Big Boulders - vigin ground?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Big Boulders - vigin ground?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Big Boulders - vigin ground?

When I dredged on SF Yuba river in Ca., I fantazised at night about blowing up the ten-15 ton boulders that were randomly scattered
    along the river. I just knew there would be ounces of virgin gold underneath. Has anybody actually tried this, or spent weeks trying
    to winch these monsters?
    Alex Burke and gold tramp like this.

us
    Jul 2012
    colfax, ca
    Garrett gtax 400
    180 times
    Prospecting
    No, but I've had nightmares about getting trapped under one of the BIG ones upstream from the bridge at mineral bar...goosebumps thinkin about it right now

us
    Sniper

Aug 2012
    Redding
    Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
    1575 times
    Prospecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Have you thought about using and inflatable bladder along with a winch?
    Fullpan, TerryC and midnightmoon like this.
    Check out my Gold Sniping video's. http://www.youtube.com/CrainRacing

Head in the water, butt in the air.
    Now I know why ducks do it!
    Underwater Sniper n00b

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    3754 times
    Yup moved lots of them, broken, blasted, ecobusted, jacked up, good gold.
    Fullpan likes this.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    When you say ecobusted - you mean the expanding "foam"? And which method, hypothetically, do you prefer?

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I have winched a bunch of em,but had one that there was no way a winch would move and it was on private property so had the land owner bring down his back hoe.We tried moving it with that....didnt happen.We decided to chain brace it back as well as we could and likely against my better judgement,I proceeded to dredge out out it(if it did go,it would have been quick,I wouldnt feel a thing...wouldnt have to worry about drowning )I had been getting good gold all the way to it and behind it so I just knew the glory hole was beneath.....long story short as I got through the over burden surrounding it,I exposed rocks and oak wook timbers still preserved and holding that rock in place!What really amazed me was that in the 150 years or so since that had been done,the gravels had became hard pack again,need less to say there were no easter egg sized nuggets....actually was very little even flood gold
    Last edited by kuger; Mar 28, 2013 at 01:12 PM.
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    Kuger - I've heard several stories like that. Its amazing what the old guys accomplished without gasoline powered equipment! Was your boulder in deep
    water or shallow? If in deep water, you think they "turned out the river" to get to it?
    hawkeye39 likes this.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2764 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullpan View Post
    Kuger - I've heard several stories like that. Its amazing what the old guys accomplished without gasoline powered equipment! Was your boulder in deep
    water or shallow? If in deep water, you think they "turned out the river" to get to it?
    ...that was the other oddity Fullpan.....that was a 20' deep hole(to bed rock)and was in a part of the river I didnt think...or there was no evidence of them turning the river,but must have?
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

us
    This isn't a hobby! It's hard work!

Feb 2013
    Golden Valley Arid-Zona
    Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
    6155 times
    Prospecting/Mining and protecting our rights to do so.
    Years ago I read an article in the GPAA mag that told of a couple of guys dredging up in that neck of the woods. The came to a waterfall and knowing how gold likes to settle into glory holes in places like that they decided they just had to gt to the bottom of it and see what was there. Of course there were some monster boulders at the base of the fall that they couldn't winch out of the way, pry up, or move in the usual manners. To solve their problem they hit on the idea of sinking 55 gallon drums into the water, lashing them to the boulders and then pumping them full of air again. That did the trick and their efforts were rewarded with a major glory hole that besides the usual small nuggets and flakes held a 13+ oz nugget that was shaped like of all things a Banana! So it can pay to do all that work and to exercise the brain by thinking outside the box. (or in this case drum)

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    3754 times
    Yes, it's a powder. Guys prefer things that go BOOM

us
    Mar 2011
    214 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullpan View Post
    When I dredged on SF Yuba river in Ca.,
    You mean you used your portable filtration unit ?

Camping at my claim one night the miners from the claim below mine came by for a visit. He said they had been working for several days moving a Volkswagen bug sized boulder and did well using their portable filtration unit on the material under it. They asked how I did. I said pretty good. I was proud of the gold I had found using my portable filtration unit They then proceded to show me several vials of the gold they recovered. Needless to say, I didn't bother showing them my gold.
    Fullpan and midnightmoon like this.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    great video - thanks, Reed.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_Pic0009.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	526.5 KB 
ID:	767555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan_Pic0011.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	659.8 KB 
ID:	767556
    That was my portable filtration unit - calnatv in 1st pic. 2nd pic, my better-half with gold-hiding boulder in background. There are about ten of those
    monsters in the vicinity. She's standing about ten ft from river just a few ft above water-line and bedrock.
    Last edited by Fullpan; Mar 29, 2013 at 01:55 AM.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    To explain a little more about 2nd pic - Found my best gold/quartz nugget ever about 25 ft from where Joyce is standing. This was the outside bend of river
    The boulders seemed to have fallen from mountain above long ago. There was evidence of coyote-holin between boulders although I couldn't tell how old.
    And finally, jabbing my suction nozzle blindly under the boulder I could reach from the river, I recovered almost a 1/4 ounce of "black gold" (covered with a
    thin crust of black mineral). So, wondering what others would do in this situation?
    gold tramp likes this.

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6675 times
    Nuttn' to it with a snatch block and a 20 ton winch. Just like a reverse puzzle,remove a piece at a time and good to go. Many MANY pounds done this way in 92 1 1/2 miles up from Purdone crossing,which is where this pic is from,at the bridge and not site upstream. Water depth is your predicating matter. At Drivers flats boulders the size of busses were moved with 2 massive air bags, a 8, 6 and a 4 barrel floating winches and over a million recovered by Ray and the boyz from my old hole I turned them onto to. Firemen,rays son and darkie,and ray too all dead now though,IRS drilled SD box at Gibraltor savings in Auburn and got a half million...aaaa yes dayzs of old when miners were bold,NOT like todays that's fer sure-John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-25-2011 01;08;27PM.JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	365.4 KB 
ID:	768109  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links