Move boulders with gear that can be packed in.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been thinking about what I will need to move boulders, or rocks with what I can carry in a pack. However, the pack also has other tools. Pans, (2) 2.5 gal. buckets, either a 24" Bazooka sniper or a Keene A51a fitted with Gold hog mats. A 6' sling. A small strap wratchet 900lb come along. 4 small metal pulleys. A 1" tiedown strap. 50' of 3/8" nylon braided rope. A Gad bar, a rock hammer, and assorted crevacing tools and a metal detector. Food and a gallon of water.
I am interested in Technique. I saw a technique where the strap was tightened around s boulder, then the come along went over the top to the far side. It pulled the boulder and rolled it. Of course, building a cobble ramp, digging under etc all can help. I saw a technique that uses a rope and a stick. Using a loop around a boulder to a tree. One uses the stick to "wind" the rope in the middle. Surpisingly, this method seemed to have the best torque ratio I've ever seen. I am asking for practical ways to use this equipment to leverage my equipment to move boulders in a stream. I also read the New 49rs piece on this. They recomended finding the gold line and making sure not to roll the boulder right into the gold. Well, I cant seem to find a thread on this here. Maybe there is one. Ok, so what can one do with this equipment? Thanks!

Upvote 0

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great thread.

See a few friends here like Reed Lukens and MinerRick. Having dredged for decades moving boulders is key to productivity and getting gold. MinerRick showed me two big nuggets found tucked under a boulder, and I mean big. We dug all around it and only got color. When big nuggets move (only in big floods) boulders also move and when the flood slows to point boulders start slowly dragging, nuggets stop in the slow water the boulder creates around and especially under them.

But nothing slows dredging down like boulders. I am part of SierraBlaster which was initially developed just for this issue and greatly speeds up boulder moving by making them small enough to roll or small enough that your equipment whatever it is can move them. Only if I have a SierraBlaster 30 years ago!! Remember would get color then pickups, then bigger pickups right next to a 5'x10' boulder on Kanaka then have to stop, knowing nuggets were under it . Could have easily sliced and diced those huge boulders with SierraBlaster in short order. You can make things small enough so a winch is not necessary.

On another issue discussed a lot here, how do you grab boulders? Cargo nets are pretty good, but still hard to grab, cables and chains are notorious for slipping off, sometime 5 times on one boulder.

After trying many methods, the only really reliable way observed MinerRick do first. What MinerRick does is bolt them, it works like a charm, and does not take long and it never slips. And you can bolt on top, no needed to get under it. It's the way use since learned it from Rick. He may have a video of it he can post.

AND an even faster way is using a Jeep instead of a winch. I do extreme 4WDing for both fun and gold mining. And get to a remote claim that way. So can show you that method with a new video SierraBlaster has put out, its on front page here(deleted by mod for rule violation, non supporting vendor.) In this case was demoing removing a big granite boulder from under the restaurant deck of a Sierra ski resort that had foiled other methods, DexPan had been used with zero results on same boulder. With SierraBlaster we drill 10mm just a tad more than 3/8". Rock bolts whether Tapcon or Titan come in many sizes, but we found drilling 10mm (BTW a decent SDS drill can be had doe $75 or so at HF) then wrenching in 3/8" bolt is much faster than drill 3/8" and use 3/8", go in so much easier and none pulled out.

So that is me in camo there and you can see how fast the "reduced" size boulders pulled out of a deep pit. Nothing beats this for speed. If you need to pull 1,000 pound or 2 ton boulders, just go bigger on bolt such a 1/2" or 5/8" and the Titans are stronger. If the boulder is underwater you can still do this. First SierraBlaster is waterproof so you reduce the size of obstacle, and you can buy up to 40" long 10mm drills on SB site, serious about that. That is why we had them created so people can drill underwater (Rick does this). Now for a cheap underwater SDS drill that is another topic/challenge.

The topic was about "pack in" and SierraBlaster packs in easily especially with Aluminum blast heads which is what I use, they work just as good as SS heads except for upside down blasts in tunnels. And battery SDS drill and a blast box or inverter off battery also packs in easy. Rick uses it in a very much packin location, one of those places if you trip it's 500 feet down and likely you are dead. If you can not get a Jeep in then whatever your method works the same even if just a come along, just thought would mention Jeep method as has been such a time saver for us. Check out the video above and you will see just how fast it is.

Hope this info helps. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DredgerDana, your required to be a supporting vendor to advertise your business.

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Treasure Hunter, I did not know that. Thanks for heads up.

Without any mention of brand, on this thread, which think is an excellent one, in addition the breaking boulders into smaller pieces suggest bolting boulders to pull them and using a jeep if possible to pull boulders out of a hole. Have done both and it greatly sped up dredging progress as a result.

Gold nuggets do tend to hide under big boulders. Using Tapcon or Titan rock bolts, such as drilling 10mm with SDS and then wrenching in a 3/8" rockbolt to pull boulders is so much faster than slipping chains/cables, etc. And you can drill underwater with extra long drill bits. Learned rock bolting from MinerRick.

Cheers

DredgerDana

Feb 18, 2015
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer, TDI White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nugget 2oz OnHand.jpg

On topic of gold under boulders the attached pic is a 2 oz nugget from Allegheny area on my hand. It was only 2 feet from surface on inside bend of river, it was in gravel. However it is not a solid. MinerRick has two maybe 1/3 oz or so solid tertiary nuggets found under one boulder which have seen.

We dug all around it, and just got color, the nuggets were just underneath it. When a flood slows (and nuggets only move in a big flood) the boulders are also moving and as flood slows then boulders start dragging bottom and moving slow, nuggets then tuck under them as water is slow around and under those dragging boulders.

In my experience larger solid nuggets are on bedrock and if not in a crack they are under boulders. Hence the value in getting under them. Also a boulder field in fast water where they are "turtle shaped" means the boulders have not moved in a longtime and the top gets rounded/polished. Have found that the cracks between the boulders are like false bedrock crevices, small nuggets get jammed in them.

Cheers

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....And Rick, please feel free to show the fruits of your big nugget only labor. Pictures speak a thousand words after all....

Mike.... I don't remember ever stating that I ever found gold. As a matter of fact the only gold I have ever seen in pictures. Dredger Dana is confused and thinking about another Rick. And even if I ever did find some gold- and I haven't EVER- I wouldn't brag about it here on a public forum... but that is a moot point, because I am not even sure what an actual gold nugget looks like. So that will put this to rest.

Also, how do you know what I do or don't do? Who said I never prospect? I go prospecting all the time.... looking for the gold I've never found....

And, consider lightening up, life is too short to be in a cranky mood. I offered what I do, and didn't demand you do what I do... so what's your problem?

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike.... I don't remember ever stating that I ever found gold. As a matter of fact the only gold I have ever seen in pictures. Dredger Dana is confused and thinking about another Rick. And even if I ever did find some gold- and I haven't EVER- I wouldn't brag about it here on a public forum... but that is a moot point, because I am not even sure what an actual gold nugget looks like. So that will put this to rest.

Also, how do you know what I do or don't do? Who said I never prospect? I go prospecting all the time.... looking for the gold I've never found....

And, consider lightening up, life is too short to be in a cranky mood. I offered what I do, and didn't demand you do what I do... so what's your problem?

Attempting to sell a product that you just admitted has not produced any tangible value is my problem. No proof, failure to provide YOUR evidence that it works or even that your method works at all. This is not about moving house sized boulders while prospecting, and no one person knows where the gold is no matter how you wish to word it. It's about what one, can I say that again? ONE PERSON can carry into a remote area.

Right here in this public forum you have admitted to fraud. Take your sales pitch elsewhere

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Attempting to sell a product that you just admitted has not produced any tangible value is my problem. No proof, failure to provide YOUR evidence that it works or even that your method works at all. This is not about moving house sized boulders while prospecting, and no one person knows where the gold is no matter how you wish to word it. It's about what one, can I say that again? ONE PERSON can carry into a remote area.

Right here in this public forum you have admitted to fraud. Take your sales pitch elsewhere

What the heck are you talking about? I am sure there are others on this forum who have used the various equipment I was talking about and maybe they can also share their opinions too. Would they be frauds if they didn't show pictures of the gold THEY found?

I thought I had some pretty good ideas, but that just goes to show what happens when I think.

So, let me get this straight..... it's not good enough that I spend my time to lay out and suggest to others possible options to what they are currently doing and the only way anyone would even consider my knowledge valid is if I actually played "show and tell"... is that how it works around here? I guess I have been spouting drivel and there is no logic to my assertions, right? Great! Take it or leave it, I don't care what you think of my experience. I put it out there for people to use or not. If you think I am full of crap, cool.. I don't care, its your opinion.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck are you talking about? I am sure there are others on this forum who have used the various equipment I was talking about and maybe they can also share their opinions too. Would they be frauds if they didn't show pictures of the gold THEY found?

I thought I had some pretty good ideas, but that just goes to show what happens when I think.

So, let me get this straight..... it's not good enough that I spend my time to lay out and suggest to others possible options to what they are currently doing and the only way anyone would even consider my knowledge valid is if I actually played "show and tell"... is that how it works around here? I guess I have been spouting drivel and there is no logic to my assertions, right? Great! Take it or leave it, I don't care what you think of my experience. I put it out there for people to use or not. If you think I am full of crap, cool.. I don't care, its your opinion.

Point of the thread is packing light, exploration. if you will. None of your suggestions are remotely close to ONE MAN packable. But we should listen to someone that just admitted to never finding a speck of gold, and has never even seen a piece of gold other than in a picture. Do the math, Thousands of dollars in equipment you suggest, and can't even provide proof that it's worth the investment....

My math says you're a salesman and a fraud.

In the right situation, what you want to sell might be an option but since we are poor miners without your vast knowledge of where the BIG gold is, it's not useful. Since you can't/won't prove you have ever found gold under any boulder you've blown up, then all you say is bullsh!t.

There is a site for liars, cheats and thieves. It's called eBAY

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perhaps we could ease off a bit so that this thread dosen't get closed. I believe the thread had a specific question and alot of different stuff and techniques have been posted. My budget can't handle a $900 blasting system. I have a tough time hauling anything but thanks to my Bigred 3 wheeler I do what I can. And when that won't do it's time for:
300x0_d3790e474238584.jpg

If there wasn't a half foot of snow outside I'd take a picture of my rocksnatcher. Kinda like tirechains but better and seldom needs re-attached, but I wouldn't call it lightweight pack-in equipment.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup done dealing with people that say they know how to get gold, but they admit they have never ever seen gold. That's some stellar work for sure. On my way to Walmart for some blasting caps now for sure.....

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, whether or not I have found gold is none of your business, nor anyone else's on a public forum. Your just not smart enough to recognize when someone is being sarcastic with you.

Bye.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point of the thread is packing light, exploration. if you will. None of your suggestions are remotely close to ONE MAN packable. But we should listen to someone that just admitted to never finding a speck of gold, and has never even seen a piece of gold other than in a picture. Do the math, Thousands of dollars in equipment you suggest, and can't even provide proof that it's worth the investment....

My math says you're a salesman and a fraud.

In the right situation, what you want to sell might be an option but since we are poor miners without your vast knowledge of where the BIG gold is, it's not useful. Since you can't/won't prove you have ever found gold under any boulder you've blown up, then all you say is bullsh!t.

There is a site for liars, cheats and thieves. It's called eBAY

With a generator, rock drill, drill bits, blasting heads, etc... the Sierra Blaster is not a light weight tool by any means and that's why I didn't mention it... The expanding rock bar that you bought, TahoeGold, is OK but the head and arm does get clogged with dirt and it takes work to free up the head... We've had one for years and I still consider it a good tool, even with the sticking problems. It packs in small and is the next tool up from a gad bar.
Here is our Sierra Blaster, it is a great tool and I use it for boulder reduction.

minerrick

Feb 18, 2013
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a generator, rock drill, drill bits, blasting heads, etc... the Sierra Blaster is not a light weight tool by any means and that's why I didn't mention it... [/video]

Reed, thanks for the post.... I needed some help here.... getting attacked sucks.

Maybe you didn't know when you bought the system, but it comes with two types of heads. Looks like you have the stainless steel ones, because you can drive into your claim, I guess. I have to pack everything in on my back, so stainless steel heads are too heavy for me, so I got the aluminum heads. I am working in a canyon full of rocks, no need to be carrying any more weight in than I need to. So look at the aluminum heads for packing in and then place a rock on it to give it more weight. They also have a 9v battery operated capacitor operated blasting box (about the size of a TV remote control box and runs off a 9v battery), and when I am packing in, I get a length of 24v landscaping wire for my cord... so when I am packing in the whole system with one head it all weighs the same pretty much as the one head. Throw in a couple of drill bits and a cordless drill and it is very packable. Been there, done it. Thanks for including the video it is very informative and will maybe quiet the peanut gallery (or not). Maybe you could add some sage advice to the doubters of looking under the big rocks that no one has been under....but remember to show them your gold so they believe you (and don't forget the gps coordinates)

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I probably wouldnt use the blaster for bouldering. Its much easier to just move one big rock.than a bunch of small stuff.
One doesnt need the added hazzards of shards of fresh granite.

My pulling kitt is 2 12ft chains. 3 ft chain with 3 hooks 4000 lb pull hand winch.
2 hydraulic jacks.
Bunch of stulls differant sized help get the big stuff out of the hole.
4 ft pike. 3/8 hilti bolts star drill n hammer.

Havnt found anything big under boulders yet. I have a project workin right now got all the pullin sized rocks out of the way
Its time to use jacks roll the monsters out of my hole.

I get to the bottom of the spot im workin there might be a bign or not i gets crumbs along the way and have some fun movin big rocks.

If your just lookin for less to pack you could hand drill. Use dexpan some rock wedges and a small sledge. Less to pack more smalll pieces to deal with cleanin out a hole.
This is what i would do if i had to pack my gear more than 2 miles.

Gt....

Last edited:

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a generator, rock drill, drill bits, blasting heads, etc... the Sierra Blaster is not a light weight tool by any means and that's why I didn't mention it... The expanding rock bar that you bought, TahoeGold, is OK but the head and arm does get clogged with dirt and it takes work to free up the head... We've had one for years and I still consider it a good tool, even with the sticking problems. It packs in small and is the next tool up from a gad bar.
Here is our Sierra Blaster, it is a great tool and I use it for boulder reduction.

Reed, I can see it as a useful tool down the road, or in an area of easy access but it's just not practical until you find that "right" spot. And you still need the bars no matter what. You'd have to be a bull moose to pack everything in that's needed and then it's as much labor to move the shards as it is to just winch it out of the way. Most of us don't deal with house sized boulders unless there is enough evidence to warrant it's removal. If we don't have any gold from around it then it's not practical to remove it. Since minerrick admitted he has never gotten any gold after removing that big of a boulder, then he's definitely not your best salesman for the product, unless he does it for the fun of blowing things up.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I probably wouldnt use the blaster for bouldering. Its much easier to just move one big rock.than a bunch of small stuff.
One doesnt need the added hazzards of shards of fresh granite.

My pulling kitt is 2 12ft chains. 3 ft chain with 3 hooks 4000 lb pull hand winch.
2 hydraulic jacks.
Bunch of stulls differant sized help get the big stuff out of the hole.
4 ft pike. 3/8 hilti bolts star drill n hammer.

Havnt found anything big under boulders yet. I have a project workin right now got all the pullin sized rocks out of the way
Its time to use jacks roll the monsters out of my hole.

I get to the bottom of the spot im workin there might be a bign or not i gets crumbs along the way and have some fun movin big rocks.

If your just lookin for less to pack you could hand drill. Use dexpan some rock wedges and a small sledge. Less to pack more smalll pieces to deal with cleanin out a hole.
This is what i would do if i had to pack my gear more than 2 miles.

Gt....
Some people who get into 'Hardrock prospecting' have the problem of not just moving a bolder size rock but rotation of the bolder for drilling sample holes. Some will bring in bigger tools such as a chain host, 20 ton air over hydraulic jack, or 2 ton shop crane to help with the process. Not going in light that is for sure.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people who get into 'Hardrock prospecting' have the problem of not just moving a bolder size rock but rotation of the bolder for drilling sample holes. Some will bring in bigger tools such as a chain host, 20 ton air over hydraulic jack, or 2 ton shop crane to help with the process. Not going in light that is for sure.

Talkin about placer mining Assembler.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread