be accurate enough for the small pieces but you could do them all at once just to see what it comes up with as a total; but you need to use the weight value for the host rock if you know what it is. You could just put them in a glass case and call it good but I would have to float them all at least once to see what I have :)

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would cut it like this just below the gold. But take a close look at it because to me the gold looks like it was possibly added to the quartz to make a profit. It may just peel off with a little heat added to it.

View attachment 744901

This way It stands tall, looks a lot better, and is more salable.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reed, not to say the gold in this case was added or not, I would not even know how to tell the difference. But the fact is many people have tried to pawn off a specimen as authentic when it is proven to be a fake. It takes a proffesional eye to identify a fake. Again, I am NOT calling this a fake, just stating it has been tried before. TTC

H-Town Rick

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2013
Spring, Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 with 10"x12" butterfly coil. Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Quartz with Gold stuck on it

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Since we're all stumped I say it's a new form of rock called " Confusedofwhosrite " mixed with some "Werestumpednotrite" so please tell us what it is seeing as this is a test we all need to know . HH , Woodstock

OP
OP
R

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well thanks for playing but u all lose, llol you guys will not see anything like this ever again so enjoy,,,This specimen is actually A PLATINUM, PALLADIUM, high purity GOLD nugget!! The three beauties all in WOW!!!I will post up some pictures of this absolute Nation Shocker, Super Rare and Super expensive!!!!! THESE pictures have never been sceen EVER. thanks r4real

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread