Got out a little today....................

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be able to get out a little this weekend, We are having some pretty good storms this week so I will see what comes up.
We have had high winds, rain... (Got 4" of rain last night).... and surf conditions are high as well.

Maybe I will find that pot-o-gold the rainbow left behind.....:laughing7:

The magical pot of gold follows the rainbow. You must dig fast and furiously!

Good luck on your adveture!

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
The magical pot of gold follows the rainbow. You must dig fast and furiously!

Good luck on your adveture!

So that's what I've been doing wrong.......:BangHead:...:laughing7:

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to my beach today......

We have been having a pretty good storm these last few days and the beach is starting to look like it might be worth working again however not today....

Surf was up pretty high and conditions less than pleasant. The tides were not ideal either so you really have to keep an eye on the ocean ....

We have along this coast what we call sneaker waves, they have caught many an unwary tourist by surprise and the results are not always good.. We have had lives lost from them.

Hope to be able to get out there in the coming week however.

Thank's for dropping by, have a great week.

IMG_0128.jpg IMG_0131.jpg IMG_0130.jpg

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful out there. A father and 3 year old were lost..... sneaker wave around Curry/Coos area.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You bet.... I had one come up to about 20 feet of me today but since I was just there observing conditions it was no surprise.
Conditions were definitely not conducive to working today.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As you can see the surf has been pounding against the sea wall and into the upper grass line.

IMG_0127.jpg

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is serious stuff so knowledge and common sense goes a long way. Many years ago I had my windows taken out of my boat on the Rogue river bar when an unpredictable sneaker wave appeared and I can tell you I'm "lucky" to be here today.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What causes a sneaker wave? Seems like a mini tsunami, just caused by tidal/wind forces?

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
What causes a sneaker wave? Seems like a mini tsunami, just caused by tidal/wind forces?

That's a good question...
When I used to commercial fish out of this little coastal town we had to cross the bar each day out and back in.... going out was not usually the problem... Getting back in could be an adventure..

The ocean waves roll in what we called sets and depending on a number of factors that could vary.. When we were waiting just outside the mouth of the river to get in we would count the sets and wait for the lull then run like a mother to get across the bar hoping we would be in the deep channel before the next large wave of the new set would catch us.

Now a sneaker wave is when a series of waves tend to mingle while still offshore and the wave energy kinda combines to make a single larger than normal wave.
As this wave gets into shallower water the pressure continues to build and the wave develops into the large sneaker. There are more factors to these freaks waves and I am not a hydrologist so my understanding ins't complete BUT I know to keep an eye on the ocean, they can happen at any time....

There are also large offshore sneaker waves as well but the usually call them Rogue waves... On the eastern coast of South America is an area renowned for them and has taken many very large ship down.

Here are a few links to sneaker and rogue waves.

Washington's Coast: Hazards - Sneaker Waves

What are Sneaker Waves? (with pictures)

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the danger from the sneaker waves because of the logs that are found on your beaches? In that video, I could see the logs rolling people over. We rarely see wood on our beaches in SoCal and I've never heard of sneaker waves. I've definitely seen the random big ass waves that hit the beach now and again, surfers love them. But I can see them being a completely different story if they were a moving log jam.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Socal has some pretty broad beaches but in areas where there are bluffs close to the surf then those "random ass big waves" are a serious hazard especially at high tide. People are in danger of being swept off their feet, maybe into the rocks at the base of the bluff or at the surf line then into the sea to drown. It's not necessarily what's floating on the water it's the unrelenting power of water.

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the driftwood logs come down the rivers during a flood event and some come from who knows where as they get caught in the Japanese current. A single log near the surf line is something to stay away from as the "set" of larger waves comes in and rolls the log. If one is standing on a log or the log rolls over you then you have to deal with what the log has done to you as well as the surge of the water. Some drown while trying to rescue a victim. Take care.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same can happen on the Great Lakes. Wave periods are shorter and they can pop up faster. You can also get seiche waves or mini tides, from the lake sloshing back and forth due to a storm. One of the big blows blew the water out of Saginaw Bay for a mile. One time charter fishing, we had 5 footers, and then we got pounded by a 13 footer. Way back when, Chicago got hit by a 20 footer and killed a bunch that got washed off a breakwater.

You never turn your back to the Great Lakes!

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Is the danger from the sneaker waves because of the logs that are found on your beaches? In that video, I could see the logs rolling people over. We rarely see wood on our beaches in SoCal and I've never heard of sneaker waves. I've definitely seen the random big ass waves that hit the beach now and again, surfers love them. But I can see them being a completely different story if they were a moving log jam.

Between getting yourself rolled over by a log and pinned, there are also rip tides that are a part of the sneaker wave... if you got pulled in by the wave a rip tide can then pull you out into the deeper water where additional currents will make it very difficult to swim against and return to shore.... We lose people every year along the coast from such events.
The beach is a beautiful place but you must keep an eye on the ocean for the little surprises it can present.

Speaking of the beach.... It was a fantastic day today but the tides were all wrong. the high even though it was a lower high than the last several days still was too high to be able to get out and work the beach.... So it looks like I will have to wait till next weekend for more favorable tides and hope the weather cooperates as well.

The surf was coming right up to the cobble and the occasional higher wave would come well into the cobble so no place to set and I sure can't pull the cart over the rocks.

IMG_0136.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Reran some old cons I had laying around since the day was so crappy I figured I may as well do something constructive......
Another good reason to keep them and go through them again..... Some of the material was from Nome and the rest ws from my little beach near home. I still have more to go through tomorrow.....:hello2:

1 fast clean.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I got a little energy back and went out to finish the cleanup.....
Here it is. I'll let it dry out and attempt to weigh it in a little while, may be tomorrow.

IMG_0161.jpg

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Remember.... This is the stuff that normally just gets tossed because you thought you had it all cleaned up.....
Also remember this is beach gold.... -100 and finer.... I have recovered -325 also.
Also this is from 3 gallons of cons that have already been "cleaned".
And the weight is in......

A whopping ..... 5 grain, which comes to about 11 bucks..... better than throwing it in the driveway.....:dontknow: And it really didn't take long to clean it up.
There is still a tiny bit of non magnetics in it so nock off a grain and call it good enough @ 9.31 at current spot of 1218.80

View attachment 1410523

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread