Upvote 0

419GottaMinute

Jul 1, 2012
colfax, ca
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 400
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, but I've had nightmares about getting trapped under one of the BIG ones upstream from the bridge at mineral bar...goosebumps thinkin about it right now

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you thought about using and inflatable bladder along with a winch?

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say ecobusted - you mean the expanding "foam"? And which method, hypothetically, do you prefer?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have winched a bunch of em,but had one that there was no way a winch would move and it was on private property so had the land owner bring down his back hoe.We tried moving it with that....didnt happen.We decided to chain brace it back as well as we could and likely against my better judgement,I proceeded to dredge out out it(if it did go,it would have been quick,I wouldnt feel a thing...wouldnt have to worry about drowning :laughing7:)I had been getting good gold all the way to it and behind it so I just knew the glory hole was beneath.....long story short as I got through the over burden surrounding it,I exposed rocks and oak wook timbers still preserved and holding that rock in place!What really amazed me was that in the 150 years or so since that had been done,the gravels had became hard pack again,need less to say there were no easter egg sized nuggets....actually was very little even flood gold

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger - I've heard several stories like that. Its amazing what the old guys accomplished without gasoline powered equipment! Was your boulder in deep
water or shallow? If in deep water, you think they "turned out the river" to get to it?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger - I've heard several stories like that. Its amazing what the old guys accomplished without gasoline powered equipment! Was your boulder in deep
water or shallow? If in deep water, you think they "turned out the river" to get to it?

...that was the other oddity Fullpan.....that was a 20' deep hole(to bed rock)and was in a part of the river I didnt think...or there was no evidence of them turning the river,but must have?

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Years ago I read an article in the GPAA mag that told of a couple of guys dredging up in that neck of the woods. The came to a waterfall and knowing how gold likes to settle into glory holes in places like that they decided they just had to gt to the bottom of it and see what was there. Of course there were some monster boulders at the base of the fall that they couldn't winch out of the way, pry up, or move in the usual manners. To solve their problem they hit on the idea of sinking 55 gallon drums into the water, lashing them to the boulders and then pumping them full of air again. That did the trick and their efforts were rewarded with a major glory hole that besides the usual small nuggets and flakes held a 13+ oz nugget that was shaped like of all things a Banana! So it can pay to do all that work and to exercise the brain by thinking outside the box. (or in this case drum)

calnatv

Mar 19, 2011
When I dredged on SF Yuba river in Ca.,

You mean you used your portable filtration unit ?

Camping at my claim one night the miners from the claim below mine came by for a visit. He said they had been working for several days moving a Volkswagen bug sized boulder and did well using their portable filtration unit on the material under it. They asked how I did. I said pretty good. I was proud of the gold I had found using my portable filtration unit They then proceded to show me several vials of the gold they recovered. Needless to say, I didn't bother showing them my gold.

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scan_Pic0009.jpg Scan_Pic0011.jpg
That was my portable filtration unit - calnatv in 1st pic. :thumbsup: 2nd pic, my better-half with gold-hiding boulder in background. There are about ten of those
monsters in the vicinity. She's standing about ten ft from river just a few ft above water-line and bedrock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To explain a little more about 2nd pic - Found my best gold/quartz nugget ever about 25 ft from where Joyce is standing. This was the outside bend of river
The boulders seemed to have fallen from mountain above long ago. There was evidence of coyote-holin between boulders although I couldn't tell how old.
And finally, jabbing my suction nozzle blindly under the boulder I could reach from the river, I recovered almost a 1/4 ounce of "black gold" (covered with a
thin crust of black mineral). So, wondering what others would do in this situation?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nuttn' to it with a snatch block and a 20 ton winch. Just like a reverse puzzle,remove a piece at a time and good to go. Many MANY pounds done this way in 92 1 1/2 miles up from Purdone crossing,which is where this pic is from,at the bridge and not site upstream. Water depth is your predicating matter. At Drivers flats boulders the size of busses were moved with 2 massive air bags, a 8, 6 and a 4 barrel floating winches and over a million recovered by Ray and the boyz from my old hole I turned them onto to. Firemen,rays son and darkie,and ray too all dead now though,IRS drilled SD box at Gibraltor savings in Auburn and got a half million...aaaa yes dayzs of old when miners were bold,NOT like todays that's fer sure-John

Attachments

• 03-25-2011 01;08;27PM.JPG
    03-25-2011 01;08;27PM.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 186

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Years ago I read an article in the GPAA mag that told of a couple of guys dredging up in that neck of the woods. The came to a waterfall and knowing how gold likes to settle into glory holes in places like that they decided they just had to gt to the bottom of it and see what was there. Of course there were some monster boulders at the base of the fall that they couldn't winch out of the way, pry up, or move in the usual manners. To solve their problem they hit on the idea of sinking 55 gallon drums into the water, lashing them to the boulders and then pumping them full of air again. That did the trick and their efforts were rewarded with a major glory hole that besides the usual small nuggets and flakes held a 13+ oz nugget that was shaped like of all things a Banana! So it can pay to do all that work and to exercise the brain by thinking outside the box. (or in this case drum)

goldenIrishman ... digging through my stuff here ... found it!

A vendor sent along some interesting copies of his clippings with a purchase last year. Gotta love people like that!

Reader's Digest, Sept 1994, "Is There Gold In Your Backyard?" tells the story; may be the one you mentioned. :icon_scratch:

It was George Massie himself. And of course, he was dredging. Anyhow, there was a truck-sized boulder in the way, once he floated it out, "... nestled under the rock were 800 ounces of gold nuggets worth more than $600,000."

$600,000 in 1994. I would do the math and figure out today's price ... but being Easter weekend I am already sick to my stomach with Peeps and Snicker eggs.:laughing7:

It is out there! :icon_thumleft: I wish each and everyone of you a glory hole in this lifetime. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldenIrishman ... digging through my stuff here ... found it!

A vendor sent along some interesting copies of his clippings with a purchase last year. Gotta love people like that!

Reader's Digest, Sept 1994, "Is There Gold In Your Backyard?" tells the story; may be the one you mentioned. :icon_scratch:

It was George Massie himself. And of course, he was dredging. Anyhow, there was a truck-sized boulder in the way, once he floated it out, "... nestled under the rock were 800 ounces of gold nuggets worth more than $600,000."

$600,000 in 1994. I would do the math and figure out today's price ... but being Easter weekend I am already sick to my stomach with Peeps and Snicker eggs.:laughing7:

It is out there! :icon_thumleft: I wish each and everyone of you a glory hole in this lifetime. :thumbsup:
I have swam n that hole,and dredged the area.That situation was a perfect storm so to speak....the old timers couldnt divert the river there,and the hole was deep enough they couldnt pump it out,so it never was worked.Also the boulders were in a way that the gold was allowed to pocket and not blown out which is common with waterfalls.....very few of many I have dredged ever paid much right at the bottom

OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger - same way with potholes. Very few pay off. Unless there is difficult hardpack/cemented material to punch thru, I assume they have either been cleaned out or just not "gold-catchers".

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
CALNATV I wonder how much of that gold they found was used to offset the time equimpment ect ect plus 2 men splitting the total I wouldn't be suprised if your profit margin and theirs were in the same ball park maybe??

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger - same way with potholes. Very few pay off. Unless there is difficult hardpack/cemented material to punch thru, I assume they have either been cleaned out or just not "gold-catchers".
FP,yep,as you know most of those are barren.....but.........a buddy pulled a 2 lb nugget from one just a few years ago!!!There is a local creek here that is just loaded with them,and when we were kids we just knew that millions were in the bottoms of em,some so deep you had to just about stand on your head to get the cobbles out.....very few had even a few dollars in them.I never have fully understood why,I mean gold goes in,its not coming out?I always figured it has something to do with the very way they are formed.A pebble in a vortex basically through millions of years bores the hole,I guess a nugget would be worn to dust in the same way.You still would think that at least some "new",nuggets would hold in em?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions