🥇 BANNER 1652 Massachusetts 6 Pence

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Hello tnetters, I don't post very often, I'm more of a sandbagger! I hunt with Brian W who has posted some of his finds here before. Today we hit an area we've had our eye on for quite some time and it didn't disappoint. An hour into the hunt Bri comes walking down a hill towards me with an incredible button.... I'll wait for him to post that if he chooses to. It was quite a nice button to say the least. Anyway I'd been digging shotgun shell after shotgun shell, flashing, lead pieces, can tops etc. With little light left in the day I found a complete colonial shoe buckle, very nice shape, my day was made, I was happy with just that. The sun was dropping behind the horizon and I was content with my buckle and an undetermined Indian head penny. Just before i was ready to leave I got a decent signal but it was reading only and inch deep, I kicked the leaves and pine needles aside to get to hard earth. I swung the area of bare dirt and the signal was gone. I checked the debris pile of leaves and pine needles... I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the 16! This coin was barely below the surface. Unfortunately I have some light scratches on it from brushing the leaves and pine needles away. I have no idea what variety it is or if it's a counterfeit. Brian told me to post it here and Iron Patch would be the guy to ID it. Anyway, we had a great day and it was amazing to find this coin.

Attachments

• P1020988.jpg
    P1020988.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,128
  • P1020989.jpg
    P1020989.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,143
Upvote 43

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tobias

Greenie
Mar 1, 2011
If someone is good with photo editing they can take the two images and overlay them in the correct scale then automatically fade between the known coin and dug coin. Someone did this for a button that I found and it was very helpful in identifying it.

I can't work out the fading bit in a good way, but here are the areas I mentioned in three side-by-side combos. The found coin is the one on the top/to the left (that image also dictates the maximum zoom level).

date.jpg

treeleft.jpg

nd.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic Find! That will be up top soon.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert in coins... but I'm decent at photoshop... This is about as much as I can contribute, hope it helps!:thumbsup: This is the DUG coin vs. the Variety #17 that Iron Patch supplied above. Seems like there are definite differences in widths of the letters... differences in the (1) that is in the year... but that's just me, again I am NOT an expert.

animated-coin.gif

animated-coin2.gif

OP
OP
T

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Holy Smokes! I guess I have to figure out the process of sending this out and having it graded, cleaned and slabbed. Thanks again for all the folks contributing research to nail this one down, I am presently in the confused, now what do I do phase lol.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am presently in the confused, now what do I do phase lol.

Simple answer. Sit tight and wait! There's nothing to do until you know what you have.

And then once you do, I'll give you my address. ;)

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Simple answer. Sit tight and wait! There's nothing to do until you know what you have.

And then once you do, I'll give you my address. ;)

Very good job of finding this coin... I am so jealous. I am not a coin expert in the least and wish you the best on doing what's best for you and your newfound coin.... NOW... Iron Patch "There's nothing to do until you know what you have. And then once you do, I'll give you my address." Ok Patch... I got a good sense of humor... but darn guy that profile pic does NOT install a lot of confidence in wanting your address. I'm just saying... Just kidding Mr. Patch. You seem to really be counted on for facts and opinions and my hats off to you... And Mr. Fog... Congratulation's on your quick BANNER FIND... it is deserved. Later, Brad

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best advice is sit tight right now, the word is getting out and contacts might be forthcoming. It still has not been attributed by variety or being legit, which I am sure it is, but there is a big difference in value depending upon variety, so hold tight.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the value on that beauty?

And as always, I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge floating around here.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
I can't believe no one asked about my button lol... On a serious note...I have been detecting with Fog over the years...we have found a lot of colonial coins and buckles and buttons.... We always hoped of finding a mass silver ...never expecting one of us will get one....I was 4 feet away from him when he dug this coin... The look of shock when he figured out what he had will be with me forever...Now I know what jealousy feels like...This is a find of a lifetime and I'm glad I was there to witness it....I couldn't be happier for you...Major congrats Fog on the find of a lifetime!

OP
OP
T

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Thanks Bri, and to think my bar has always been to find a 20 cent seated! All the times we took video's of the dig and this time we didn't! lol. No one asked to see my buckle or Indian Head either so don't feel bad about your button. I checked the injun this morning, 187...... wait for it...... 8. DAM! so close, I have no luck. (insert sarcastic grin.)

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow congrats that is too cool! HH

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wav::wav::wav:

Awesome, awesome, awesome coin!

Congrats! Can't wait to find out what variety it is...

Anita

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Was wondering how this got to banner so quick. After reading what the experts have to say, I think I'm in love (with the coin, that is).

TCK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions