k111.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 6,336

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
Well it ain't KGC! :laughing9:

That is about one third of a carved map. The carving was so big I couldn't photograph it and get all of the detail in just one photo so this is just part of the map.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can your horse carve steps? Apparently mine could. This carving is just a few yards from the 3 horseshoes. I took this photo on one of my visits to this site in central Texas.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• staircarvingreduced.jpg
    staircarvingreduced.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 5,760

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Steps you say????

Attachments

• k004.jpg
    k004.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 5,583
  • k005.jpg
    k005.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 5,495

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR, and what is my "agenda" according to you? You don't have a clue. :laughing7: "Graffitti" you say? One thing is for certain, it is not modern graffitti as these dates from the same site testify.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• datecarvingsreduced.jpg
    datecarvingsreduced.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 5,476

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Come on Jay, no grafitti? I'm not saying you carvings aren't old but you have to admit that there is grafitti there. Almost every site that has actual treasure carvings has grafitti just because that's what people do. They see a carving and decide to leave one of their own.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This site is on secured private property and has been for as long as I've been alive and longer so, unlike many sites, this one has not been plagued with modern graffitti except for a very few that were initials, names and dates carved by high school friends of the landowner's kids. My "agenda" was originally to follow up on a story my grandfather (born 1892) told me when I was about 10 years old. He told me that he had carved his name on this site when he was a very young man. I got permission from the landowner, who I have known for about 35 years, to look for his name. I finally found it a few years ago after several trips to the area looking for it.
~Texas Jay

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
See there, that wasn't so hard! :hello2:

Congrats on finding your grandfather's name. I hope you got some very good photos! That's the kind of family history that is nice to pass down.

Grafitti doesn't have to be modern. The people leaving the names and dates from the 1800's are still eaving grafitti when you get right down to it. It's everywhere. Like I said, if it's a place where people have visited and they see carvings they always want to leave one of their own. Sometimes that's a good thing but most of the time it's not.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alec, I did get some excellent photos of my granddad's carved name (some with me pointing to it) and sent copies to everyone in our immediate family along with his story to me that led me on the search. Now, it will be handed down to future generations or at least that is my hope. I admit that even I was tempted to leave my own dated name on the rocks but found that they are not easy to carve on and I didn't have hours to spend doing it. I can only imagine how long it took those men to carve the intricate carvings they left in the 19th century.
Well, that ends my "Show and Tell" session for the foreseeable future. I hope some members got something beneficial from it. :)
~Texas Jay

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
I hope some of the younger folks in your family appreciate the carving.

I'm disappointed your show and tell is over. I was just starting to have fun!!

Attachments

• K098-099 stitched.jpg
    K098-099 stitched.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 5,983

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Unusual Rock Carving Discovered in West Virginia
http://naturalplane.blogspot.com/2010/03/unusual-rock-carving-discovered-in-west.html
TUESDAY, MARCH 30, 2010

Image urls listed:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iq2vQY1Jeaw/S7IvMfbM1XI/AAAAAAAAS1Q/FnYbP2wA-aA/s400/rockWV1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iq2vQY1Jeaw/S7IvE3AOfRI/AAAAAAAAS1I/_NDUfJJ6f8I/s400/rockWV2.jpg

I found an interesting post today:

A few days ago, a gentleman was walking in the woods, in an undisclosed location in WV, when he happened upon a curiously carved rock. This particular gent has been all over this ground, for years, and had never noticed this rock carving before.

He came back and reported the find, and so far no one else has ever noticed it before either. Keep in mind these gents have been all over this territory hunting and such, and are keen observers due to that pursuit. No much gets by them, but no one has noticed this rock before.

I went out this morning in the company of one of them to see this rock for myself, as I was not a little dubious.

The rock itself is embedded in the bed of a small mountain stream, around 200 meters or so away from the nearest road, up a small hollow. The stream I think is mostly dry, but has had some water running in it lately due to heavy rains. The area it's in is little frequented, and mostly uninhabited.

The circle is 22 inches wide at the inside edge of the circle, and 21 1/2 inches tall at the inside edge of the circle. The depth that the circle is cut to is between 5/8 and 3/4 of an inch. The orientation of the stem of the central "tree" is east by north-east.

I did a cursory search of Google images (just the first 20 pages) and found similar, but not identical, figures. They were the Norse "World tree" (Yggdrasil), the Celtic "Tree of Life", and a Buddhist figure somewhat resembling the carving. None of these explains how THIS carving would be found in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia, with this obvious patina of age.

The "branches" of the central "tree" vaguely resemble the layout of the surrounding hollows. There has been some lively discussion today of whether or not this could be some sort of "map" of the surrounding one or two square miles. Some say it most likely IS, others are equally certain that it ISN'T. So far, no theory has been advanced as to why anyone would take the time to rock-cut a map of such a small area.

An idea has been advanced that it is some sort of Indian carving, but no purpose for it has been suggested.

Why the "tree"? Why the circle? Why in the middle of nowhere, off the beaten path, in an uninhabited area? Why in the middle of a stream bed? Who would take the time to carve it, and for what purpose?

Any ideas? Explanations? suggestions for further research? I have to admit my perplexity in the matter once again.

NOTE: The thread can be found at ATS. There were references about the patina of the carving not matching the surrounding rock surface, though on closer inspection it does seem that there is some overlap. Could it be a Knights of the Golden Circle map used to mark buried gold from Confederate sympathizers? Possible Native American? Take a look and judge for yourself (click the images for a larger version)...Lon

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
I would say this was probably Indian or derived from the Indians. It appears to be what I call an "ancient juicer". The Indians would place whatever they were smashing to get the liquid out of inside the center of the circle and as they smashed it the "juices" would run off the rock and into the outside circle and to a spot where the liquid would run out into a pot. It appears the run out spot has been broken away or chipped off near the bottom just left of center. The "veins" inside the circle helped catch the liquid and direct it toward the bottom of the circle.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D CCC, are there mountain ridges around the "map"? Looks like mountain ridges, with "circle" around 'em saying... PROTECTED AREA. The "gateway" at the "bottom" of the circle (depending on "direction" of N,S,E,W), appears to be saying... approach from the SOUTH. GOOD LUCK! HH!

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Rare KGC pin
The 2010 Texas Division Sons of Confederate Veterans Reunion Convention was recently held in Dallas, Texas on June 4th through the 6th. During the Reunion one of the programs was a presentation by Mr. Randy Farmer on the Knights of the Golden Circle and the Confederate Home Guards. Mr. Farmer became interested in the KGC after discovering a KGC pin. Mr. Farmer displayed during his power point presentation the following photograph of a rare KGC pin.

The photo was sent to me by Mr. Paul Ridenour of www.paulridenour.com

http://knights-of-the-golden-circle.blogspot.com/2010/06/knights-of-golden-circle-pin.html

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
cccalco said:
Rare KGC pin
The 2010 Texas Division Sons of Confederate Veterans Reunion Convention was recently held in Dallas, Texas on June 4th through the 6th. During the Reunion one of the programs was a presentation by Mr. Randy Farmer on the Knights of the Golden Circle and the Confederate Home Guards. Mr. Farmer became interested in the KGC after discovering a KGC pin. Mr. Farmer displayed during his power point presentation the following photograph of a rare KGC pin.

http://knights-of-the-golden-circle.blogspot.com/2010/06/knights-of-golden-circle-pin.html

What does a Masonic Knight Templar watch fob have to do with the KGC?

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walker Colt said:
cccalco said:
Rare KGC pin

Walker Colt: you apparently have not been paying close attention. :sign13:
~Texas Jay

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
Did anybody ever notice the fountain drink cups @ Kentucky Fried Chicken?? One side says "KFC" the other-side of the cup says "KGC", are they tied in with the Knights of the Golden Circle???? :icon_scratch:

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
Texas Jay said:
Walker Colt said:
cccalco said:
Rare KGC pin

Walker Colt: you apparently have not been paying close attention. :sign13:
~Texas Jay

More than likely Knights of Pythias, here is one for sale on ebay.

Attachments

• kop.jpg
    kop.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 5,119

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread