Do you conceal carry while detecting?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I was wondering if you guys and gals conceal carry (with a permit of course) while you are detecting? I am planning on hunting some wooded areas where bears are common, and I was thinking of carrying while going there for my safety. There are a plethora of other reasons to carry but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Mike(Iowa)

Dec 18, 2003
I was wondering if you guys and gals conceal carry (with a permit of course) while you are detecting? I am planning on hunting some wooded areas where bears are common, and I was thinking of carrying while going there for my safety. There are a plethora of other reasons to carry but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why? Thanks in advance.

I don't, but I hunt relatively "milk-toast" environments. There have been some times in the city parks I wished I had. I would if I were hunting in an area like you are hunting,or in any area where I could run across snakes, bears, people-eating cats, or any other manner of wildlife that seeks to eat parts, or all of me.:laughing7:

fadetoblack

Apr 1, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in vt and always conceal carry. Lotsa samsquanches up here!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What part of central Florida are you at?

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, lots of people saying that they do carry. I'm curious as to what your setup is? I do NOT conceal carry because my shirt rides up so much and I carry my pouch and tools on a GI pistol belt which also drags my shirt up. So how do you carry without flashing your piece at the world? Tuckable holsters? I would appreciate any info.

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a full size, 12 round .40 Cal Beretta using an IWB holster. I wear a comfortable cotton shirt over my belt and gun. I'm a medium build and haven't had any 'printing' or accidental exposure issues. The key to my carry option is the holster. I don't have to wear an oversized shirt to adequately conceal.

gforce1972

May 3, 2012
York, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I carry a small Ruger LCP-CT .380. Fits in my pocket easily. In summer I wear cargo shorts and it is really easy to keep in those pockets.

G

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, lots of people saying that they do carry. I'm curious as to what your setup is? I do NOT conceal carry because my shirt rides up so much and I carry my pouch and tools on a GI pistol belt which also drags my shirt up. So how do you carry without flashing your piece at the world? Tuckable holsters? I would appreciate any info.

Winter time is easy because I wear a jacket over everything, including my finds pouch. Warm weather, I shift to a long T-shirt tucked in, an IWB Maxtuck, and a light shirt over that. I wear the T-shirt because I don't care for the rough leather against my skin. My finds pouch and Lesche are the only things on my web belt, so they don't interfere with anything.

fadetoblack

Apr 1, 2013
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in vt and don't mind printing. I carry a full size tiger sr9 in my pocket. I don't chamber a round though as the safety tends to slide off from time to time and its pretty easy to shoot yourself without a holster protecting the trigger!

mustangpalmer1911

Apr 12, 2011
Hop Bottom, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
I carry everywhere all the time, I am never unarmed. Either a 1911, P-64, or my Colt SAA 45LC. Unless it is a building(court hosue, bank, any type of Gov't building) where I cant. Then usaly I check it going in were possiable.

Last edited:

alienbogey

Jun 21, 2007
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only carry when I'm detecting and when I'm not detecting.

A Ruger LCP in a wallet holster in my back pocket doesn't interfere with any detecting motion and is not going to fall out and get lost. I carry a handkerchief in the same pocket slightly peeking out - it serves to cover the very top of the pistol in case someone gets a view right down into the pocket.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I only carry when I'm detecting and when I'm not detecting.

A Ruger LCP in a wallet holster in my back pocket doesn't interfere with any detecting motion and is not going to fall out and get lost. I carry a handkerchief in the same pocket slightly peeking out - it serves to cover the very top of the pistol in case someone gets a view right down into the pocket.

If they are trying to get a view into you pocket like that I hate to think what they are up to...but there are lots of sickos in todays world.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
I have carried for almost a decade now. I've never had to use my weapon. But here's a little story. I lived in ferndale Michigan for a couple of years. My two young daughters and I would go to this dollar store that they liked because of the toys and school supplies. We went there on a Thursday evening around 7-8 o'clockish. Every thing was fine. Like always the the one of the owners was there. A husband and a father. I've met his wife and one of his daughters that worked there. My daughters finally made their choices of what they had to have. lol . We payed the nice guy for the items. Talked a little as usual. Well have a good night I said. The next evening I decided to go pick up some food for dinner. As I drove by I noticed police there. The guy that would talk to you even help you out if you needed something but didn't have the cash. A low life p.o.s. had shot and killed him. Over the little bit of money he and his family was making running a small dollar store. A stone throw away from Detroit. Go figure. I've lived in this area for most of my life. I care about people too. But the animals who do things of this nature are the reason why good people carry. I would never let a low life take me away from my family. And this is not stereo typing on my part. I've watched my neighborhood fall apart. People who don't believe this , walk down john r road from 8 mile to 6 mile and see if you come back with the same "people don't need guns" attitude

I know the exact location you are talking about. I work for a fishing wholesaler and pick up Fishing Nets, etc on John R just south of 8 mile at Ranger Nets in Detroit. Go there every 4-6 weeks or so.

Every time I go...spring, summer, fall, or winter...rain or shine...It never fails...I see the same 2 streetwalkers on opposite sides of the street just south of 8 mile by that party store. Hilarious. I've seen the one wearing a skirt when its snowing! Priceless.

As for concealed carrying...the answer is absolutely.

I agree with the statement..."I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it."

IMHO, you only get one chance to live your life. I would never want to take someone else's chance at life away...but if my life was being threatened, then obviously this person is not giving that same respect to me and my chance at life. Therefore, what choice would I be left with if someone else was threatening MY life, MY liberty, and MY pursuit of happiness? I would no longer be able to pursue these things in the physical sense if I were no longer alive.

That is why I carry concealed. I care about life and want to live mine.

Read this statement and think about it careful...again, just my humble opinion.

Many, if not most, victims of gun violence in the United States became victims because they were either unarmed by choice or by government.

If you stop to think about most of the mass shootings in the US...most are mass shootings for one reason...they are done at locations that are full of unarmed people. Therefore, nobody is there to stop the shootings. Schools, churches, malls, theaters...all places where most people are not allowed to carry a gun. What that does is 2 things. First...it alerts the good guys to keep their guns out and packed away in their cars, safes, at home etc. The other thing it does is inform the bad guy that nobody inside this place is going to stop them from committing atrocities.

I would also like to make the comment that I am also a competitive pistol shooter. I have been shooting firearms since a young age, have my own pistol and rifle range at home, and know how to handle a firearm.

Also, I am educated past high school. I graduated college as a double major in Psychology & Communication...and I still CHOOSE to carry a gun. Not because I'm scared...because I'm educated.

Facts are simple. Evil exists everywhere. I may be one hell of a shot with a pistol, but one thing I was never good at was predicting the future. I was also never good at being able to control others actions or the decision that they make in their lives.

You cannot change things in life that you have no control over. Therefore, you spend time trying to change the things you can control. I cannot control if someone chooses to injure or harm myself or others that I care about. However, I may be able to control whether or not they succeed at doing so.

Just my 3 cents...LOL.

Deerhunter24

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better to be judged by 9 than carried by 6..

A law abiding man allowed to have or carry a gun is a citizen, a man not allowed to have or carry a gun is a subject.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry unless I am in one of out parks that it is not allowed. Any time I am any where else I carry out of habit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread