PINTO CREEK

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, I was not happy with what was going on in the stone maps thread so thought I would resurrect this one with a picture from the Rogers Mining District.
DSC_7062 Rogers Waltz Ledge.JPG
This is the center of the Rogers Mining District on the north side of the ridge.
The Chief Mine is easy to see, as the whole hillside has been blown to smithereens, and very hard to navigate.
DSC_7055 Silver Chief.JPG
It is hard to tell by the photo but the mine is a half bowl shaped large area.
The Cannon story is documented and according to what I know of it by Texas State History, the cannon were used as vaults to hold the gold that was removed from Santa Fe when the army left there. Records and all valuables were removed for flight to the south as none was there when the US captured Santa Fe. When Santa Anna was captured he did not have any of the Gold that had been removed from the Santa Fe Vaults with him. Somewhere between Santa Fe and the capture location is a trove left by Santa Anna in the cannons. Do not know how Villa got mixed into the story unless he recovered Santa Anna's Cannons, which would explain why the cannons have not been found by those searching where the cannons are chiseled in the rocks in central NM.

Last edited:

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I made a trip in to the area, I came back cut up from head to toe. Any open areas are covered with cat claw brush. The hillsides are steep and densely covered with trees. The ridge line is the best off trail route to see the mining district.

Last edited:

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
That is true Paul. I've gone back to my prospecting roots. Discovered some promising locations while filming the Legend show. Trust me it's more fun than filming.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Every time I made a trip in to the area, I came back cut up from head to toe. Any open areas are covered with cat claw brush. The hillsides are steep and densely covered with trees. The ridge line is the best off trail route to see the mining district.

I have the same problem with getting cut up or pricked. Got a pair of turtleskin armor pants that I'm keen to try next time I'm out there.

sailaway

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am in there I wear Snake Guards, and that is about the only place that is not bleeding when I come out. They have saved my life as there are many different kinds of rattlers in there. Stopped one time in a small pit and every good sized rock had one sunning on it. Buddy that was with me come stood beside me and wanted to know why I stopped and they all started rattling! scared him so bad that we went to the truck and he never went back there again. (that was very close to the cliff dwellings) That was my first sighting of an all black rattle snake, not just Dark but coal black. Black rattlers are very hard to see when in dark areas, so be very careful where you stick your hands. I also use a very sturdy octagon extruded aluminum walloping stick for beating cat claw out of my path, and other things that may get you. For larger things I have my stainless steel machete to chop the thickets that are too tough for just beating out of the way. Like the first time I went into Rogers Canyon and Leonard Skinner Jr. stood in the middle of a Palo Verde tree jumping up and down screaming he could go no farther up hill. On the way back to the Cliff Dwellings was the first sighting of the gold as it shone a beam of reflected yellow sunlight from the hill side, which we stopped and pondered. Not having much time as the sun was setting quickly we took off to sleep at the cliff dwellings. Only thing he got out of going to Arizona was there were big rattle snakes, you would die of thirst leaning against a Saguaro cactus and everything there wants to kill you. I used to carry a Bowie knife but left it by the two Quartz Feet over the Cliff Dwellings. Also be careful if your in the Rogers Mining District as I am sure there is a Jaguar on that ridge as I heard it coming one night grunting as it walked towards us, sounded so bad we were in the tent with guns drawn listening to pebbles rolling down from above as it went by. I do not think Cougars grunt is why I believe it was a Jaguar. Sounded like a cat with a very deep voice barking in very short staccato. Bro, Bro, Bro was a very guttural sound like calling for a mate or for young to follow. I was outside the tent when I heard it coming for several minutes before my trail partner heard it. This was because he had his radio playing, which he turned off as soon as he heard it, so he heard it over rock n roll out of a pocket radio. No idea why anyone would go to the wilderness to listen to the radio, to each his own though.

Last edited:

billyjoe

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Folks just north of the pinto valley bridge the old silver mine known as the Gibson Mine.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Folks just north of the pinto valley bridge the old silver mine known as the Gibson Mine.
billy...i think you mean south...i have been there years ago...i think it could possibly be gated now...have you been there recently?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread