Ever Get Made Fun Of For Metal Detecting? Any Good Comebacks?

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
Upvote 0

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
This is a great post!!!

Why even bother with the comebacks! Honestly, I read about people who are so concerned what others think! Who cares???? Do any of you have a job where you cannot win? I do...so I hear crap from people who are right....people who are wrong...people who lie....people on drugs....people against people...<pick a side the other thinks you are a jerk! Guess my job? I am a police officer in a busy city! So do you think I would be bothered by a few more comments??? Not at all....

Then there are those who are to embarrassed to go out and detect in public! Ok these are the things they should have thought about when they bought their detector! <<<<You can only stay in your yard with your detector for so long! So come out of your yards, or sell your detector!

My one liner about people making fun of me???? I don't need one....by the way happy hunting everyone.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Good comeback lines. I've heard a couple of wisecracks thrown at me, but I pretty much ignore them. Being that most of the wisecracks seem to come from the young crowd, if push comes to shove, I'd rather talk with my hands than get into a dis match. That's just me. I'll let a wisecrack or two slip through, after that I'll just ask them if they want to throw their hands around to back up the talk. I am tempted to throw on a mine sweeper T-shirt!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Because some of us are so moral people have us stereotyped as perverts, creeps and just plan old geeks. That may be true for some of us, but when strangers see me they don't say anything like that. But who knows what three or four dudes will say and or do. They might say you got a purtty mouth.

The only come back I have is letting them see my digging knife while it's in my hand. A man can look very scary with a digging knife in his hand and some ladies too.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The first time i went away with my inlaws (to the bahamas in 1997) I brought my detector. There i was, on the beach, and my father-in-law and both brother-in-laws were throwing change in front of me (which of course I picked up). They were laughing and joking and having a good time (which I pointedly ignored).

Then I got a hit, scooped up a very nice diamond ring, follwed about 2 mins later by a bracelet, and an empty pack of smokes with a $100 bill in it. I casually walked back to them, showed them the ring, bracelet, and $100 bucks... smiled and went back to detecting. They still harass me on occasion... and then ask what I've found.

oh... and as a bonus to this story, that night, I took my shiny new $100 bill, split it up into two $50s. I played blackjack for almost an hour on $50 until i lost it, then, put the other $50 on #7 on the roulette wheel (my birthday is 7/7/74)... and won $1,750. That was the BEST comeback line EVER

steve

AgileMJOLNIR

Apr 3, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Can't say I have been made fun of but I do always get the guy that comes up and asks if I have gotten rich or if I find a solid gold bracelet it's his yadda yadda yadda.

The only time I ever got made fun of was when I wore the utility belt with the shovel etc. Even I have to admit that looks a bit funny and is kind of overkill.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spez401 said:
The first time i went away with my inlaws (to the bahamas in 1997) I brought my detector. There i was, on the beach, and my father-in-law and both brother-in-laws were throwing change in front of me (which of course I picked up). They were laughing and joking and having a good time (which I pointedly ignored).

Then I got a hit, scooped up a very nice diamond ring, follwed about 2 mins later by a bracelet, and an empty pack of smokes with a $100 bill in it. I casually walked back to them, showed them the ring, bracelet, and $100 bucks... smiled and went back to detecting. They still harass me on occasion... and then ask what I've found.

oh... and as a bonus to this story, that night, I took my shiny new $100 bill, split it up into two $50s. I played blackjack for almost an hour on $50 until i lost it, then, put the other $50 on #7 on the roulette wheel (my birthday is 7/7/74)... and won $1,750. That was the BEST comeback line EVER

steve
You da man ! ;D I live in upstate N.y.were most people dont bother ya and are more curious than anything else,never had a problem.But then i hunt mostly in out of the way area's. ;) ;D

skalleewag

Dec 4, 2006
TREASURE COAST, FLORIDA
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i carry this with me. its a zirc. but they dont know it...

Attachments

• zirc.JPG
    zirc.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,315
  • zirc.JPG
    zirc.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,237

Korban

Nov 2, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Xterra 30, Sov GT
I had a friend from home come visit me, She just got her Doctorate in Physical Therapy. She was laughing and making fun of the fact that I like to metal detect. Then she looked at me very seriously and asked if the machine could detect gold. I said yes gold is a metal. Then just as serious she asked well then what about silver. I replied to her that It detects metal....duh. Later while playing frisbee golf she lost her rental car keys, so I grabed my detector to check the woodchip tee off areas. We found them before i detected but she then had another brilliant idea. She looked at me and said, "Hey lets see if that machine will read my keys". I looked at her for a moment and told her to go home. Some people are morons.

T

TreasureTales

When I worked and my coworkers made fun of me, I said "Yeah, and you know what Liberace said? He said he cried all the way to the bank." They were so busy trying to remember who Liberace was that they usually didn't ridicule me again. LOL
When my siblings make fun of me, I show them some of my finds and that usually shuts them up - until the next gathering. One of my brothers is my biggest critic, and he has a difficult time believing some of the stuff I've found and SOLD. He thinks it's all junk, until I show him my logbook.
When I'm ridiculed in the field, I usually turn to them - with a blank look on my face - and point to my headphones. Then they move along. (Don't antagonize strangers because you never know just how strange they are.)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kindafoundabuckle said:
BuckleBoy said:
Most of the time people just honk as they drive buy. Occasionally someone comes up and asks if I got rich that day. I usually have to say "no." (I feel like I should check my pride at the front desk and resist the urge to tell strangers about all the great finds I've made in the past decade and a half.) The most I will talk about finds with total strangers is to tell them about the lost items I have returned to their owners through the years. Then they often ask what I've found since I started detectin. I just smile and say "good stuff."

Usually I just get strange looks because I am young. Most people think detectorists all look like this guy:
They aren't usually expecting a clean-shaven, well-dressed, young college professor. But at least I challenge that silly stereotype.

Regards,

Buckleboy
I dont remember giving you a pic of me. The stereotype I usually run into is for some reason people think I drive a junker for a car that has half the front end missing! Go figure.

T

It ain't funny. In my photo do I look like I'm smilin?
index.jpg
Watch out or I'll sic the dreaded python on ya. :o :D

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Went to the beach one day, and there was an obviously well-off group of upwardly mobile individuals(Rich Kids, mid 20's), who were snickering and making comments as I passed by. One of them asked; Are you looking for buried treasure? I smiled and said; Well, if there is one here, i'm sure I could find it, but I am basically looking for coins and rings that people are losing here everyday. Dumbfounded, the guy then said; You mean you actually expect to find coins and rings down here! I said; Well, I have somewhere in the range of 100,000 coins, and a whole bunch of jewelry. And every year I add a little extra to my ROTH! They all look at each other with puzzled looks on their faces

I went up the beach another hundred yards or so and began working up high, next to the beach grass(people in street clothes like to sit up near the grass). I quickly find a mans wedding ring(comfort band, HEAVY).
I then spot a six pack of Red Dog in the grass, nobody around, no drinking on the beach, I scoop it up and head back past the group of yuppies! They say; You found that? Yep, and when I get back from my car, I'm going to look around for a couple of thick ribeyes. Then I said; Hey, did any of you lose your wedding band? They all say no, and I just smile and say; Good, and pat my goody pouch. As I was walking away, they were all yaking at each other about detecting. You know how the non detecting types talk; I know a guy that does that!, A guy I know found a real treasure chest!, I've always wanted one of those things!

Another time at a fresh water beach, a Donzi cruises by, and a lady sunbathing on the bow says; Hey! look at the scavenger. I just looked up, waved, and smiled (That same day I found a Gruen, 17 jewel swiss watch, still working great!)

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Bodyguard said:
I loved all the comebacks I read so far; especially looking for radioactive material. Still I think I might get a T-shirt made up (official looking of course) that says "LAND MINE SWEEPER". I just don't know what type of panic I would start in the community if anyone actually approached me though. :)

[/quote

I used to hunt (for coins and rings), at a 50/50, gay/hetero beach on a regular basis. I finally had a black T shirt made up that stated; "ULTRA RIGHT WING CITIZEN FORCES", in white letters on the back. It actually worked quite well! When guys were walking toward me, I would turn around long enough for them to read it, and by the time I turned back, they were heading off in another direction. I didn't have as many guys coming up, asking me what I had in my "goody bag", after that.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Ant said:
Because some of us are so moral people have us stereotyped as perverts, creeps and just plan old geeks. That may be true for some of us, but when strangers see me they don't say anything like that. But who knows what three or four dudes will say and or do. They might say you got a purtty mouth.

The only come back I have is letting them see my digging knife while it's in my hand. A man can look very scary with a digging knife in his hand and some ladies too.

My digging knife was always visible at the 50/50 beach, even though I was using my shovel. Once, when I was down there, on a cool, overcast day, I was way down the (deserted)beach, and I hear a bunch of giggeling off in the distance. I turn around to see 9 couples (18 men), strolling along , hand in hand. I couldn't make out what they were saying, but they were all looking at me and laughing. A thought crossed my mind at that point; What will the headline read in tomorrows newspaper? At that point, I made a B-line for civilization!!!!

OP
OP
S

SaginawIan

Jun 1, 2006
Detroit, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Mojave.
If get called a geek or whatever for metal detecting by some guys at work, I say, "and can you believe it, I still get more dates than you." (Sometimes I'll say something other than date, depending on who it is ;D

Ian

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Was digging pennies from a streamside campground and a fisherman walked up. "You do all that for just pennies, he asked" I replied, "Ya, kinda like catching trout ain't it" He mumbled something sounded like "Smartace."

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle
Most of the time I am in the woods, but when I am on the beach I get " Have you found anything? I tell them I am cleaning the earth one pull tab at a time! I have been detecting since I was twelve years old and could care less what anybody says or thinks about my hobby! I have a good time and thats what matters to me.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
If you really want to get them, pick up some replica Spanish gold pieces, pieces of eight, some costume jewelry that looks like real gold, along with some gold plated rings with CZs. Just reach in your bag, pull out a handful, and tell them you are having an average day. Then follow them to the nearest metal detector dealer.

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I once saw a topic on here where a guy said he was detecting and a man fishing yelled, "I bet when ya bought that machine you thought you'd be rich by now" or something like that. He responded with " when you bought that pole did you think you would open a fish market?" IM sure I'm not quoting exactly..but ya get the idea. HH dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions