Bazooka sniper or prospector. Which should I buy?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just got my 36 inch BGT sniper and cannot wait to give it a go. I have a AM recon, which I love, but my back is ready to not have to classify so much. Kevin, thanks for the advice on how to setup properly - first couple times out with new gear is always an adventure.
my pleasure, feel free to ask more questions if you struggle at all. Remember to try running it steep and deep (steep slope and deep in the water) to see how that works and to learn the optimum operating range for your new tool. It's gonna be great!

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking at the Bazooka site, you can order the Prospector with the regular or big grizzly. The big grizzly does not only have slightly wider spacing, they are also an inch longer than the regular grizzly. Any opinions of which grizzly might work better? There is also an option to get either regular or heavy weight, I'm leaning towards the heavy weight (an extra two pounds) because I'm fairly brutal with my equipment but I would like to here other's opinions on that option as well. Kevin, Goldenmojo, your input would be appreciated, thanks!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you see yourself doing any 32 degree or lower mining, I would go with the heavy duty option, just to be safe! Any way about it, both options are great!!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I'm not either of them two but:
I'd say the hwhg is the way to go. You'll be surprised how durable the BGT is. I'm very hard on mine as well.
48 HWHG prospector

What size BGT are you looking at? How big is the material you will work on average do you think? Big gold or little gold?

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the large grizzly and heavy duty box on my 30" prospector. Glad I did, once set up I shovel like a madman and don't worry about beating it up.

BGT in action on the Yuba. I had it setup a little flat but the finger test in the fluid bed felt right.

6-2014 007.JPG

And a little color in the box

6-2014 014.JPG

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice set up and color there, Hemisteve. Larger stuff than I usually see here in Colorado. Gotta love that Bazooka! Thanks for the photos.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the prospector I agree the heavy duty plastic is a good choice. For the Sniper the regular duty plastic is fine. The thicker grizzly bars are nice, less likely to bend if abused I think. Having owned Two Prospectors: one regular duty and one heavy duty, I would definitely buy heavy duty!

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
425Jesse and HemiSteve, no intention to leave anyone out of the discussion, I've just followed Kevin and Goldenmojo (Prospector70, you should have been included) on this forum for a while and trust their opinions but I appreciate everyone's opinion. So bigger all the way around, that's what I was leaning towards. As far as what I work and where, I live in the motherlode of California, the politics stink but the gold is all shapes and sizes and all over the place. I intend to work a cobble field with boulders up to washing machine size. I'm going for the the 36" Prospector and I'm trying to be real good and get a Sniper as well (think it would be fun chasing the back end of storms on some of the small ravines around here that only flow for a few days a year). Thanks again for everyone's input, it's going to be a Merry Christmas.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I too follow the wise ways of Kevin, 70, and mojo. Heavy pans!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking at the Bazooka site, you can order the Prospector with the regular or big grizzly. The big grizzly does not only have slightly wider spacing, they are also an inch longer than the regular grizzly. Any opinions of which grizzly might work better? There is also an option to get either regular or heavy weight, I'm leaning towards the heavy weight (an extra two pounds) because I'm fairly brutal with my equipment but I would like to here other's opinions on that option as well. Kevin, Goldenmojo, your input would be appreciated, thanks!

spillercanyon I think you will do well with a bazooka. If you run a small BGT like the sniper or supermini you can go with regulay weight and it will work. The prospector and above you want heavy weight. My prospector is a liteweight had to be purposely be tossed 12' down onto the rocks recently due to running out of trail. It survived well only snapping loose a fin on the plate past the grizzly. It is just flapping around now but still works great. If you are going to be packing in and hitting small ravines and creeks I would suggest the sniper due to weight. It will work for production, sampling sluice and is easier on the back when packing. If you will always have great flow and a plac e to shovel non stop the prospector or up series is better. Good Luck. Feel free to PM as needed.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A little ABS glue will do the job on that crack Mojo...had the same issue on my regular weight Prospector but an easy fix :)

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking about fixing it but I am currently using it as a watervane...

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking about fixing it but I am currently using it as a watervane...

:laughing9:

Yes the prospector fins are easy to break. A 5 gallon bucket will bend them in causing weakness. Drop or squeeze them wrong and they will break. I used JB weld and some custom fabricated plastic (cough; Folgers can:piratehand:) to repair and reinforce all four.

I also heated and shaped a couple of buckets using a heat gun to fit better and not bind on the fins in the bucket. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
...or just choose the heavyweight version of the Bazooka :)

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap, I'll be more careful with mine then. I've been treating it like it was indestructible lol. But then again, I have the HW. I am careful when it's freezing cold though...

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I treat mine as indestructible also and basically it takes a lot of abuse. I loaned mine to a friend recently and he was rock climbing a trail to nowhere. When he got there he had to toss the bazooka down 12' onto a cobble bar along with all his other equipment to be able to back track. For as far as it fell and what it landed on it did quite well.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took mine out for a nice ride in it's sluice hauler today for a couple hours scouting a local creek.
Beautiful walk, no gold. Lots of black sand though. one of those "restoration" project creeks where it's all man mad and big stagnant pools. Enjoy your skeeters idiots! lol

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At least your BGT got to see the sights. You are a very considerate owner not leaving it at home.......

The Gilded Lens

Oct 13, 2014
The Sierra Nevadas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 14" Pan, Garrett 15" Super Sluice Pan, Bazooka 36" Sniper,
Hand Dredge
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took mine out for a nice ride in it's sluice hauler today for a couple hours scouting a local creek. Beautiful walk, no gold. Lots of black sand though. one of those "restoration" project creeks where it's all man mad and big stagnant pools. Enjoy your skeeters idiots! lol

LOL!!!!!! I needed that laugh P70. Know what you mean about stagnant man made. Bummer about getting skunked on the gold!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!!!!!! I needed that laugh P70. Know what you mean about stagnant man made. Bummer about getting skunked on the gold!

Naw, skunked is fine. Now I don't have to drive by that creek every day and wonder "what if". :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread