Garrett Infinium, ATX
Nokta AU Gold, Racer, Simplex, legend
Minelab Explorer SE
Tesoro Lobo ST, Tejon, Compadre
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DannyB1954 the same guy that made that video about the lobo had a shootout with 4 migrate machines including the f 19 AT pro, nokta fors core and the old Vaquero and none of them beat the Vaq and only one the Fors core held its ground. That video opened a lot of eyes on a lot of forums. Modern metal detectorists who started detecting in the age of TID and notch and other bells and whistles think that is what they need to succeed. It all comes down to disc and tone. The better the disc to get rid of the trash and let you know the good target is there the better the machine. I set my tesoros at the notch just before nickel and dig it all. This gives me a 60/40, 50/50 trash to treasure ratio in which I can walk away confident I got everything from the area I am hunting. No one is saying they are the best but they have there place and that's what matters.

I found the link for those who have their interest perked.
One thing would be nice for his test garden would be a coin surrounded by a few pull tabs. That is more park like conditions. Relics1864 does a lot of good Tesoro videos as well, but then again no pull tabs.

Last edited:

Welgund

Aug 27, 2014
Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX 3030, CZ-6a, CZ 5, Tesoro Vaquero, Mojave, Fisher F75 Ltd2, MXT Pro, Makro Multi Kruzer, Deeptech VGG
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up Tabmans posts for one called "why I swing a tesoro Vaquero in this forum

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't wait till December 31st 23:59.59s 2015, then we can put this thread to rest.
Maybe not. I have a Minelab 705 detector, which is very hard for me to learn. I am going to purchase a Tesoro in April or May, but have not make up my mind which model to purchase for deep single coins and very deep for bury treasures in Connecticut.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, DFX, V3i. TDI SL
Fischer F-75, F-19, CZ7a Pro.
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look up Tabmans posts for one called "why I swing a tesoro Vaquero in this forum

Thanks. That was the first pull tab board test I ever seen. We are getting off topic, so maybe I will start another thread about the pros and cons of the present tesoro machines.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tick tock , tick tock.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a claim? I hope there is gold in it. I thought I asked a question. Actually I did read all of the posts as they happened. Not going to do that twice to satisfy someone else. lots of people here whining about those who dislike Tesoro public relations. even complaints to the moderator about it. After my last post I ordered an 11x8 coil for the Lobo and took it to the park with the 5 3/4 coil I have for it. Discrim was up to 8 and I still got pull tabs. It is going to be strictly a nugget and relic machine from this point on.

You really think videos are a true test for a detector? Good luck duplicating those results in the real world. I prefer to test them in real hunting conditions back to back. My X-terra 505 smoked my Vaquero and brought my old sites back to life. My Omega chews up & spits out the Vaquero, but I only know this because I tried all 3 machines (plus the F2, which made me decide to sell the V) before I realized how much worse my treasure/trash ratio was with the Vaquero. But as they say, YMMV.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really think videos are a true test for a detector? Good luck duplicating those results in the real world. I prefer to test them in real hunting conditions back to back. My X-terra 505 smoked my Vaquero and brought my old sites back to life. My Omega chews up & spits out the Vaquero, but I only know this because I tried all 3 machines (plus the F2, which made me decide to sell the V) before I realized how much worse my treasure/trash ratio was with the Vaquero. But as they say, YMMV.
i will say Atomic. i have been to a few club hunts this season for the first time. one thing i noticed, most of the minelab guy's had there noses right up in the air. they ran these gigantic coils on them with a harness on themselves to hook the machine on because of the weight. had bags and holsters hanging all off of them. in my opinion they looked ridiculous. i just had my vaq, digger, no pinpointer, and put my finds in the big pockets of the military pants i wear. anyhow, they did not find anything more than anyone else did with them. after we all had our machines leaning up against a fence. that vaq, with the stock coil, looked like a little toy next to most of them. i think it did very well considering what it looked like in comparison. i happen to like it. im just not a tesoro fanatic and would not feel blessed if tesoro took a crap on my porch and find a way to justify that they did it. haha

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
You possibly may have had a cold Vaquero. I've owned many Tesoros and some are hotter than others. And of course the X-terras and Omegas are great machines. It looks like Tesoro made a huge marketing blunder by having forum members name the new detector long before it was to come out, if ever. But it did generate 22 pages over the past year on this forum. So if it ever comes out, and I think it will, there will be a lot of people ready to buy it, provided it's not another remake like the Outlaw. I've got a new to me Vaquero with the new ugly colors coming in a few days. I've had two Vaqueros in the past and was very impressed with them. While I own or have owned many detectors over the last 30 years, of all brands, I think I'm going to hang on to this one this time. With all the negativity regarding Tesoro, they do make a great machine.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You possibly may have had a cold Vaquero. I've owned many Tesoros and some are hotter than others. And of course the X-terras and Omegas are great machines. It looks like Tesoro made a huge marketing blunder by having forum members name the new detector long before it was to come out, if ever. But it did generate 22 pages over the past year on this forum. So if it ever comes out, and I think it will, there will be a lot of people ready to buy it, provided it's not another remake like the Outlaw. I've got a new to me Vaquero with the new ugly colors coming in a few days. I've had two Vaqueros in the past and was very impressed with them. While I own or have owned many detectors over the last 30 years, of all brands, I think I'm going to hang on to this one this time. With all the negativity regarding Tesoro, they do make a great machine.

Thats a big problem! There should be consistency and they should all perform the same. Seeing a video that happens to be a "hot" Vaquero fools people into thinking they all work that way. After sending mine back due to the inability to replicate the videos, my V was "retuned" & sent back. Depth was maybe 1/2" better than before but nothing like the videos. Supertuning would get better depth, but now you have a dig-it-all machine because the disc is useless at those extreme sens/thresh settings. I prefer to use low to zero disc & use the tones but that is impossible with the single tone Vaq, unless you want to spin a knob on every target.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
-

Do you have something better for me? I have yet to see a magazine criticize an advertiser. I live in Pahrump. No metal detector stores here. Can you send me your equipment with a return shipping label? Just the Vaquero and Compadre. Have your friends send me an Outlaw, and Tejon please, (again with a return shipping label). Thank you so much in advance.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-

Do you have something better for me? I have yet to see a magazine criticize an advertiser. I live in Pahrump. No metal detector stores here. Can you send me your equipment with a return shipping label? Just the Vaquero and Compadre. Have your friends send me an Outlaw, and Tejon please, (again with a return shipping label). Thank you so much in advance.

I know, I know. I thought I had it all figured out & the Vaquero was thee best. Then I decided to pull out the old F2. Amazed at what I missed with the Vaq, I sold it and bought the Minelab used for $360 with 2 coils. The X-Terra was a bit heavy/unbalanced, & I was excited to try something different, so I traded it for my Omega. No money lost other than my shipping. From now on, I buy used or trade, unless I am sure of how the machine performs. I got screwed by the vids, JMO.

DannyB1954

Nov 29, 2015
Pahrump, Nv.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, ATX
Minelab Explorer SE
Teknetics Omega 8500
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do take everything I see or hear with a grain of salt. There are not many people in my area with metal detectors, so first hand experience is impossible for me. My option is research what I can online, (including Youtube), then buy used,(if possible), on Ebay. If the item does not suit me I then have to sell. This sometimes does not work out well. Typically I buy high, sell low. Shipping, Ebay and Pay Pal fees take a bite out of things as well.
There are a number of people doing honest evaluations on Youtube. I don't rely on a single source. Anyone can put out a spoof video like the one where someone cuts open a car battery and a hundred AA batteries fall out.

There may be a business opportunity here for someone to rent different detectors at a decent rate. Try before you buy type of thing. One might be able to contract decent shipping rates as a business.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Every machine is hand tuned and tested before it is put in the box - I've stood there and watched the process. "Hot" and "Cold" machines from the Prescott facility are a myth - period.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Could be hot or cold users. Sometimes your hot and sometimes your not. Don't know.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will say Atomic. i have been to a few club hunts this season for the first time. one thing i noticed, most of the minelab guy's had there noses right up in the air. they ran these gigantic coils on them with a harness on themselves to hook the machine on because of the weight. had bags and holsters hanging all off of them. in my opinion they looked ridiculous. i just had my vaq, digger, no pinpointer, and put my finds in the big pockets of the military pants i wear. anyhow, they did not find anything more than anyone else did with them. after we all had our machines leaning up against a fence. that vaq, with the stock coil, looked like a little toy next to most of them. i think it did very well considering what it looked like in comparison. i happen to like it. im just not a tesoro fanatic and would not feel blessed if tesoro took a crap on my porch and find a way to justify that they did it. haha

I own Minelabs, I hunt using a harness, I also used the harness With my Whites, Tesoro and Troy detectors.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
Gotta disagree with you there Terry. When I had an Eldorado years ago that got poor depth compared to another one I had, I called Jack at the factory and he told me that it was within specs, but some were hotter than others. So maybe they don't really have a "cold" one that leaves the factory, because it meets their specifications, but some are waaaay hotter than others. That's the nature of an analog circuit-within tolerances, but some better than others.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta disagree with you there Terry. When I had an Eldorado years ago that got poor depth compared to another one I had, I called Jack at the factory and he told me that it was within specs, but some were hotter than others. So maybe they don't really have a "cold" one that leaves the factory, because it meets their specifications, but some are waaaay hotter than others. That's the nature of an analog circuit-within tolerances, but some better than others.

Your sir, are correct! Many have said that some are hot some not so hot. Best bet is to buy 3 or 4 Tesoro's test them, keep the hot one & return the others?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting