Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trying to figure out how a coin can only be detected to 8" in the air, but 10" in the ground. Ground contains minerals that impede detection. Air doesn't. Even GB doesn't get "all" minerals.

Any of the dozen or so detectors I have had, if they air tested further from the coil, they were deeper in the ground.

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree Scott...and that is why I wont buy another Vaquero without "testing" it first....wouldn't mind having another "hot" one. I had fairly "weak" Silver umax that even called Tesoro about. Went 6" max on anything smaller than your hand. I was told this was "average" depth for any VLF detector that they made.....I really like Tesoro machines, but they lost some respect from me there. We all know a Tejon should do way better than 6" on a coin or bullet!

it has been said by someone on here, i won't say who, that turning down your sensitivity down to 6-7 that you will get more depth. air testing a 45 silver dime with my vaquero with sense on 10, disc all the way down, threshold around 2 o'clock, will get 8 1/4 inches. with it on 6-7 even 8, can only get 5-5 1/2 inches. in my small test bed on a 8 inch deep clad quarter, with sense on 10, hits it good. wont hit it at all at 6,7, or 8. starts getting it at 9. i'm not an expert or claim to be. but, i do not see how having sense at 6-7 gets more depth. i only run it that low in a real trashy site.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it has been said by someone on here, i won't say who, that turning down your sensitivity down to 6-7 that you will get more depth. air testing a 45 silver dime with my vaquero with sense on 10, disc all the way down, threshold around 2 o'clock, will get 8 1/4 inches. with it on 6-7 even 8, can only get 5-5 1/2 inches. in my small test bed on a 8 inch deep clad quarter, with sense on 10, hits it good. wont hit it at all at 6,7, or 8. starts getting it at 9. i'm not an expert or claim to be. but, i do not see how having sense at 6-7 gets more depth. i only run it that low in a real trashy site.

Now that sound right. jld. It could be that the person had a Cibola, where he was having issues with mineralization and had to make it less sensitive to calm the detector (or EMI). Then`that comment makes sense. I could never get better depth on either my Bandido II or my DeLeon by reducing sensitivity than having at least a 9-10 or even supertuned.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to figure out how a coin can only be detected to 8" in the air, but 10" in the ground. Ground contains minerals that impede detection. Air doesn't. Even GB doesn't get "all" minerals.

Any of the dozen or so detectors I have had, if they air tested further from the coil, they were deeper in the ground.

I also wondered the same. Many times I have found 9" plus dimes with my F2, but never got more than 6-7" in air tests. Even my with the 4" sniper, I got 8" dimes in ground. This was at sites with mild, moist ground though

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have nailed it with your last comment Scott....."mild, moist ground"......Heavy mineralization or really dry ground will not give the depths of an air test. I think it has to do with the moisture in the soil (or sand) giving the signal a "conductor"??? I am by no means an expert in this area, only stating a somewhat uneducated opinion......lol.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have nailed it with your last comment Scott....."mild, moist ground"......Heavy mineralization or really dry ground will not give the depths of an air test. I think it has to do with the moisture in the soil (or sand) giving the signal a "conductor"??? I am by no means an expert in this area, only stating a somewhat uneducated opinion......lol.

I believe your opinion is correct. The moister soil and lack of mineralization help to increase the conductivity of the copper (clad) coins I assume.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is the halo effect which opens up a whole other can of worms! Some will tell you there is no such thing but I think it is a factor.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is the halo effect which opens up a whole other can of worms! Some will tell you there is no such thing but I think it is a factor.

Oxidation only occurs with ferrous metals. Non ferrous metals doesn't seep into soil. Alloys will if acidic soils are present.

Moist soil activates the salts in the soil that make for a better conductor.

Here is Dave J's take which sounds acceptable.

http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/HaloEffect.pdf

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread