BINGO!! - The Netherlands maps were right - Double Gold

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Hello all,

Still in the Netherlands for the summer. Trip half way over today. Then it's back to the US for RW and CW stuff around Charleston, SC.

Most of the time, I put in all the time and effort to do good research and I turn left when I should have turned right. I choose the field NEXT to the one I should have. I wind up too late and hear about what somebody found. BUT NOT THIS TIME.

I knew the ground was old and thought it was a place where people had conducted some activity for quite a long time. I knew there were interesting things to find but I NEVER expected this.

Yesterday, I decided to take off the WOT coil and use the regular coil in a somewhat trashy spot. Lots of iron blanked signals and a lot of rust signals that I would have to dig. A lot of rusted iron had already come out of the place. Those signals that sound good but as you dig, they turn bad.

I was searching through the area and hearing the iron blanking and then got a signal that was good but strange. Not very strong for the depth estimate. Sort of the "Beep, Beep" you get with some buckles or odd shaped things but different. The signal had no "open" sound like you get when there is a hole in the object. Just a weird sound. It was a good signal swinging at 90 degrees but it would sort of "Beep/Beep" one way and "Beep" the other. Hard to describe - especially with the sounds an e-Trac makes. It was more or less indicative of trash but not really. I played around in the area a bit and came back to it. The signal was one I sometimes walk away from but the numbers on the e-Trac never changed. I had traveled this far and was standing over it. Hard ground or not, I had to dig it.

I took the grass plug out and set it aside. Thing still in the hole. More digging. Still in the hole. The ground was dry but got a little more moist as I hit about 8" as there is a water table in these fields. Right before I hit the mud, the dirt hitting the small pile disintegrated and left this on the top of the pile. I picked it up, dropped all my stuff - headphones, detector, shovel, pin pointer, hat, lunch, and walked all the way across the field to my pack where I had a camera. This was something that I had to have a picture of.

This was the "Beep, Beep". The one place in all the fields shown on the maps and in these pictures where there were two coins sort of stuck together. True heart attack time.

Gotta love the old ground.

Sometimes it not all bad being a blind pig.

Daryl

Attachments

• 2GoldHand.jpg
    2GoldHand.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 5,412
  • Both2.jpg
    Both2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 5,395
  • Both3.jpg
    Both3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 5,357
  • Both.jpg
    Both.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 5,495
  • Map.jpg
    Map.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 3,918
  • Map2.jpg
    Map2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 3,827
Upvote 1

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor, those are no doubt the finds of a lifetime.
If we could bottle that feeling we could get rich.
Is this the best hobby in the world or what?

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wooo-Hooo Daryl . . .YOU GO! Congratulations! :thumbsup: Breezie

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
This is an awesome hobby. We are all addicted to the sweet "Beep, Beep, Beep" of a really good target and you NEVER know what the shovel will reveal.

I'm just glad I didn't sign the suckers like I do about half my targets when digging grass and trying to keep my holes small. Now THAT would have made me just sit there and cry. Can you imagine centering the coins with your shovel, losing the target, and then seeing them wrapped around the shovel's point. It happens and it seems to happen to me a lot.

Thanks for the posts. Now I wonder how I can top it????

Daryl

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and finds. Ahh to travel the world and metal detect. That would be the life.
Enjoy the hunts.
TnMtns

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well found, Sir Daryl :notworthy:
I have to say,

sorry, I'm lost for words.
Mike

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Big congrat's on the two beauties and the Banner. :icon_thumright:
"C" Would be doing some fondling with these if found in CE. :laughing7:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BioProfessor,

I'm wondering if these were dug in Europe or if they were dug here...
I have not read all the posts but I did not see where you indicated this...
It shows you live in MN. but you mention a Netherlands map.

So where were you ?????

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Sorry about that. I have been posting about this site and some of the finds for a couple of weeks. So maybe I forgot to say again where I was hunting.

I spend the summers in the Netherlands. In the summer, most of the land that people hunt is in crop. I decided to take a different tactic.

There is a website that allows you to overlay old maps on current places. You can tell what the area was like from the 17th century onwards most of the time. I used these maps to find places that were unchanged since the 17th century. They were pasture then and they are pasture now. Some of the "strips" are grazed and some are hayed. Either way, there is huntable old ground all summer.

So I did all the research to find farms that had this type pasture and got permission to hunt it. Most of this old ground is around Amersfoort and Utrecht. So I have concentrated my efforts there. It is only 30 minutes by train and I can get to most places by bus really easy.

So I am in the Netherlands and digging Netherlands dirt.

Daryl

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats for the banner :thumbsup:

blindpig

Sep 29, 2007
So. Cali
Detector(s) used
Well,.Sometimes ?
Great job make'n the banner there with the Double "Dutch" Gold :icon_thumright:

Now, I can attest to that even a blindpig can find a thing or two in that O' Dutch mud ,....As my cute little Dutch wife has take'n me back there a few times . Yeah , I'm really in hog heaven in those muddy fields there !!
Anyway ,.. I have to agree ,.. isn't all that bad being a Blindpig ,...just as long as you can find a bit of mud to play in ..... Blindpig ... :snorting:

OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Yeah, but that old Dutch mud is pretty much new Dutch concrete right now. We need rain and we need it bad. The only good thing about no rain is that when they hay one of the fields I'm hunting, it doesn't grow back in a week.

Come on over and give me a call. There have to be Dutch relatives to visit.

Daryl

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I logged on just to congratulate you, outstanding!!! HH, Mike

claydog65

Feb 16, 2008
Incredible! Congrats on the find, just wondering what you were looking for while viewing your aerial maps, how can I learn to research like that? I live in a rich historical area of North Carolina but I am ignorant of what ground anomalies, etc. that I should be looking for. Any advise would be so appreciated, Thanks... Claydog65

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread