Do you conceal carry while detecting?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I was wondering if you guys and gals conceal carry (with a permit of course) while you are detecting? I am planning on hunting some wooded areas where bears are common, and I was thinking of carrying while going there for my safety. There are a plethora of other reasons to carry but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

ShadowLine

Jan 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll help to bring this back on topic. I mentioned before I open carry almost all the time anyway, but I've found open carry to be best for metal detecting. All of the bending, and digging really makes the act of concealing pretty difficult and uncomfortable. With this in mind I now carry in a SERPA style OWB holster and position it at about 4 o'clock. I found that way I can put the pointer at 2 o'clock and the gator at 9 o'clock without any interference with the weapon.

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Of course, doesn't every one carry? At least out here in the west if you run into a mamma bear in the spring, or an irrate badger, or a two legged skunk you should be prepared. Of course many places out here in the west where we hunt for mineral treasure, or man made treasure most places are a long ways from help such as: law enforcement, hospital, etc. And I always carry snake shot in or with my .45 auto in rattle snake country or at least an extra clip of it that I can feed into Mr. Smith Wesson if the need should arise!8-) Sorry, don't mean to offend the snake lovers out there, but I would rather walk away from an encounter with Mr Rattles if it means dispatching him to snake afterlife!

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yes I have had some run ins with rattlers as well in the Big Bear California area. I am very lucky I was not bit on one particular occasion. Long story. I have also ran into some "interesting" people out on the trail as well.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Yes I have had some run ins with rattlers as well in the Big Bear California area. I am very lucky I was not bit on one particular occasion. Long story. I have also ran into some "interesting" people out on the trail as well.

Animals is why I even started the thread. I have a hunting spot in the middle of nowhere where there is a healthy black bear population, and I was just wondering the Tnet'rs thoughts on carrying while they detect in case of wild animals. I guess it is good to be cautious around those "interesting people" as well.

Boomer-1

Jun 27, 2009
Gadsden, Al
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in Alabama I can go from city to wilderness in 10 minutes. We have plenty of dangerous critters like coons, skunks, bobcats, coyotes, black bear, feral hogs, snakes and cougars. Though according to fish & game dept, there are no cougars.

Although I've seen two of them, a sheriff's deputy got one on video....Nope, still no cougars. :icon_scratch:

And then you have all your weirdo's, freaks, tide fans, stoners, crackheads, pot farmers, and lonely hillbillies.

I can put two .38 snake shot loads in the six shooter when I'm in snakey areas and that will take care of the big three here.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here in Alabama I can go from city to wilderness in 10 minutes. We have plenty of dangerous critters like coons, skunks, bobcats, coyotes, black bear, feral hogs, snakes and cougars. Though according to fish & game dept, there are no cougars.

Although I've seen two of them, a sheriff's deputy got one on video....Nope, still no cougars. :icon_scratch:

And then you have all your weirdo's, freaks, tide fans, stoners, crackheads, pot farmers, and lonely hillbillies.

I can put two .38 snake shot loads in the six shooter when I'm in snakey areas and that will take care of the big three here.
Boomer, don't laugh to bad at me but what is a tide fans? Is this a bath salts addict?

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I don't leave home without it. I was good enough to carry one for my Country as an 18 year old kid, in the early seventies, and now with crime in our area as bad as it is I don't go anywhere without it. Only once I came close to using it, I was in an area walking with my dog when a car stopped asking directions, which I happily gave the two young men. I turned and started back on my walk when I heard the door on the car open and I turned around and politely asked the occupants not to get out of the car, they snickered at me and continued to exit the vehicle. It was at that point that my hand went into my pocket and you heard the click of the safe being removed. The two young men jumped back in their car and sped away... the incident was reported to the local police.

As the saying goes I would prefer emptying the clip of 7 than being carried by a group of six.

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Always....I always carry. Both my sig saur p220 and a SOG combat knife......never had to pull either...thank god.....but I carry every time I leave my house.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I do. When seconds count the police are only minutes away!

Roy

Whitesmxt66

Dec 29, 2011
Clarkston, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, really want the MXT though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry when detecting in Detroit, and in the upper portion of michigan.

docholiday490

Apr 22, 2013
mid WI
Detector(s) used
minelab 705 garret 350 (daughters) rather new to detecting as for coins ect main reason was scanning my tailings .will go more with daughter this year
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure if someone has stated this or not ,but when detecting in AZ desert I have had the unfortunate runins with packs of dogs and they are not looking to be petted I almost lost a leg ,I now only have one side of the headphone on at a time .but that just me only ever seen a few snakes and heard them long befor I seen them. I live in northern WI and could carry one but dont know why i would.

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never carry a gun....no need to....I do not like guns, and love people too much to even threaten some one else's life.

Some people may think that's dumb, but that's the way I want it.

I'm with you nose-picker, I love people too - especially victims of violent criminals. This is why I choose to carry my firearm when I detect and everywhere else it's legal. Millions of liberty loving Americans own guns to protect themselves and their families. Some people think that's a smart thing to do! By-the-way, don't hate guns, they are responsible for saving innocent life every day. I suggest you hate evil acts and not the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This tread has been repeated over and over and over and over! Lets put this topic to rest....
once and for all!!!

1: If you are legally permitted to carry a gun, do so!! All the time...no matter what!
2: Detecting is a DIRTY hobby. Carry a gun, that can be fired when covered in dirt!
3: Good holsters mean EVERYTHING! Otherwise..you will spend the ENTIRE DAY hunting for your sidearm.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
This tread has been repeated over and over and over and over! Lets put this topic to rest....
once and for all!!!

1: If you are legally permitted to carry a gun, do so!! All the time...no matter what!
2: Detecting is a DIRTY hobby. Carry a gun, that can be fired when covered in dirt!
3: Good holsters mean EVERYTHING! Otherwise..you will spend the ENTIRE DAY hunting for your sidearm.

Okalely dokaley broham!

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
<snip>This tread has been repeated over and over and over and over! Lets put this topic to rest....
once and for all!!!<snip>

Hi ClodChopper

Very good opinion summation of the thread. However, I think this is an important topic and may continue express my opinion based on additional posts. The great thing about forums is that we can choose not to read topics we feel need to be put to rest.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with you nose-picker, I love people too - especially victims of violent criminals. This is why I choose to carry my firearm when I detect and everywhere else it's legal. Millions of liberty loving Americans own guns to protect themselves and their families. Some people think that's a smart thing to do! By-the-way, don't hate guns, they are responsible for saving innocent life every day. I suggest you hate evil acts and not the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution.

I carry for my protection as is my right....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread