🥇 BANNER 1652 Massachusetts 6 Pence

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Hello tnetters, I don't post very often, I'm more of a sandbagger! I hunt with Brian W who has posted some of his finds here before. Today we hit an area we've had our eye on for quite some time and it didn't disappoint. An hour into the hunt Bri comes walking down a hill towards me with an incredible button.... I'll wait for him to post that if he chooses to. It was quite a nice button to say the least. Anyway I'd been digging shotgun shell after shotgun shell, flashing, lead pieces, can tops etc. With little light left in the day I found a complete colonial shoe buckle, very nice shape, my day was made, I was happy with just that. The sun was dropping behind the horizon and I was content with my buckle and an undetermined Indian head penny. Just before i was ready to leave I got a decent signal but it was reading only and inch deep, I kicked the leaves and pine needles aside to get to hard earth. I swung the area of bare dirt and the signal was gone. I checked the debris pile of leaves and pine needles... I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the 16! This coin was barely below the surface. Unfortunately I have some light scratches on it from brushing the leaves and pine needles away. I have no idea what variety it is or if it's a counterfeit. Brian told me to post it here and Iron Patch would be the guy to ID it. Anyway, we had a great day and it was amazing to find this coin.

Attachments

• P1020988.jpg
    P1020988.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,128
  • P1020989.jpg
    P1020989.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,143
Upvote 43

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several things I DO NOT like about what I see. 1st.....The "1" in the date has a top, left point to it. Never seen a Mass. Silver with a "1" like that. Almost looks modern. The first "D" overlaps the straight edge, and some of the letters appear thicker than they should be. Even with wear, I don't think they would flatten out like that. Certain things aren't matching up with a "legit" Mass. Silver. I hope it's real, but I have serious doubts with this one. I would have to see the 17.1, but It's DEFINITELY NOT a 17. Even the "VI" is just totally different.

Last edited:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMGoodness! Outstanding find! Congratulations on finding and making the BANNER! Way to go!!!:thumbsup: Breezie

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool find!!!!!!

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
There are several things I DO NOT like about what I see. 1st.....The "1" in the date has a top, left point to it. Never seen a Mass. Silver with a "1" like that. Almost looks modern. The first "D" overlaps the straight edge, and some of the letters appear thicker than they should be. Even with wear, I don't think they would flatten out like that. Certain things aren't matching up with a "legit" Mass. Silver. I hope it's real, but I have serious doubts with this one. I would have to see the 17.1, but It's DEFINITELY NOT a 17. Even the "VI" is just totally different.

I'm surprised no one commented before about these differences. I'm definitely not qualified to say whether it is real or not but it is definitely not the same die as the coins that it is being compared to. Maybe there is a die that nobody knows about. I sure hope it turns out to be real.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doesn't get much better.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the find, hoping that it will be a variety that is rare.:occasion14:

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the banner. You will hunt that site yearly, for the rest of your life! :notworthy:8-):occasion14::hello2:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! these members are great and figuring everything out especially an item so rare as this. Congratulations on a fantastic find.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandbagger since 2009 , :icon_scratch: that is long time not to find anything to post up a thread :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised no one commented before about these differences. I'm definitely not qualified to say whether it is real or not but it is definitely not the same die as the coins that it is being compared to. Maybe there is a die that nobody knows about. I sure hope it turns out to be real.

Maybe you should read the thread! :laughing7: Not only did we talk about it, and even post pictures, it's part of the main question about it being 17.1. When you do read the thread you will see a big part of the history of Noe 17 was a die clash. This damaged the die and the coins never came out the same again and it seems quite apparent how things might have changed when you see the two 17 types I posted. The big question is at the time of the die clash were they repaired and altered in such away to change the detail slightly to show the slight differences we see on the 17s today, as compared to the dug coin if it is 17.1 and was originally how it should have looked before the die clash. At this point who knows... could be ctft, could be a new variety, but because the detail is so close, and the variety has the die clash history, what makes the most sense to me by process of elimination is it's 17.1. It sure would be great to see a picture of it because you could likely say yes or no in a few seconds given the slight changes that we all agree are there. The coin has been posted in front of people who do have the reference material to most likely get to the bottom of it, but they are just not close to that reference material! Never the less, someone will ID it soon, probably today I would think, so we should find out the answer. Whatever it is, it seems like a period coin so will be a winner no matter what. Not near as many OT sixpences around as I thought before this thread got posted and I started reading about them.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating thread. I feel there are too many similarities for it not to have come from the same dies, just a different state. Either from the original undamaged dies before the clash or I wonder, from a later state with recutting to repair the clashing. It will be interesting to follow to it's conclusion.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating thread. I feel there are too many similarities for it not to have come from the same dies, just a different state. Either from the original undamaged dies before the clash or I wonder, from a later state with recutting to repair the clashing. It will be interesting to follow to it's conclusion.

Apparently there's a good book with the various die states so just a matter of finding someone who has it. That might happen today as one person told Don he might be at the location of his reference material today.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching the postings that some of the C-4 guys that have commented on this coin. The latest, and not definitive as of yet, indicates that it could be a Noe-17 Crosby 4c......"likely a contemporary counterfeit".

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching the postings that some of the C-4 guys that have commented on this coin. The latest, and not definitive as of yet, indicates that it could be a Noe-17 Crosby 4c......"likely a contemporary counterfeit".

But how can it be Noe 17 and a contemporary counterfeit? It's not cast, and someone would be done pretty good to hand cut a die that close. It sounds like they aren't doing much more than we are on here because the answers don't sound real certain.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Latest info I have is it is NOT a Noe 17, but I was not told what it is yet, since the individual wants to get confirmation. That sounds like either very good news or very bad, I go with very good. I will not be able to see when he posts what it is (Dr appt) so someone else will probably see the post before I can report so if they say it is from C4, than it most likely will be legit.... So, standby :)
Don

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw on the C-4 site. Waiting on definitive confirmation, but it appears to be the VERY RARE NOE-17.5....(Dies Re-worked) The 17...17.1...and 17.5, all come from the same dies.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw on the C-4 site. Waiting on definitive confirmation, but it appears to be the VERY RARE NOE-17.5....(Dies Re-worked) The 17...17.1...and 17.5, all come from the same dies.

And what was that you said about hearing something first in your private message to me? :laughing7:

Hope it is 17.5, but one should never get too excited until it has overwhelming confirmation. But this sure isn't bad news to hear.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Quality over quantity I always say.Nice find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread