Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very proud to call you friend RR...ya done did great... great karma comming your way girl... hugs to ya

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
RR,

You did good...no doubt in my mind that there's a far richer reward for you UP THERE at the Pearly Gates for your good deed.
Hugs,
Mel

borninok

oldhippiecoinhntr

Nov 25, 2007
The best part of this story, is the good will it generates. Even though this was not a find with a machine, it still involves a metal detectorist in the hobby. ANY positive story about us metal detectorists, can only generate good will. While I have not heard very many negative stories about metal detectorists, its always the negative ones that get the most attention.

I think every chance we get to promote ourselves positively only benifits all of us. Most of the finds we come up with are pretty much non-returnable. But when I get a chance( so far not been able to) to return something, I am going to do just that. I am looking to build good will in this area for detectorists. There has only been one instance here I know of, that was negative, and it wasnt the detectorists fault. He wasnt doing anything illegal. He was hunting a local tot-lot (which has been done many times), when a lady came running from a house across the street, yelling at him to stop it. When she got close, she continued her ti-rade and told the man to leave before she called the cops. Said he could not detect or dig there. Seeing her rage, and she was enraged, he thought diplomacy the better path, and excused himself and left. I talked to him later at a gas station, and he recalled the story to me. Told me he decided it best to leave rather than risk the law comeing around, even if he wasnt in the wrong.

What he didnt know, was that the lady called the law anyway. The next day my family and I went to a family holiday gathering. My brother in law wanted to know if I was the ones the cops were sent to check out at a local tot-lot. I said no, but told him about the story the friend related to me. My brother in law heard on scanner that cops did show up, and they reported a detectorist with a bad attitude displayed towards a lady. I did not believe it for a second, as I know the detectorist friend would never do that. He doesnt have it in him. I dont think the cops took the ladies story at full face value either.My policy, and local detectorists friends here, is diplomacy is best policy. Its the best generator of good will, next to returning items, or giveing items to land owner.

So RR, I do thank you, and commend you on being able to return the necklace. Its a service to us all.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
RR,
You did a very good deed. And no good deed goes unrewarded. Imho.
Tennessee Joe

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
cooltext76466224.jpg

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's Great RR.....The MDing' God's will be watching over you soon.....Great story and return.HH!!

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
What a wonderful woman you are, RR! I love happy endings. Do you own any arrowheads?

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank you for all the nice words & gestures. Finding this necklace and returning it to it's rightful owner...well, it was just the right thing to do. I would want someone to do the same if I lost something valuable. I did tell the lady & her husband about metal detecting and some of the awesome jewelry that everyone finds...that's everyone else, not me. I may had done a good deed, but it makes my heart proud.

;) RR

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go RR!!!
Wonderful story. You're the BEST!!! ;)
-MM-

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judy, Judy, Judy!!!!!! WoW! Girl! What a find! And so sweet of you to return it to it's owner! I know you made her day! Would have mine! You did good and I know you feel good about it too! :)

Nana :)

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
Re: OMG, Look what I just found!! Update...necklace returned

River Rat said:
Here's the update...to make a long story short. Through word of mouth, necklace lost; necklace found...the owner found me at the wedding reception. Nancy was in charge of the floral decorations at the hall and the church, with everyone running last minute details, we missed each other. But, Nancy was not someone I knew, she was a friend of the bride's mother. She told me her necklace was drooping down and getting tangled in the hanging ferns as she was unloading. She took it off and put in her jacket pocket and forgot about it. She thinks when she left the hall to head to the church, with her jacket now taken off, draped on her arm and throwing the jacket in the backseat is when it fell out onto the pavement.

I don't know who was more happier her or the bride. ;D She had tears welling in her eyes when I handed it over. This necklace means a lot to her, it was given to her by her husband for their 25th wedding anniversary. Her hugs and thank yous was all I needed. :)

;) RR
way to go big respect

cival war hunter 2 !

Dec 29, 2007
Hay that's the one i lost, gust kidding i wanted to ask do you have a kid that plays a instrument i am trying to get a band together.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread