BINGO!! - The Netherlands maps were right - Double Gold

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Hello all,

Still in the Netherlands for the summer. Trip half way over today. Then it's back to the US for RW and CW stuff around Charleston, SC.

Most of the time, I put in all the time and effort to do good research and I turn left when I should have turned right. I choose the field NEXT to the one I should have. I wind up too late and hear about what somebody found. BUT NOT THIS TIME.

I knew the ground was old and thought it was a place where people had conducted some activity for quite a long time. I knew there were interesting things to find but I NEVER expected this.

Yesterday, I decided to take off the WOT coil and use the regular coil in a somewhat trashy spot. Lots of iron blanked signals and a lot of rust signals that I would have to dig. A lot of rusted iron had already come out of the place. Those signals that sound good but as you dig, they turn bad.

I was searching through the area and hearing the iron blanking and then got a signal that was good but strange. Not very strong for the depth estimate. Sort of the "Beep, Beep" you get with some buckles or odd shaped things but different. The signal had no "open" sound like you get when there is a hole in the object. Just a weird sound. It was a good signal swinging at 90 degrees but it would sort of "Beep/Beep" one way and "Beep" the other. Hard to describe - especially with the sounds an e-Trac makes. It was more or less indicative of trash but not really. I played around in the area a bit and came back to it. The signal was one I sometimes walk away from but the numbers on the e-Trac never changed. I had traveled this far and was standing over it. Hard ground or not, I had to dig it.

I took the grass plug out and set it aside. Thing still in the hole. More digging. Still in the hole. The ground was dry but got a little more moist as I hit about 8" as there is a water table in these fields. Right before I hit the mud, the dirt hitting the small pile disintegrated and left this on the top of the pile. I picked it up, dropped all my stuff - headphones, detector, shovel, pin pointer, hat, lunch, and walked all the way across the field to my pack where I had a camera. This was something that I had to have a picture of.

This was the "Beep, Beep". The one place in all the fields shown on the maps and in these pictures where there were two coins sort of stuck together. True heart attack time.

Gotta love the old ground.

Sometimes it not all bad being a blind pig.

Daryl

Attachments

• 2GoldHand.jpg
    2GoldHand.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5,412
  • Both2.jpg
    Both2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5,395
  • Both3.jpg
    Both3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 5,357
  • Both.jpg
    Both.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 5,495
  • Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3,918
  • Map2.jpg
    Map2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 3,827
Upvote 1

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Thats more like it :headbang:

Whats the Law on keeping two together?

"Let no man put asunder". :laughing9:

Most definately a BANNER!!!

Congratulations

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Banner from Chug and Red, Now just get back out there and find the rest of them!!!!!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Minnesota Twins , Dutch coins found in Minn . , fantastic :hello2:

CMD,
The Professor is from Minnesota but is currently in the Netherlands. That is where he found the coins. :thumbsup:
NJ

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awsome find. Do the laws in the Netherlands let you keep what you find? Banner for sure.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations!!!

Gotta vote banner on this one. Must be a thrill just to hold them in your hand, knowing how many hundreds of years they have been in the ground. Little slices of history.

Great job!

Bob

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
The laws in the Netherlands are different from the UK. If I had found these in the UK, I would own half and the farmer would own half. Here, it is up to the farmer how he wants to handle it. A friend I hunt with has found a gold coin on land owned by this farmer. He took it to the farmer and he looked at it and said it was a nice find and handed it back. He is not really interested in keeping anything and he owns so much land the money means nothing to him. He owns several square kilometers of lnd on this farm and has two other farms that are bigger. Money isn't a problem or issue for him. That's good news for me. I will show them to him but I don't expect anything but a "congrats, those are nice" from him.

I look at them and just imagine the story they could tell. And yes, I almost need another pair of pants.

Daryl

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just amazing!! I am on the next train to Europe!! ;D

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Come on over. I'll take you out. There is enough land to hunt for 10 years.

Daryl

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
The laws in the Netherlands are different from the UK. If I had found these in the UK, I would own half and the farmer would own half. Here, it is up to the farmer how he wants to handle it. A friend I hunt with has found a gold coin on land owned by this farmer. He took it to the farmer and he looked at it and said it was a nice find and handed it back. He is not really interested in keeping anything and he owns so much land the money means nothing to him. He owns several square kilometers of lnd on this farm and has two other farms that are bigger. Money isn't a problem or issue for him. That's good news for me. I will show them to him but I don't expect anything but a "congrats, those are nice" from him.

I look at them and just imagine the story they could tell. And yes, I almost need another pair of pants.

Daryl

Whats different about it, other than we would have to hand it in? Its not a Law that its split with the landowner, only that you have a prior agreement. The agreement can be the finder keeps 100%.

So are you saying, the Law allows you to keep them?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner, it was a no brainer, but doesn't always mean it will make it, so well done :thumbsup:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bioprof,

That is a JAW-DROPPING find! Finding two like that, I would urge you to hunt that field hard in the area you found those. One gold coin can be an isolated drop, but two in a hole is a STRONG sign that there may be a cache nearby. The cache itself may be deep in the field, so you may have to take some dirt off the top to even hear it!

What more can I say...I'm speechless.

Thank you for writing such a great account of the finding of these coins.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
I'm not that good with Dutch stuff but these are Dutch Gold Ducats. They were minted from the 13th century until the 16th century as hammered gold coins. As with other precious metal coins, the value was in the gold and the dies were made in the various provinces and there will be a difference sometimes. The coin with the date on the back was minted in the province of West Friesland. Same place as the copper coin I posted earlier. The other is a trade Ducat and may have been minted for export to one of the many trading colonies the Dutch dealt with or owned - like Ceylon.

As far as being different in the UK, all finds under the Treasure act are split 50/50 with the landowner unless you have a written agreement that states otherwise. I guess for most people who are just out asking permission to hunt a place are in the position of having to split everything 50/50 as they most likely have no agreement. Here in the Netherlands, there is no reporting law and so any find can just be taken and kept. I never do that as I always show what I find to the farmer. In my opinion it is the landowners and unless I show it to them and they don't tell me they want it, it's mine to keep.

I am also pretty certain there are more coins there. A friend was hunting the same farm about 1000 yards from this site and found a hoard of 60 silver coins from the 1600's. So it seems there was quite a bit of "money" passing through the area and the way to "put it in the bank" was to bury it. You can believe I'm going back. Dig every signal? You bet.

It's all still like a dream.

Daryl

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
I'm not that good with Dutch stuff but these are Dutch Gold Ducats. They were minted from the 13th century until the 16th century as hammered gold coins. As with other precious metal coins, the value was in the gold and the dies were made in the various provinces and there will be a difference sometimes. The coin with the date on the back was minted in the province of West Friesland. Same place as the copper coin I posted earlier. The other is a trade Ducat and may have been minted for export to one of the many trading colonies the Dutch dealt with or owned - like Ceylon.

As far as being different in the UK, all finds under the Treasure act are split 50/50 with the landowner unless you have a written agreement that states otherwise. I guess for most people who are just out asking permission to hunt a place are in the position of having to split everything 50/50 as they most likely have no agreement. Here in the Netherlands, there is no reporting law and so any find can just be taken and kept. I never do that as I always show what I find to the farmer. In my opinion it is the landowners and unless I show it to them and they don't tell me they want it, it's mine to keep.

I am also pretty certain there are more coins there. A friend was hunting the same farm about 1000 yards from this site and found a hoard of 60 silver coins from the 1600's. So it seems there was quite a bit of "money" passing through the area and the way to "put it in the bank" was to bury it. You can believe I'm going back. Dig every signal? You bet.

It's all still like a dream.

Daryl

Interesting (don't forget a verbal contract is binding in UK Law, just helps if you have a witness as well, thats why Dad & I make agreements together with the farmer). Its very bad practice not to discuss the outcome of any potential treasure prior to hunting, anyone caught out deserves to lose it all in my books. We now mostly operate (but not exclusively) on a signed agreement before we even set foot on the land.

Anyway, sounds like a win/win Law over there!

2 Gold Coins in a day will be a hard act to follow :headbang:

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Yeah, it's different here. Guess it has to be since metal detecting is technically illegal here. So if the landowner wanted, he could have you arrested and take all your stuff if they wanted - at any time and for no reason other than you are detecting. So it wouldn't be a trespass arrest it would be illegal metal detecting arrest. Go figure.

In the UK, I know how much of a hassle it is to export anything so I always give it all to the farmer to keep or do whatever they want with it. The only exception is when I hunt with the Colchester Hunting Club in Essex. All the export stuff is done for me so I keep that. I guess if I ever find anything somewhere else in the UK that is worth anything, I will have to "have a talk" with the farmer and figure out things. I just hunted one UK farm a few weeks ago and the farmer had given a person permission to hunt. That person found a gold Roman Stater - one of 12 that have been found on the farms along the small road by the bay. Since there was no prior split agreement, they agreed to the 50/50 split that is normal. The farmer is now in a bit of a pinch. The guy wanted to keep the coin and the farmer was holding it until he got the 50% of the value placed on it by the museum. The guy sent him the money for the coin and then committed suicide. So the farmer still has the Stater but doesn't know who it really belongs to. Oh well.

Daryl

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
Yeah, it's different here. Guess it has to be since metal detecting is technically illegal here. So if the landowner wanted, he could have you arrested and take all your stuff if they wanted - at any time and for no reason other than you are detecting. So it wouldn't be a trespass arrest it would be illegal metal detecting arrest. Go figure.

In the UK, I know how much of a hassle it is to export anything so I always give it all to the farmer to keep or do whatever they want with it. The only exception is when I hunt with the Colchester Hunting Club in Essex. All the export stuff is done for me so I keep that. I guess if I ever find anything somewhere else in the UK that is worth anything, I will have to "have a talk" with the farmer and figure out things. I just hunted one UK farm a few weeks ago and the farmer had given a person permission to hunt. That person found a gold Roman Stater - one of 12 that have been found on the farms along the small road by the bay. Since there was no prior split agreement, they agreed to the 50/50 split that is normal. The farmer is now in a bit of a pinch. The guy wanted to keep the coin and the farmer was holding it until he got the 50% of the value placed on it by the museum. The guy sent him the money for the coin and then committed suicide. So the farmer still has the Stater but doesn't know who it really belongs to. Oh well.

Daryl
(just being picky, but Staters are Celtic)
Sad story, guess it highlights the importance of a sound understanding. But your right 50/50 is the default as only a few would agree to give up all there claim (specially as they know some might be into the millions)

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Not being picky. I just go by what the farmer says. So what are the big Roman gold coins? I think this one was 83 B.C.

Daryl

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor said:
Not being picky. I just go by what the farmer says. So what are the big Roman gold coins? I think this one was 83 B.C.

Daryl

Aureus or Solidus

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread