BINGO!! - The Netherlands maps were right - Double Gold

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Hello all,

Still in the Netherlands for the summer. Trip half way over today. Then it's back to the US for RW and CW stuff around Charleston, SC.

Most of the time, I put in all the time and effort to do good research and I turn left when I should have turned right. I choose the field NEXT to the one I should have. I wind up too late and hear about what somebody found. BUT NOT THIS TIME.

I knew the ground was old and thought it was a place where people had conducted some activity for quite a long time. I knew there were interesting things to find but I NEVER expected this.

Yesterday, I decided to take off the WOT coil and use the regular coil in a somewhat trashy spot. Lots of iron blanked signals and a lot of rust signals that I would have to dig. A lot of rusted iron had already come out of the place. Those signals that sound good but as you dig, they turn bad.

I was searching through the area and hearing the iron blanking and then got a signal that was good but strange. Not very strong for the depth estimate. Sort of the "Beep, Beep" you get with some buckles or odd shaped things but different. The signal had no "open" sound like you get when there is a hole in the object. Just a weird sound. It was a good signal swinging at 90 degrees but it would sort of "Beep/Beep" one way and "Beep" the other. Hard to describe - especially with the sounds an e-Trac makes. It was more or less indicative of trash but not really. I played around in the area a bit and came back to it. The signal was one I sometimes walk away from but the numbers on the e-Trac never changed. I had traveled this far and was standing over it. Hard ground or not, I had to dig it.

I took the grass plug out and set it aside. Thing still in the hole. More digging. Still in the hole. The ground was dry but got a little more moist as I hit about 8" as there is a water table in these fields. Right before I hit the mud, the dirt hitting the small pile disintegrated and left this on the top of the pile. I picked it up, dropped all my stuff - headphones, detector, shovel, pin pointer, hat, lunch, and walked all the way across the field to my pack where I had a camera. This was something that I had to have a picture of.

This was the "Beep, Beep". The one place in all the fields shown on the maps and in these pictures where there were two coins sort of stuck together. True heart attack time.

Gotta love the old ground.

Sometimes it not all bad being a blind pig.

Daryl

Attachments

• 2GoldHand.jpg
    2GoldHand.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5,412
  • Both2.jpg
    Both2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5,395
  • Both3.jpg
    Both3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 5,357
  • Both.jpg
    Both.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 5,495
  • Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3,918
  • Map2.jpg
    Map2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 3,827
Upvote 1

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats for the Banner !! Nice coins.

Attachments

• HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 4,334
  • HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    HANDS_CLAPPING.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 4,346

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Professer, I will be back over there in a few years but by that time you and Crusader will have all the gold found. >:( ;D :notworthy:

life_digger

Apr 19, 2010
michigan
Detector(s) used
whites xlt
thats the oldest coin ive ever seen come out of the ground....like to see someone top earlie 1600s gold!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
life_digger said:
thats the oldest coin ive ever seen come out of the ground....like to see someone top earlie 1600s gold!

Dad had one last year 50BC ;D

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is amazing the history you all have at your finger tips.

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I'll put my two cents in (found them in a tot lot)

Outstanding!
Make it a double! I agree with some of the others there may be more where those came from. If not move to another spot while your still hot. If you ever get back around Savannah let me know and I'll come up there and hunt around with you if you'd like some company. I suppose you'll be getting plenty of offers from others as well. Nicely done and what a story to tell. How much more time do you have over there to hunt around? I hope the field owner isn't interested in them at all. Great work on the research and line of thinking. Now when they talk about golden oldies they won't be talking about us older guys. What did the others think when you showed the goods to them? I bet they all bolted for the door and fields~! Beautiful old gold coins. I can't wait to see what else you uncover over there. The earlier posts and finds were enough let alone those nice coins. WAY TO GO!
And you switched over the the other coil, was that a stock coil? We're all happy for you. Is this the best of all your previous hunts overseas? I can just imagine you walking around those fields now with a detector in each hand LOL. It seems like in metal detecting you always find a bit more once you go back to a nice place you've "cleaned out." Once you've finished with that area give it a break but I'd sure go back one more time before you come back home here.
Coin value ??? Excitement of a good hunt ....priceless. Uh, I think you better start packing an extra pair of pants and underwear. .... You might need them. I'll be on the next plane over there .... Now exactly where the heck are you over there? LOL.... I see you've made the banner with that nice couple. I'm very happy for you. WHAT A VACATION or visit your having there. Your not missing anything in the Savannah/Jacksonville area except some rain and a whole lot of hot sun. Thanks for sharing the thrill with us.

JRich

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When I looked at your profile and saw MN as your location, I was wondering if it was a hoax. We have many early Dutch maps of NJ, but I was not aware of any so far west. Then I googled Haarsche Wetering, and I understood!

Congrats on your amazing finds!
Neil

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I think there is more as well. As I say when I am in an area that hasn't been hunted much, you have to kiss a lot of frogs. Meaning you have to dig a lot of crap out before you get the good stuff. I know in some fields here, people will find them and wait a year or so and let people dig out all the lead and rusted iron before they go in to look for the nice coins. This place is like that but I'm going to do my best to kiss all the frogs and find some more nice coins. They have to be there. With the silver coin hoard found last year half a km away, it just makes sense that there would be more.

Yeah, I switched to the stock coil. I have a 5" coil but in a field that size, it was just too small. I like the way the stock coil works and I understand the signals a bit better than the 5" SEF coil.

I haven't shown the coins to the guy I hunt with sometimes. Trying to pick the right time and way. Gotta get some mileage out of it if I can.

I am surprised at the amount of stuff that is in the ground. I have a few places I hit every few days just because they have produced some really nice stuff in the past. I know it has been pounded but I still find coins from the 1600's, buckles, musket balls, thimbles every time I go. I guess with the fields being so big, it is deceptive and you think it has been hunted pretty well 100% but in reality it has not. It's just weird.

I'm here until the end of September and this is all pasture - some grazed and some hayed - so I can hunt it pretty much every day if I want. So I think I will have fun there. Not sure if I'll have this much fun again though.

I spend the summers in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and am hunting around Amersfoort, Utrecht, and Baarn. Take a look on a Google Map. It southeast of Amsterdam. About a 30 minute train ride and the bus takes me right to the fields.

I'll be back in the Savannah area this November. We spend the winters there. We stayed on Tybee for a couple of years, Hilton Head one year, and this year we will be on Edisto Island. Come up anytime. I have some places but most of the time I go out with a guy that has located RW, 1812 War, and CW camps and charges a bit to take you there - http://www.addams-artifacts.com/Site/Addams_Artifacts.html - I've got a few good finds on his site.

So we will see how it goes. Not sure if I am so spoiled now that I'll be ticked it's just a silver coin. :D

Email me in November. I'll be ready to go.

Googling Haarsche Wetering are we??? Notice I didn't let much info show in the map. Can't be giving away my place now can I???

Daryl

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Daryl.
Some nice gold coins you found and no doubt theres more to be found.
roger

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Fantastic coins Daryl!

A really well deserved banner :notworthy:

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an awesome hunt Daryl :icon_king:

2 gold coins in one hunt :headbang: :headbang:

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daryl,

Fantastic finds and two of them ...WOW! You keep telling me I should go to Europe and dig...

Hope you find a bunch more. God Bless

SKD

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jeez Doc,
I just saw this post!
Wooo hooo :hello2:
I haven't had the opportunity to open and read this post.
Someone is surely looking down on you my friend.
That is a great find.
Congratulations on the researched find.
Mike

Hardrock

May 25, 2004
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, with sunray probe,Minelab SE,Eureka Gold
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:Awesome find,good dig for sure.
Doin your homework paid off in a awesome way. WTG :read2: :coffee2: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread