TO ALL THE PROFESSIONAL HERES ONE FOR YOU!

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TO ALL THE PROFESSIONAL HERE'S ONE FOR YOU!

This one is a hard one for all the true PROFESSIONAL is this specimen,

A: Chalcopyrite ??
B: Iron pyrite ??
C: Gold ??
D: Mica ??
E: Hematite ??
Or
F: All of the above ??

And why did you come to this conclusion?

Answer:

Hint: Weight of specimen = 84.25 grams and it has the measurements of 2" 3/4 L - 2" 1/4 W

Good Luck!
Thanks!

IMG_20130208_162320.jpg

Upvote 1

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't you guys smell it yet? Look good. In post #62, he says these pics are never before uploaded. The top pic and the two below it (same color) ARE THE SAME ROCK! And that particular one is the same one as the left pic in post #61. I cannot tell if the right pick in post #61 is the same rock as the left pick. Probably the back side of the left pic. Rotate the picks in post #62. You will see those three and the left rock in post #61 are all the same. Is your smell coming back yet? TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also note... he calls the rock 73.86 in post #61.... and 78.88 in post #62. Ouch! My nose hurts! TTC

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also note... he calls the rock 73.86 in post #61.... and 78.88 in post #62. Ouch! My nose hurts! TTC

Yeah I caught that too. Plus the way he's acting makes me think he's like 16 and just watched Gold Rush. :D

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I caught that too. Plus the way he's acting makes me think he's like 16 and just watched Gold Rush. :D
He sounds just like another ATTEMPT at a salespitch that we had a few months ago but using a different name. Same style. Same caps. NEVER BEFORE SEEN kind of stuff. I just hope no one here gets burned. TTC

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figured this was all B.S from the get-go. I met lots of people with a black rock before that thought they were super valuable meteorites too and kept them in a safe :laughing7:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just think there are too many inconsistencies in some of his posts. The rock's weight is one. It's mineral make up is another. He seems to be sure it is worth tens of thousands yet he says it has never been assayed. How can he say it is mostly platinum..... for the same reason? I think he is pulling our chain to get a rise. TTC

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep....just a chunk of Pyrite and not even that nice of one.

OP
OP
R

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well how about all post up all my specimens then we will see whos laughing k bud!!!! the platinum palladium gold nugget, I have two of and the gold in quartz I have two of as well so stay tooned there terry yer gunnnnna wanna see this i guess right, And my gemologist in winnipeg confirmed exactly what they are and he sent me to the university to get an assey done........ so we know whats in it we just dont know how much of what is in it......... lol pyrite gimme a break !! thanks r4real When i showed the jeweller he asked if i inherited the mine too lol!! cha ching

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well how about all post up all my specimens then we will see whos laughing k bud!!!! the platinum palladium gold nugget, I have two of and the gold in quartz I have two of as well so stay tooned there terry yer gunnnnna wanna see this i guess right, And my gemologist in winnipeg confirmed exactly what they are and he sent me to the university to get an assey done........ so we know whats in it we just dont know how much of what is in it......... lol pyrite gimme a break !! thanks r4real When i showed the jeweller he asked if i inherited the mine too lol!! cha ching
Are you saying the rock in post #61 is different than the one in the top picks of post #62? Tell me that, mr cha ching. TTC

OP
OP
R

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It`s suppto be 78,88 not 73,86 my fault, and ya they are the same

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Still all a bunch of BS. No matter how you slice it. The most valuable specimen you would have IF it was real and ALL platinum would put the value at somewhere in the ballpark of $4000. So whoever told you $80,000 ... well go take advantage of that sucker immediately! :laughing7:

Your story changes at will. You are forgetting to read your own posts and replies. I asked you if you had an assay done and you said that you had not. No assay no value. Unless you can tell what metals are which by taste ;(

and this whole 'identify by picture' thing is ridiculous to begin with ... here's my point...
Which one of these pictures is a palladium nugget ;(

image1.jpg image2.jpg image3.jpg

So which one is palladium ... with the exception of gold and copper, all other metals are too similar in most cases to differentiate by looks, since all of them are essentially silver-white in color.

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Keep dreaming. :D

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i never seen pyrite get that yellow
go to Google Images and search "pyrite" and then "chalcopyrite". Little brother to his pictures there.

Well to put you all out of your mystery ... the above nuggets are platinum, ruthenium and nickel. There is no palladium there. Palladium looks the same. There is no way just by looking that anyone can differentiate any metals really, except gold and copper. Oh, some look a bit more white than others, but anyone would be hard pressed if all the metals in the periodic table were put in little cubes and placed in front of them to look at, without touching, and say, identify the magnesium lump.

So the games this guy is playing is just a game. Use it for entertainment purposes only is my suggestion ;)

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An additional note here: Gold does not have faceted, sharp, layered aspects to it in most cases. The photos he has provided have distinct layering and sharp edges and is very 'glittery'. Don't forget the old saying "Everything that glitters is not gold". Just on those bases alone I think we could all put his samples being bonafide gold and other precious metal specimens to rest. Anyone else concur?

OP
OP
R

r4real

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so how much of what metals are in those specimens exactly? Platinum=? ruthenium=? nickel=? thanks r4real

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TO ALL THE PROFESSIONAL HERE'S ONE FOR YOU!

r4real,

I chose A...Chalcopyrite.

Here's why : I have an old copy of Simon & Schuster's Guide To ROCKS AND MINERALS, copyright 1977, 1978, ISBN 0-671-24417-5. Beginning on page 18 Chalcopyrite (Copper Iron Sulfide) and looking at the last color photo at the top of this section on the next page, this sample of a "Massive Chalcopyrite" looks identical to A in my opinion.

If A is correct, then the winner is TerryC, since he was the first to post this answer !

Can you give us the correct answer now ? Come on now. :wink: We have all been patiently waiting ! :laughing7:

ToddB64

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions