Hurricane IRMA check in thread

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone know and know how Capt Ralph Delph and family of Key West are doing? Ralph is a good friend but I lost contact with him when he headed back to Key West some years ago after getting shot by one of his clients on a hunting trip in Montana. Ralph was a Fishing Guide in Montana during the off-season for fishing in Florida waters, then he became a Hunting and Fishing Guide when he took semi-permanent residence in Montana. After recouping from being shot, I believe he did a little bit of guiding for fishing but was leaning towards going back to Key West. That was the last I heard from him, the best Fisherman and Fishing Guide/Boat Captain & Mate I ever met. If you run into him, tell him that Frank Ferrell says hi.

Frank

Boy, do I feel stupid. After doing some searching, I found that Ralph went to the great fishing waters in Heaven on February 13, 2016. I am very sad to learn this and he is surely missed by all who knew and met him. Although he has passed on, I still wonder if his wife Caroline, their children and grandchildren are okay and especially so if they were in Irma's path.

Frank

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, do I feel stupid. After doing some searching, I found that Ralph went to the great fishing waters in Heaven on February 13, 2016. I am very sad to learn this and he is surely missed by all who knew and met him. Although he has passed on, I still wonder if his wife Caroline, their children and grandchildren are okay and especially so if they were in Irma's path.

Frank
Ah Crud We all have that to look forward to.

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dell's Paypal address is :
[email protected]
That, I believe would also be his email address.
His physical mailing address is...
[h=3]Dell Winders
1153 Shady Cove Rd E
Haines City florida
33845 ( I believe)[/h]Thanks, folks. I know Dell will appreciate any help he might get. I'm not a fan of the free lunch, but I am sure that Dell would help anyone that needed help if he could.
Dell..if you see this, post up a good story or two to give folks a little insight into what you've been doing for the last 50 or 60 or 70 years.

Bill, thank you for posting this, I will get some to him right away. But my concern is how will he be able to get the food and meds without a running vehicle? Is there anyone there to help him with this?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, thank you for posting this, I will get some to him right away. But my concern is how will he be able to get the food and meds without a running vehicle? Is there anyone there to help him with this?
Pretty sure Money is the key issue here!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I know I hate threading them belts by myself and usually need help getting it over the tensioner, but whaddaya expect from a girl, lol.
I'm pretty much technologically neutered where I currently am..... (no access to secure connections), thanks for picking up the slack guys.....

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't see why they keep people from their homes. That's mostly the reason people don't want to leave in the first place, with everything they own in the world unsecured.
It's not like they are inspecting each and every house before entrance for safety.
They tried that here during the big Hayman fire but it didn't work, people just drove right on through and said arrest me haha. No one got arrested.
I would be one to have a hard time leaving my home, I can understand that for sure.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Johnny, it is hard leaving things you worked hard and slaved for...... but, when those things turn against you and try to kill you, it's fight or flight mode and usually easier to just run like he//!
My home has tried to kill me before, lol, just can't predict where blowed apart splintering wood will end up, or what it will pierce....
One does the best one can, and has to resort to allow his/her brain (to eventually) ACCEPT that, and just keep moving forward.
Life matters most.....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Johnny, it is hard leaving things you worked hard and slaved for...... but, when those things turn against you and try to kill you, it's fight or flight mode and usually easier to just run like he//!
My home has tried to kill me before, lol, just can't predict where blowed apart splintering wood will end up, or what it will pierce....
One does the best one can, and has to resort to allow his/her brain (to eventually) ACCEPT that, and just keep moving forward.
Life matters most.....

Pat,

Folks in areas that get hit by Hurricanes have tried just about everything thought of to keep their' homes secure an intact. I wonder if anyone ever tried wrapping their' home with the Pallet Wrap Plastic that is used to hold boxes and other items on pallets.:icon_scratch::dontknow::dontknow: Heck, you can purchase some big rolls of heavy gauge wrap and wrap most homes two or three or four times for probably under $200 total. Next threat of a Hurricane, happy wrapping!:tongue3:

Frank

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pat,

Folks in areas that get hit by Hurricanes have tried just about everything thought of to keep their' homes secure an intact. I wonder if anyone ever tried wrapping their' home with the Pallet Wrap Plastic that is used to hold boxes and other items on pallets.:icon_scratch::dontknow::dontknow: Heck, you can purchase some big rolls of heavy gauge wrap and wrap most homes two or three or four times for probably under $200 total. Next threat of a Hurricane, happy wrapping!:tongue3:

Frank

Hahaha, I gotta an old shed, only thing holding it together is the rust. I had honestly thought about that idea! LOL. Wrap that sucker like a truck pallett.
I did wrap some inside stuff and secure them in locking cases, figured maybe they'd be found if......
I just couldn't pack everything in the house,
but I tried to.......

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Pat,

Frank

Funny you should mention that, I did see a car that was wrapped in plastic, the same as used to wrap large pallets! Not sure how it did through the storm but someone resorted to giving it a try!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny you should mention that, I did see a car that was wrapped in plastic, the same as used to wrap large pallets! Not sure how it did through the storm but someone resorted to giving it a try!

Anything is worth a try! Heck, if I still lived there and was worried that the winds would throw my' car through the air to an unknown location, I would probably hook a bungee cord to it, so that it would come back.:laughing7:

Frank

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm back online. Still digging and cutting my way through the debri. Still no power or Internet. But finally cell phone service. Definatly a storm to remember for me. Checked a couple treasure spots with no luck yet. Getting some incredible hard woods for the saw mill though. Including a mega ton mahogany log that's 20 ft long x 36 inches across. Our first big mega dollar tree of the storm. Should be many more. We will be busy milling these trees into lumber for a while.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad your ok!

Do you know what "special problems" the government is dealing with in the keys?
Thats what a news report said.

Last edited:

Bigfox

Apr 20, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my wife and I are new to metal detecting, we've had a metal detector for a while but just never used it, I joined this group years ago and forgot I had, you say treasures after a hurricain is when to go, well me and the wife loaded up our detector and drove 8 hours, we are going to be there in the morning and start hitting the beaches all weekend, do you have any tips for us??

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
my wife and I are new to metal detecting, we've had a metal detector for a while but just never used it, I joined this group years ago and forgot I had, you say treasures after a hurricain is when to go, well me and the wife loaded up our detector and drove 8 hours, we are going to be there in the morning and start hitting the beaches all weekend, do you have any tips for us??

Welcome to Treasure Net! It has been many years since I metal detected any Florida beaches but most Public beaches can be hunted from the high water line to the low water line or water's edge. Sometimes, the high water line can be from the base of sand dunes but do not metal detect in the sand dunes themselves as most contain Sea Oats which are protected and the sand dunes are off-limits. If you wish to hunt private beaches, then you have to get permission from the property owner or owners. After the passing of a Hurricane, there are always possibilities of significant finds that have washed in from shipwrecks or have been washed out of the sand dunes into the legal area for metal detecting. Also, look for beach washouts where big chunks of the main sand has been washed away as this could have somewhat uncovered some deeper targets that were could not be previously located due to their depth. I am sure a few other folks will come in and post more information but it may take some time due to it being late and many are still dealing with problems created by Irma.

Good luck and be safe!

Frank

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Know the rules and don't infringe on private property. Everyone is sensitive right now due to major losses. Don't get yourself arrested. You are an outsider. Just be careful

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just got back from Aquanut's place in Ft. Myers. The eye went right over his mobile home park. It's a mess. Some mobile homes lost their roof, some were untouched. It's weird. John has minimum damage but no power, no internet but he does have a generator. All the gas stations down there are out of gas. We waited in line for 2 hours to get gas at the only station that was open. Here is a pic of John's neighbor.

DSCN3928.JPG DSCN3923.JPG

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Those who live in the flooded area of the St Johns River and connecting lakes are visits from our gator and moccasin reptilian neighbors, and the occasional gar and bass fish.

liverock

May 23, 2008
140 hours....later...

and just like that.....we have power again! Two guys in a power truck from ohio showed up today on the street.....they have been working nonstop...and had that look....

He said, easy one.....30 minutes and I will have your power back on....

I should have been a lineman LOL....
spin2.gif

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread