Over Run with Coyotes

H

Holly_squirrel

bartholomewroberts said:
Holly: With respect, yes, I would like you to tell me how WE are destroying the earth.. I live in a very tiny community. ^here comes the standard joke... HOW TINY`.. well we are so tiny that I still have dial up internet service... I do not know if you have heard of the term `100 mile diet`.. Well up here, we have the 100 foot diet. My wife and I raise all our own food in the gardens, we generate our own power from our river,shoot our meat, venison, in our fields, raise our own chickens and turkeys cook on our wood stove, heat the house with wood.... well you can get the idea. We also use one of our ponies in the cart to go to our local general store for the occasional shopping foray I am also a machinist... so what parts for our equipment are needed, generally, I will make . I vermin proofed our property by putting farm fence around the whole acreage.. The coyotes that come onto our property are down.... every one of them. I have had them kill some of my livestock... I have even had a pack stalk me at one point. I also had a cougar stalk me grandson.. but that is a whole nother story. The point of this rather long ramble is.... my wife and I are pretty low impact, if that is the term, on the planet. City life does not work for me. Personally, I feel that city living is a real problem.. If more people lived off the land, there would be less difficulties. Anyway, suffice it to say that we will agree to disagree... I do not feel that WE are the cause of the worlds problems... And again, I have no problems with downing any coyote.

You are a very tiny part of the population , I was speaking of tbe big picture. Travel a 100 miles from home and you will see how we are destroying the earth.

H

Holly_squirrel

Dizzy Digger, your story to me is painful , yet ends heartwarming ... When you realize an animal is not just a predator or bad or deserves less respect. I grew up in a farm family and do understand the need to protect your animals. Traps will never be okay with me, never. I have possibly the opposite problem. I see a soul in every living creature. It makes for alot of pain, because it causes me awful helpless saddness to see an animal , any animal in distress. If I find an Injured animal tbat is beyond help, I can even muster the nerve to shoot. But for me it's a sacrifice , it goes against every fiber in my being to pull a trigger and end a life.. But I'd rather I suffer than see an animal suffer in pain. Ever since I was a kid, when I'm in public I have to force myself to not pick up worms, after a rain, that make it onto tbe sidewalk and are bound to get dried out or smashed. Till this day I will "accidently " drop my keys so I can bend over and pick up a worm in need of rescue... Lol. It pains me greatly to turn a blind eye to suffering

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, and love that Carlin episode.... and I find it very true. I live in the Kootenays in B.C. and like you find that the blackies are far more dangerous that pretty much any of our other animals. A grizz... well it is predictable in itsè ferocity.. A blackie.. well you just never know. I have a guide friend who has had far more problems with blackies than any Grizz... Cougars are also making their presence felt.... there are a lot more deer to feed on... Wolves are starting to make their presence felt up here too... and yes.. when I see them (very rare.. they are clever!!), I will knock one down. The dairy farmer in our valley has lost a huge number a calves to wolves. Coyotes are becoming a plague up here. Deer, elk, family pets, even people have been attacked by them. They are a true problem.. especially when they pack up. So, we cannot just leave them be.. it cannot be done to a plague. I knock one or two down... the rest stay clear for a spell. And I am fine with that.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
volcano eruptions far outdistance carbon dioxide emissions every year than humans are capable of. That being said we have no
desire to see our skylines revert back to early 1900 industrial standards. There is no evidence that supports that global warming is man made, or that it is as catastrophic as they claim. If "they" were correct with "their" fake doctrine, we would already be in dire
straights.
Lets look at some of the recently cited culprits of global warming, cows, earthworms, and don't forget the polar bear.
The polar bear? It was not so many years ago that they used the polar bear to make people tear up with guilt for destroying the
earth. Because of course they would be one of the first species to go.
They keep changing the story to fit their needs, they believe that no one remembers what they said yesterday, last week
or even years ago. Unfortunately they are correct, for the most part. The indoctrination really kicked into high gear when I attended high school, I can hardly fathom the crap they teach the kids nowadays.

Coyotes are vermin, cute, yet vermin still. I like yotes, although if I lived in a area where they were a problem for me
I would take them down. This bleeding heart syndrome, is all an integral part of the vast indoctrination. Which in the end paints
our forefathers as bad bad men, completely ignoring the fact that we have more freedom than anyone ever has had on earth.
Freedom slipping from our grasp every day, through education(lack thereof) and media.

If we look close, all things are in relevance according to Liberty and the loss of such.

H

Holly_squirrel

bevo said:
volcano eruptions far outdistance carbon dioxide emissions every year than humans are capable of. That being said we have no
desire to see our skylines revert back to early 1900 industrial standards. There is no evidence that supports that global warming is man made, or that it is as catastrophic as they claim. If "they" were correct with "their" fake doctrine, we would already be in dire
straights.
Lets look at some of the recently cited culprits of global warming, cows, earthworms, and don't forget the polar bear.
The polar bear? It was not so many years ago that they used the polar bear to make people tear up with guilt for destroying the
They keep changing the story to fit their needs, they believe that no one remembers what they said yesterday, last week
or even years ago. Unfortunately they are correct, for the most part. The indoctrination really kicked into high gear when I attended high school, I can hardly fathom the crap they teach the kids nowadays.

Coyotes are vermin, cute, yet vermin still. I like yotes, although if I lived in a area where they were a problem for me
I would take them down. This bleeding heart syndrome, is all an integral part of the vast indoctrination. Which in the end paints
our forefathers as bad bad men, completely ignoring the fact that we have more freedom than anyone ever has had on earth.
Freedom slipping from our grasp every day, through education(lack thereof) and media.

If we look close, all things are in relevance according to Liberty and the loss of such.

I assume this is directed at me. Where I grew up it was farms as far as the eye an see... Greed goobled up tbe land and Covered it with McMansions. Call me a bleeding heart all you like, I really don't care what you call me to be honest .

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
straights.

Well said, coyotes are nothing to take lightly. They will torment and play with a victim for a while before finally killing it. They are in reality a very dangerous and aggressive animal. Bevo is correct they will stalk and attack people. My wife will tell you a story about jogging with a friend of hers one night on our road (dirt dead end) and having one stalking the two of them in the woods...

H

Holly_squirrel

Perhaps jogging at night on a dirt road , a dead end, along the forests edge isn't the brightest idea either.... I'm just saying.. Lol. She all but tied a steak around her neck. We forget, that just because we think we are superior , we arnt eliminated from the food chain. I wouldn't go dip my toes in a croc infested swamp at night either. Or sit down by a bear's den to read a book. Perhaps the amazing part is how rare it is for us to actually be attacked . The coyote is suppose to rationalize between a human jogging and a deer running? If we are the more intelligent ones, we need to think alittle before we do things... We do share this earth , wether some like it or not.

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Holly, the point is they are invasive. I don't think we should have allow predators into our areas with no controls put on them. You seem to be a kind person and I understand how you feel about animals as I love them to. But I love my family and pets more. Do you think my eight year old son should have to run to the house when getting out of the car? Do you think I should have to guard my dog with a shotgun so it can go outside to the bathroom? It's very simple, I see a coyote on my land or in our development it is going to die. I want my son to live.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i cannot blame an animal for trying to survive as nature gave it the means to do. They are trying to survive just like us. If one threatens me then I would defend myself. So far no problems, and I live in the country too.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
i cannot blame an animal for trying to survive as nature gave it the means to do. They are trying to survive just like us. If one threatens me then I would defend myself. So far no problems, and I live in the country too.
I completely agree. However coyotes getting that close to our homes is a threat in itself...

H

Holly_squirrel

dieselram94 said:
Holly, the point is they are invasive. I don't think we should have allow predators into our areas with no controls put on them. You seem to be a kind person and I understand how you feel about animals as I love them to. But I love my family and pets more. Do you think my eight year old son should have to run to the house when getting out of the car? Do you think I should have to guard my dog with a shotgun so it can go outside to the bathroom? It's very simple, I see a coyote on my land or in our development it is going to die. I want my son to live.

So does your son run to the house from the car? Do you have to take your dog out to pee with a shotgun? Have you seen a coyote in your yard? I'm thinking this is all hypothetical. Your committing it of a crime before its even done anything . We got coyotes that walk through the back field .... I don't let the kids be alone outside at night.... Tbe cats stay inside... The bunnies are in very sturdy secure Spacious cages( 2 feet off the ground). You take precautions . You don't start blasting away

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
true, and especially if aggressive

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Perhaps jogging at night on a dirt road , a dead end, along the forests edge isn't the brightest idea either.... I'm just saying.. Lol. She all but tied a steak around her neck. We forget, that just because we think we are superior , we arnt eliminated from the food chain. I wouldn't go dip my toes in a croc infested swamp at night either. Or sit down by a bear's den to read a book. Perhaps the amazing part is how rare it is for us to actually be attacked . The coyote is suppose to rationalize between a human jogging and a deer running? If we are the more intelligent ones, we need to think alittle before we do things... We do share this earth , wether some like it or not.
Holly, I warned my wife and her friend about jogging at night. We do share the earth but I believe people are more important than a wild animal. Have you researched the coyotes behaviors? Again do you think my eight year old son should have to run from the car to the house because of predators overrunning us? This is reality.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
So does your son run to the house from the car? Do you have to take your dog out to pee with a shotgun? Have you seen a coyote in your yard? I'm thinking this is all hypothetical. Your committing it of a crime before its even done anything . We got coyotes that walk through the back field .... I don't let the kids be alone outside at night.... Tbe cats stay inside... The bunnies are in very sturdy secure Spacious cages( 2 feet off the ground). You take precautions . You don't start blasting away
Holly, I see you responded before I finnished posting. Yes I have had turkeys killed by coyotes in my yard on the septic field 50 feet from my door...

H

Holly_squirrel

We got hawks everywhere , that could kill a small dog or cat, we got raccoons that come eat on the porch at night... Potentially one could have rabies. We got foxes that pass on the mange to dogs in the area. The deer eat our gardens.... Should we just nuke Tbe countryside? Lol. It's part if living in the country. If you get a rouge coyote that is showing aggression or is stalking your yard or your pets... Then yeah , sadly you may have to do something about it.... But till then .. Live n let live

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shoot I don't blame them, I love turkey!

OP
OP
C

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I think my point was that the populations of things (predators) seems to be getting out of hand. I absolutley adore the sound of coyotes yipping in the mountains and when I was a youngster would listen to them for hours on end. At that time they has not infested our cities and eradicted the pheasant, duck, quail and deer populations not to mention the thousands of dogs and cats eaten by them. I know for a fact they eat cats my cat was picked up and carried off my porch screeching I ran outside and threw a rock at the coyote and it dropped my cat who was covered in saliva and shaking from fright. Look around were you live have you noticed the huge amounts of skunks, they eat dog and cat food and are all over the place. I believe in all things in moderation. So lets harvest the coyotes, skunks and mountain lions not all of them but a lot and we can enjoy our dogs cats , deer, pheasant and duck population too. If you dont believe in moderation well when its your child killed or bitten you have no one to blame but yourself.

H

Holly_squirrel

dieselram94 said:
Holly, I see you responded before I finnished posting. Yes I have had turkeys killed by coyotes in my yard on the septic field 50 feet from my door...

Well ummm I throw old eggs n carcasses in tbe back field and they eat that too. But they leave my protected bunnies alone... Now if to get to the turkeys they tore through wire and And dug under the 2 foot sunken underground fencing that is needed to protect chickens n such from predators ... Then yes you have cause for alarm. If the turkeys were free roaming, what did u expect?

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's no doubt a problem depending on where one lives. In Indiana there is plenty of food for them, so I have heard of no aggression. I have had one lope across my field and hear them often down by the creek. But I go out at night with no fear. ( course I am fearless) If one ever acted the least aggressive I would handle it. I have more problems from opossum. What are we gonna do about them??

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
We got hawks everywhere , that could kill a small dog or cat, we got raccoons that come eat on the porch at night... Potentially one could have rabies. We got foxes that pass on the mange to dogs in the area. The deer eat our gardens.... Should we just nuke Tbe countryside? Lol. It's part if living in the country. If you get a rouge coyote that is showing aggression or is stalking your yard or your pets... Then yeah , sadly you may have to do something about it.... But till then .. Live n let live
Holly, I agree live and let live. Don't get me wrong I love animals and no we should not nuke the countryside. However we are talking about coyotes and they are very heartless and opportunistic. Ever since they introduced the wild turkeys into my area the turkey population has exploded and as a result so have the coyotes. I used to feel the same way as you about controlling the coyote population, but then I had a son. Please don't blame me for wanting to protect my son...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread